GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Well ok, not lit but still.

I have wrapped some old tshirt material around each of my monkeyfist heads and secured it around them with some quick tie things. This way i can practice with fire and chains inside without getting black marks all over.

The only problem is that they still smell of kero and my craftsman skills with the ties was rather poor.

Maybe a good idea for a new HOP product (if there isnt already one) 2 simple 'smell free' draw string pouches that goes around your poi heads to you can spin indoors...

watch those lamp shades and ornaments!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There have been previous discussions on spinning fire indoors. The construction of the building as well as ventilation and fire sprinklers are the main concerns.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
But this is about spinning unlit wicks indoors, but the wording in the second sentence is confusing, as is the title.

I'd suggest improving your quick tie application skills and applying those in conjunction with a non porous material like plastic to help seal the smell inside,

Alternatively, if you're bringing your wicks indoors for the winter, a few burns with straight white gas will burn off any traces of kero remaining on your wicks.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
sorry, title was confusing. im at work and have been uploading reports all day.
could i just burn the wicks to get rid of fuel and not re-dunk them?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
ummmm...you mean your wicks are loaded with fuel ? and you're spinning them indoors ?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I understand what you're saying Geeza.

Stout, ummmm, that's not what she is saying. Haven't you ever carried your burned tools somewhere, or stored them? They smell for ages.

Generally, the soot smells, and the soot is on everything, not just your wicks. So even if you let them dry out, they still smell.

The only thing that I have found thusfar that contains the smell is metal cans (like paint cans). It doesn't help me with 90% of my stuff. Plastic and fabrics absorb the smell themselves and then you have the poi *and* the covers that smell bad. When I used to spin my staff in the house I would wrap the ends in socks, then plastic bags, then more socks and rubber band it down.

The smell wasn't so bad, though still there, and it didn't get soot everywhere.

But then, I like the smell so....it didn't bother me so much (and if Cantus reads this..you need to hush up right now about how I like it! wink ).

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FreakFlierGOLD Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
The easiest thing i did is just put a pair of socks over each one. If you get a little sock it will fit nicely. If its too loose, then just tie the end. Make sure you let your poi dry off and cool off before putting them in though.

Its going to add a little weight to the poi, but if you dont mind it i think it will help you alot.
cheers!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I use socks as well. Don't think it really helps with the smell much, but then, I don't think the smell is that strong anyway, and I've found socks offer a bit of protection for your wicks. You can aslo risk wrapping your wicks up whilst they are still a bit warmer (not hot!), wheras with plastic you need to wait till they are a lot cooler.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
easiest, best, and most AWESOME way to cover your poi:

1 go to liquor store of choice
2 buy 2 bottles of Crown Royale
3 Drink entirety of both bottles *this part optional*
4 use the awesome purple drawstring bags they come in to cover your poi or staff ends, in conjunction with a sock or some other tighter fitting fabric.
5 Spin

heh, people always laugh at my "crown poi"

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo that sounds cool.
But what is crown royal?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

There have been previous discussions on spinning fire indoors. The construction of the building as well as ventilation and fire sprinklers are the main concerns.

I got a very strange message from Pele on this one. Perhaps I didn't explain myself fully.

I did read your initial post and was adding that you don't need to just spin unlit poi inside! You can light up inside if you take the proper precautions.

I realized that you were talking about unlit poi but wanted to perhaps inspire you to think about lighting up indoors.

I actually thought that you ASSUMED that lighting up indoors was impossible which, of course, it isn't.

I apologize for not making that transition as apparent as possible not only to you but to the "mounting group" of people that I offended.

confused

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
https://www.hyperloophoop.com/component/o...d,13/Itemid,44/

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
It was this sentence..

"could i just burn the wicks to get rid of fuel and not re-dunk them"

That made me think that we were talking about that urban myth about extending the life of your wicks by keeping the constantly fueled. Yea,,,those would stink even more than dry ones, not to mention that unprotected they'd spray a fine mist of fuel everywhere. We all know kero doesn't evaporate very well, so spinning fueled wicks in what I figured was a house (lampshades and ornaments ? ) might be one of those things you'd regret later.

Personally, I'd just make up a set of practice poi heads that resemble the shape and weight of my fire poi but really, I find that dependant on the type of chain one is spinning with. I use ballchain, and given the higher potential for failure when compared to "dog chain" I keep a set of practice poi that are identical to my fire poi except the wicks are worn out.

I'm also prone to high speed wraps, lots and lots of them, so there's another factor contributing to chain stress.

Indeed you can light up inside. Just beware that lingering film of kero that will permeate everything....for a long time.

NYC...mounting group of people you offended ??

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Crown Royal = https://images.google.com/images?q=crown+...sa=N&tab=wi

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo those look tasty.

The hyper loop linky no workie? any one know what was behind it??

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Um.. that link does work.. I just tried it.

Its a beautiful site by the way. ubbangel

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pounce

They look pink and fluffy and are expensive.

A pair of marigolds and some socks might do the trick. my spinning gloves also have kero in them so after ive been spinning and shortening the chains at the same time my index finger has gone all soft and is on the verge of blistering
EDITED_BY: Geeza (1191595677)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Geeza

they look a bit gay! and no chance am i paying £8+ delivery when it simply something wrapped around the ends of poi heads.

Wow. That's rude.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

...constantly fuelled. Yea,,,those would stink even more than dry ones...

Try burning them off with Coleman or any "clean" fuel... there's only Diesel or lighter fuel smelling worse than Kero.

But be aware: lower flash point = hotter flame = reduced longevity of wick...

However I did this with poi and staff before going on air travel and it worked rather good for me and since wick is not exclusively produced by Du Pont anymore I have less ethical restraints.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:

they look a bit gay! and no chance am i paying £8+ delivery when it simply something wrapped around the ends of poi heads. a pair of marigolds and some socks might do the trick. my spinning gloves also have kero in them so after ive been spinning and shortening the chains at the same time my index finger has gone all soft and is on the verge of blistering

ya dont forget about the delicious booze inside the bottles inside the bag.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

they look a bit gay! and no chance am i paying £8+ delivery when it simply something wrapped around the ends of poi heads.

Wow. That's rude.

sorry, didnt mean to be. edited

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Mind me asking what is considered "rude" about this comment?

Written by: dictionary

gay

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.

2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

5. homosexual.

6. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.

–noun

7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.

–adverb

8. in a gay manner.

—Related forms

gayness, noun

—Synonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

—Antonyms 1. unhappy, mournful.

—Usage note In addition to its original and continuing senses of “merry, lively” and “bright or showy,” gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning “homosexual” goes back at least to the early 1900s. After World War II, as social attitudes toward sexuality began to change, gay was applied openly by homosexuals to themselves, first as an adjective and later as a noun. Today, the noun often designates only a male homosexual: gays and lesbians. The word has ceased to be slang and is not used disparagingly. Homosexual as a noun is sometimes used only in reference to a male.

I think it described them well... shrug Personally I would like them to be UV active, serving two in one smile I'm quite certain of my sexual orientation, so I really don't mind.
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1191632023)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink