Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
err i was just so excited about crossers i meant 3 bt btb weaves.
i also half assing same direction crosser out of normal 3 beat.
I also got forward 5 beat weave down isolated thread the needle and iso butterfly. sorry bout the 3 beat crosser thing, but if it can be done id love to see it as well grin

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
buzzsaw spiral wrap fountains! no idea if thats actually what it's called... in buzzsaw, wrap up hands, unwrap while going above the head, wrap again on the other side, unwrap again while finishing fountain movement

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Ooh, that sounds fun. Okay, that's one of my next targets.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Random plane bending.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I lerned lock-outs and overhead stall transfers the other day smile

Practicing my isolations and butterfly buzzsaw flowers a lot too.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Lets see as of late some fun stuff is...

Butterfly hybrids of the 4p antispin vs extension. Switching directions back and forth. Throwing in some linear extension moves... I think of it like this. a four petal anti spin flower has a petal at 12 3 6 and 9. I jump around and skip petals. So spinning a four petal flower vs extension clockwise. then from the petal at 9 ill jump back to 6 switch direction up to 12 then down to 3.. ect ect

Fountians to long arm windmill to crosser to btb weave back to fountain, multiple buzzsaw flowers. Stall switch to horizontal plane, play around. stall or plane blend back to vertical. ect ect ect ect

Fountain then throwing one poi from the top, catching at the bottom.

antispin flowers, stall each side horizontally say at 3 and 8 switch to antispin horizontal flower, spin around up to horizontal spiral wrap, stall out to wallplane butterfly hybrids.

3 beat weave --> 1.5 pendullum then instantly to a cateye vs isolation hand follows head hybrid.

Various same direction caps, rotating with those. ect ect ect

Its amazing I remember nearly a year ago when I first started my obsession with circles. I would watch videos on youtube thinking I'll never be able to do that. But now I find myself doing all that plus more. I've found poi to be so much more then "moves". To me its such a great tool of expression. Nothing puts me in a trance as much as spinning poi does. I've yet to spin fire though... I think I'm ready though!

Peace, Love and Circles

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Heheh. Awesome.

Any chance of video of the first sequence that you mentioned? Sounds like a groovy idea....

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Learned a pendulum thread-the-needle, and a combination of a pendulum following a three petal antispin flower. Kinda trippy, and good transitional movements. I like pendulums the more I play with them.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenLearned a pendulum thread-the-needle, and a combination of a pendulum following a three petal antispin flower. Kinda trippy, and good transitional movements. I like pendulums the more I play with them.

wha?

270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AllToreUpbuzzsaw spiral wrap fountains! no idea if thats actually what it's called... in buzzsaw, wrap up hands, unwrap while going above the head, wrap again on the other side, unwrap again while finishing fountain movement

good idea wink

AllToreUpSILVER Member
19 posts

Posted:
Wallplane Antispin Flowers... Been trying to learn these for a LONG time now, feels so good!

Oh, and I'm finally comfortable with Cosmos both ways!

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

270 posts

Posted:
Those are both the two things I've most recently learned.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
The pendulum thread-the-needle (maybe there's another name for this, but I don't know it) uses the same motion for both hands, in alternation: in the wall plane, the pendulum swings towards the outside of your body, swings towards the center, and then swing it over your other hand in an antispin (poi spinning towards center of body). The effect is that they align briefly as one swings in a pendulum and the other antispins over it.

The other one is in the wall plane again, and you just do a pendulum with one hand and a wall plane three petal antispin with the other. The pendulum follows the flower hand around, and you get the alignment effect again when going through the top petal.

I wish I could claim to have thought of these, but I learned them from a much better spinner at one of the local jams.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Cosmos? What are cosmos? Is there a handy video in the library?

270 posts

Posted:
It's what we call wall plane meltdowns.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Ah, yes. I can't do those yet even a little. Some day...

AllToreUpSILVER Member
19 posts

Posted:
Not sure if it's cool that I post another sites vid... But it's Yuta! And it's how I learned them. Easy explanation

Cosmos!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
ATU: Of course it is. smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's a pretty sweet vid. Mostly because I always like watching Yuta.

I already sort of understood the motion, but I think it's helpful and encouraging to see someone else do it. Derek doesn't really turn to the side when he does it, but Yuta does a lot more. Also easier to see the bendy-forward and bendy-back motions. Definitely have to work on these again when my current queue empties.

UPDATE: So I did my first two meltdown reps. Screw the queue. Can't sustain it, but this is how all great things start...
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1257439938)
EDIT_REASON: didn't want to add yet another post

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I have recently been playing around with antispin weave variations, but instead of doing an antispin weave, I have stared to have one going forwards and one going reverse, so kinda butterflyesque?

So one hand is doing antispin and the other is doing in spin, but my arms still moving as if it were an antispun weave, the overall effect is looking like an antispun flower inside an in spin flower... Don't know why I have been doing that, but I am sure it will come in benificial at some point. Just got crossers down too (about time). I kept trying and going into butterfly crossers, but its all good now grin

Playing with different CAP patterns too grin
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1257903259)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
So I didn't really "just learn" this, but apparently I've known how to do a wheel plane meltdown for a while now. I just didn't know it had a name, and I'd never seen anyone else do it so I hadn't realized it actually looked kinda cool. So, uh, I guess I'll start using it now. tongue2

DaedraSILVER Member
The Dae Walker
75 posts

Posted:
Right, I've been working at it for like months now. But finally managed one Wibblecade! (3 Poi Wibbling in a reverse Cascade)
I've only managed it once and then it collapsed on me... but it's that all important first step to getting it down!

I've recently, after being inspired by Cyrille, been incorporating other forms of object manipulation with my Poi. So for example, Cyrille has been doing Contact Juggling and Club Swinging tricks with Poi, I've taken the route of Club Juggling with Poi. I've so far managed a normal Three Poi Cascade as you would with clubs and that's about it hehe grin
As well as the Wibblecade with three Sock Poi (^_^)

Once my father gave me a kiwi... I thought it was a rodent and I stroked it until all the fur fell out - White Ninja

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DaedraRight, I've been working at it for like months now. But finally managed one Wibblecade! (3 Poi Wibbling in a reverse Cascade)

+3 interwebs for you sir! I'd love to see that. Lets call it Spunglin (Spinning + juggling

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
My start of tech poi ^_^ finally got down the butterfly side to side variartion with a bit of a stall where they meet in the middle.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

DaedraSILVER Member
The Dae Walker
75 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bjrcboy+3 interwebs for you sir! I'd love to see that. Lets call it Spunglin (Spinning + juggling

+3 whole interwebs?! You are too kind!!

Right, I went to circus school again last night and spent about 2 and a half hours trying to crack 3Poi Juggling... So far my efforts have seen a veritable smorgasbord of facial smacking, groinal whacking and general abuse of those around me. Though I did manage to throw all three and catch all three after those hours. It's not a lot but it's those baby steps towards the finished article!

JayKitty: Nicely done with that grin If you could completely stall in the middle then that'd be wicked!

Once my father gave me a kiwi... I thought it was a rodent and I stroked it until all the fur fell out - White Ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Triquetras in one direction, wheel plane butterfly meltdowns, and the "forward" wall plane butterfly meltdown. And yet somehow I feel unproductive...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Got my hyperloops down...in one of the four basic directions. Starting to get my triquetra in the other direction. Forward btb weave still sucks.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Don't know how advanced, but been playing around with floaters a lot, rev butterfly and floaters on the way down. I love horizontal floaters too, look like some jedi trick or summin grin.

Isolation/Extention hybrids too grin

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: T-S-AIsolation/Extention hybrids too grin

By far my favorite hybrid! Have you tried switching from an Isolation Vs Extension hybrid into a Isolation Vs Antispin flower Antibrid?

Anyways, Lately I've been developing my beta(any climbers here?) on knot theory. Since the orbital stalls thread popped up my mind has been going crazy. I ran out and bought some ball bearing swivels and boy do they make a difference!

My orbitals seem to last for ever and there seems to be no end to the limits of tangled poi. Trading stalls from an orbit, orbit anti spin flowers, orbit iso vs ext hybrids!!

I feel that an iso vs trifoil hybrid in an orbit is possible. I've been experimenting with going into an orbit and wrapping one poi to go into a butterfly hyperloop(butterfloop?) but it falls a part and I get a nasty knot. But I know they are possible with practice.

Oh and throws have been on my mind for months now, as well as meteor. So why not combine the two? Say I'll be in a fountain and throw one poi from behind my head. continue the fountain with the other poi, catch the thrown poi in the opposite hand into a meteor. then throw one again back to poi. Its extremely rough but looks nutty crazy

-Gerald

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Antibrid?

hug

Page: ......