Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
Ok, ive been gathering all the goods, and i have everything i need now to do sparkly poi. But my question is this......i have steel wool, and latern fuel...but how long should i soak the wool in the fuel for? This will be my first time doing it, and i want to avoid all risks that i can, so all advice is much appreciated smile

Pain is pleasure.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
just a quick dip, otherwise you will be holding the steel wool over the flame awhile.Just make sure that it isn't drippy!Good luck and watch out for the flying flaming steel wool pieces.Good Luck grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
can someone please explain this method?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
One question I have is this -- is it really necessary to dip the steel wool in something flamable? I mean, I remember from science class back in junior high school we just took a 9V battery and touched it to a pad of steel wool and it went up pretty nicely all by itself! If you blew on it, it burned brighter and faster.I've been wanting to experiment, but I just don't know of any safe places other than a large parking lot well after midnight...-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
pj,the dip is for quick ignition without blowing, not for lasting burns as with normal poi. a green grass field does nicely as long as there aren't dead things to ignite and better yet is a dewey field.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK