hrcrazyladySILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
I'm making a set of poi for an event where im playing a kid so i dont need to be able to do spectacular things, i mainly just want to run around with ribbons following me.

I tried attaching ribbons long enough to make half circles with each poi to some other poi before i make new ones, and found that obviously having such long ribbons limitted what i could do with out tangling. Weaves/waist wraps etc were fine, but butterflies just didnt work.

I was wondering if any one knew how long tails could be before it became practically impossible to do butterflies?
And/or if any one could suggest more moves that i could learn instead that should be possible with long tails? (Currently have windmill, giant windmill, corkskrew, 3 beat weave (both directions), fountain, waist wrap)
Potentially reels and stalls? havent tried them yet.

Currently cant manage with long tails: butterfly, thread the needle, angel wings.

Sorry if this is a bit rambly... i wasnt sure how to write it smile

Thanks

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think this is a matter of practicing.

I have a vivid image of Dio, one of my own poi gods, doing some absolutely amazing stuff with decent sized zuni tails.

With that said, I think it is MUCH easier to do some poi moves without tails.

If I had to pick an arbitrary length to answer your question, I'd say tails as long as your chain shouldn't be much of a problem.

The trick with tails is to 'miss' by a larger margin. You might be better off with a thread the needle than a traditional butterfly. When you're doing a TTN, try exaggerating the motions at the top when the poi are passing by each other so they are passing with the most space between them.

I also think it's a matter of what material the tails are made of. Something 'kite like' will easily slip by a slight touch whereas something a bit less slippery will probably catch more.

Hope that helps.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
All I can say, being a tailed poi person: Practice, practice planes. The butterfly is possible. Ripstop is a good fabric or satin-esque

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

hrcrazyladySILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I was using about 3 times the chain length hence the tangles :P (but it makes a nice pretty full circle of colour biggrin

Realised i can do a thread the needle, and can do a butterfly if i reduce the tail length a bit... will practice more and try with longer ones again.

Was using ribbons... i quite liked the weight they added so i think i'll stick with them smile