_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
hello all...

The world of Hop is populated by so many different walks of life and different view points - I was wondering if you guys could help me out a little?

I've struggled with the meaning of the word for a long time, because what I once thought was love, wasn't and the more I analyse it - couldn't have been any further away from what I thought it was..

Is love - thinking of that person just before you fall asleep and then again when you wake..

Is love - hurting like hell when you know something is happening to them that makes them hurt - even if you have never been involved with that side of their life and there is nothing that you can do to help or stop it..

Is love - just by thinking of that person, fills your chest with a kind of pumpy tightness and places a big grin on your face?

Or is it just obsession and infactuation..?

What is your definition of love and how do you know that *you* are 'in love' with someone?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
That's a tricky one! It's probably different for every single person, based on how they grew up and their experiences of loving/being loved (I know, without the definition this can't be easily, well, defined... maybe 'experiences of affection' and the lack of affection? I think it probably depends on experiences of all relationships - parents, friendships etc.

For general definitions, I like the way that in Latin they have 4 different types of love that can be experienced separately or as a mix...

Eros - romantic love, lust etc
Philia - The love of family and friends
Storge - Love of possessions, desires, material things
Agape - unconditional love, love that cannot be compromised (may or may not exist... does our love/relationships always carry conditions?)

I'm not really sure how I define love myself. I don't think it's as simple as thinking about someone all the time, or feeling their pain if they're hurt, or the butterflies in the stomach... maybe a strong combination of all these things.... the actual feeling and emotion is something I don't think can be adequately described with words.

For me, love isn't just about how you feel about a person, it's about what you do as well. I think love grows and changes and evolves... like when you've been with someone for years and years, you might not get the same intensity of feeling and think about them all the time like at the beginning of the relationship, but if all's going well then you get that feeling of security, having someone be there for you no matter what, really knowing them inside out and them knowing all your little quirks too...

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Unconditional love. I know unconditional love. Pure and strong. I think that the love that you are trying to define defenitly has elements of the unconditional to it. I think it's supposed to be easy. A friend described the love they felt to me not so long ago, and I can't remember the words he said, not that it matters, but I got the meaning of it, and I guess thats what counts. He said that he always belived that you had to fight for love, that you had to make compramises, but he said that although that love was good, he had found a love that was so right that it was easy. It was the easiest thing he had ever done. I believe him. When you are inlove you just know it I guess. It's that easy smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Ya, I've always heard that you just know when yer in love, I've always had conflicting thought about it, most likely, I've never been in love.

But as said above, it is diferent for everyone based on how you grew up around love and your experiences with it. As of late, I've thought about if it even exists, I know I've never felt the way that I have heard love described, and it sounds like an impossible feat. If it works awesome, if not then even though it hurts now, You'll prolly be much happier later in life.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by:

It is not until you become a mother that your judgment slowly turns to compassion and understanding.

-Erma Bombeck

Its also not until your a mother that you know what Love is.

Love is many facets in our already complicated world. There is love for a friend, a mom or dad (because they are different), love for b/g friend, love for your child, love for a pet.

Friend Love= The courage to tell them they are screwin up. They tell you your making bad choices. In truth its all about honestly.

Mom= This is a tough one to explain since I dont get along with my mom. For me Mom is like friend except a little more respect.

Dad= For Dad its totally different. He can do no wrong and is very handy to have around. When Dad passes my world will be crushed.

B/F= You Lust, Mature, Love, Hate, Dispise, Renew, Mature again, Totally fall in love with, Repeat minus lust. redface ubblove

Child= Unconditional. smile

Pet= Like a child with A LOT less maintenance. Not something you would run into a street to save. biggrin

I think that sums it up....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Red Dwarf

Love is a temporary hormonal imbalance

eek

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
wow thanks guys -

Tea Fairy.. keep rambling, it's good to read smile

So - if you are in love.. you just know. I've heard that before too.. the sting is that I think I have been in love before ( I just knew it ;o).. but it was a 10th of what I'm feeling.. so if back then I thought was love.. mulitply it to know and what the hell is this feeling? It's scary as..!

I know I have unconditional love - I saw my nephew born and it was the most amazing thing in my life so far.. everytime I walk into a room and he stops crying to smile at me, or wobbles forward to put his arms round my neck when he's standing on my lap I get a feeling that I would lay my life down for this kid - no matter what he ever does in his life I will always be there for him etc.. I think that is the meaning of unconditional love.. love that parents (or aunties wink ) have for children....

.... but this relationship thing is baffling me, as the great Red Dwarf decrees... love is just a tempory hormonal imbalance.. I'm inclining to agree.. I am all over the place.. I'm getting phantom smells of him when he's not about -- the good smells.. he's a clean boy!

I've been very lucky to grow up in very good surroundings with not only my parents, but both sets of grandparents too.. even now smile my friends are some of the most amazing people on the planet - even if I do say so myself wink - even the ones I've drifted from because of busy lives and distances are still very dear to me becuase they are such good people.. I *love* them and will do everything I can to help them.. but to have someone so close - sharing everything, nuances, little quirks, ups, downs....

ahh.. just scares me because I don't know what is going on.. or am I just saying that because I'm scared of letting go of the control I have on me and falling into the abyss of someone else?

Tea fairy.. now I'm rambling lol - and not making much sense! oh well... ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: _Stix_ (1191349193)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Is love - thinking of that person just before you fall asleep and then again when you wake..?
~ Nah, cos otherwise I'd be in love with Jack Bauer... wink

Is love - hurting like hell when you know something is happening to them that makes them hurt?
~ Yes, but in a friendshippy way

Is love - just by thinking of that person, fills your chest with a kind of pumpy tightness and places a big grin on your face?
~ Could be, but very close to lust...

Or is it just obsession and infactuation..?
~ Nah, that's just...obsession and infatuation wink

What is your definition of love and how do you know that *you* are 'in love' with someone?
~ I could be uber-cynical and say "you don't know until it's gone" or somesuch.
I could be poncey and say "you just know"
instead i'll be useless and say "No idea" smile
See you Thursday biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
so it's just one of those things that 'you know' and there is no real 'defenition' becuase it depends on your own personal experiences.. it's just 'there' but you have to 'fight for it' & 'make comprimises'.... hmmmm.. complicated stuff.. ho hum.. meh.

but Durbs.. the Jack Bauer thing? always thought you had a bit of the panchant for rough/tough looking blokes.. is that why you get on Strugz so much?? wink ubblol

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

I have a theory on love, but I really should be writing my assignment.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

A definition of love from an assassin droid of all things. Also see here.

Kupo!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Devils Dictionary

Love: Temporary insanity curable by marriage.

ubblol !!!

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
and love changes over time as well, it deepens when you didn't think it could get any deeper - you catch yourself having just fallen further in love with someone hug

(I celebrated my 17th anniversary this year!)

love moves from those feelings you describe Stix, into a relationship, partnership and journey together, one that is based in love...

eek

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
And now for the scientific view.

Written by:

Love is a chemical state of mind that's part of our genes and influenced by our upbringing.

Clicky

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: That 70s Show

love is an outdated concept used to keep women subservient

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
*giggles* at Rougie's quote.

By the way, Eros and Agape and their friends are Greek, not Latin.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
redface Oops! I was wondering about that one! It's been many years since we covered this in year 9 RE lesson!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
i would say the purest love is unrequited and unconditional.. you love the person no matter what they say or do, they don't have to be in you life but they are always on your mind and even though you can't be with them you'll do everything you can to make their lives better.

or maybe i'm just insane?

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

HikkaisPuppetmember
185 posts

Posted:
“The pain we feel when someone leaves our life is in direct proportion to the joy they bring while a part of our life for a few moments. In my life you made me feel as if I truly meant something to someone.”

“I'm not supposed to love you, I'm not supposed to care, I'm not supposed to live my life wishing you were there. I'm not supposed to wonder where you are or what you do...I'm sorry I can't help myself, I'm in love with you.”

“You may not love me today, tomorrow, or ever, but I will love you until it kills me, and, even then, you'll be in my heart.”

“Love is when you shed a tear and still want him, it's when he ignores you and you still love him, it's when he loves another girl but you still smile and say I'm happy for you, when all you really do is cry.”

I've got more! hug

Mata Ashita!

Time...Line?? Time isn't made of lines! It's made of circles! That's why clocks are ROUND.

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AnueBunnie

Pet= Like a child with A LOT less maintenance. Not something you would run into a street to save. biggrin

I would argue against that! I've run in front of a car before to stop them from hitting my dog who had gotten loose, and was on the hunt for rodents. For some people, their animals are a part of their family-just as much as children.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Well I've read the scientific view and I can understerstand it a lot better now.. it's all the esoteric stuff I can't compute.. lol

thank you for your views and comments.. I am looking forward to things growing because if they feel like this now.. it will only get better and better smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
So many threads (about the topic) - so little time rolleyes wink

Love is a mystery, a riddle, a miracle.
Love is strong, fierceful, unpredictable.

But if you are looking for to love someone, there are 6 billion people out there... the question to me is not "what is love", but why... is love to this particular person.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
"But love is so often a matter of proximity, and a question of need as much as personality." (Brian Aldiss)

I also advertise Milan Kundera's "the unbearable lightness of being", there are many forms of love coexisting in that book.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

I also advertise Milan Kundera's "the unbearable lightness of being", there are many forms of love coexisting in that book.

I second this! Existentialism at its best.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: organic_poi

Written by: AnueBunnie

I would argue against that! I've run in front of a car before to stop them from hitting my dog who had gotten loose, and was on the hunt for rodents. For some people, their animals are a part of their family-just as much as children.

Yes for some people pets are like the family but many people would not go running into the street to save there pet where they would go into the street to save their child.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean that a child is more important to a parent than their pet and if it was a choice between saving one from an oncoming car then the child would win everytime. But I would still run out in front of a car to save my pet, I think most people would.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.