Forums > Social Discussion > Making a break for it, your top travel tips

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
OK, I've searched the threads, and although there are a few travel threads about, non quite touch on this. So in about a years time, (September 2008) I plan to finally go for it and take a 'gap year' or two. (OK so, technically its a career break, but you'll find out why in a minute).

Despite this being something I've always wanted to do, I've also been too scared quite frankly.

And then I went to South Africa on my own for a month this summer, which gave me the confidence boost I needed. And I wasn't ready to leave.

So now I want your tips on exactly how you go about organising such a big trip. I know there is lots of well travelled hoppers on here and I'm sure you've got a wealth of experience you can share.

So far, I have a substansial list of places I want to go to, covering most of the continents. Places I feel safe with, and places I feel very worried about.

How did you organise your flights, I'm on a tight budget. I want to do both paid and voluntary work whilst I'm travelling, where's the best place for a person from the UK to get work, and how do you go about it?

Any other general tips/suggestions for a single female travelling. Places to avoid?!

(And how do you break it to your overprotective parents?)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

(And how do you break it to your overprotective parents?)

I don't think that you can.. my mums well pissed at me right now because I have just moved back from Italy and plan on going to America next summer, she will come around eventually.

First thing that I would do for planning is to look at how easy it is to get working visa's for where you wish to travel and stay.

Non english speaking places might be a problem with language... but put adds in shops and newspapers when yo get to such places to look for work, try local agencies and such.

Some places such as Australia might require you to have a certain amount of readily available cash in an account so it's worth checking that out as well.

Flights are pretty inexpensive if your looking at booking in advance, maybe a limited stop around the world ticket might be to your advantage and will let you decide how many stops and where you want to stop.

Check your currency rates too... some times it might be better buying your currency well in advance. I already have my currency for Ireland in February when me and Pele go there on holiday... so basically that trip is already paid for minus getting Pele to the UK.

I have to seriously start planning for America in this next month too for a working visa and such like.

hug happy planning.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I really dont recommend a female to travel alone. Then again I dont recommend anyone traveling abroad alone.

What I can tell you is if you come to Philly in the states I will gladly put you up for the night and find some work for you to do to help ya out.

As far as your parents, sorry luv your on your own. I dont even know where to tell you on this one.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I really think that travelling abroad on your own can be fine. I did it over summer, and although it was a little scary at first, I was properly organised, and you learn that its not as dangerous and scary as it first might seem. You meet people whilst your there, and as long as you're sensible with it, its fine. If you do go out on your own, you tell the people in the backpackers/youth hostel where you're going, get their advice, tell them when you expect to be back etc.

Ideally, I would want to travel with other people, however, as none of my friends either want to go, or are in a position to go, I don't have much choice in the matter.

Sure, I could just not go, and regret it for the rest of my life, but I'm not willing to let that happen.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
There's places where you can look for people to accompany you for at least part of the road - in Germany, the youth hostel magazine is a good place for those, I'm not quite sure if there's a UK equivalent?
TNT magazine is quite good for finding jobs in Australia and NZ, and it's got a lot of travel advice, too. (www.tntmagazine.com) There are a lot of travel stories, so you'll probably find information of where people lived and worked smile
I'm so jealous of you! I was going to go travelling, too, but PhD problems meant I had to run over (unpaid of course) by a few months and spend lots of my savings frown So it's put aside for the next 17 months.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'm a female who'se travelled solo to 46 countries. If you're not going to the wilds of Afganistan and have a fairly sensible head on you, there shouldn't be much problem. Avoid drinking in public if you're by yourself, if there are places you're worried about being solo, do an overland trip on a truck; it's not a guided tour, it's a way of being transported around with a few meals thrown in, plus there are 20 ish others in the same boat as you.

Just do it! Life's too short to be scared of the unknown.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pricklyleaf

I want to do both paid and voluntary work whilst I'm travelling, where's the best place for a person from the UK to get work, and how do you go about it?

I Don't know how old you are but I work for the Australian branch of https://www.gap.org.uk/ which sets up young people in voluntary work overseas.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Written by: Pricklyleaf

I want to do both paid and voluntary work whilst I'm travelling, where's the best place for a person from the UK to get work, and how do you go about it?

I Don't know how old you are but I work for the Australian branch of https://www.gap.org.uk/ which sets up young people in voluntary work overseas.

I'm tooooo old! frown that sucks.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I ubblol your signature, PK.

Travelling alone is a choice - you don't have to, as you meet heeps of travellers along the beaten path. Travelling alone as a female is not as dangerous as ppl want to make you believe, just you should (as already suggested) stand back from heavy drinking and be wary of spiked drinks. Have trust and be careful at the same time, there are lockers in most guesthouses. Choose your company carefully, 'listen' to your stomach when it comes to choosing people. If it warns you, follow that advice without compromise. There are thousands of travellers out there and you don't have to feel sorry.

As for taking funds, make it a good mix of (little) cash, (more) travellers cheques and (most) in your bank account. In the meantime you can withdraw cash from most ATM's.

As for work, you will find paid (teaching English in Asian countries for example) and voluntary (WWOOFing programme in Australia, Tsunami relief in Thailand, etc.) Great ways of getting around and meeting locals.

As to overprotective parents there is nothing you can really do about it, but growing up within yourself - accept that they love you, might have sleepless nights and talk to you about how worried they are. Accept it, give them a hug and move on. It's your life and there is nobody else more entitled to live it, but yourself. So it will be what you choose it to be.

Happy travels hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Um.. where are you planning to go? I've only been to a few places, but I could probably come up with a few good tips for Aus/NZ/Malaysia- which are all I've been to by myself.

Watch out with round the world tickets if you may be staying more than a year, as most are only valid for 12 months- I've met a lot of people who had to forfeit the return trip (but speaking as someone who is in Australia, doesn't yet have a return ticket or any kind of a plan to get home, maybe don't listen to me biggrin)

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
For obtaining your round-the-world tickets, I'd recommend Trailfinders or STA travel in the UK. They should both be able to offer you loads of advice on wherever you're going to as well, most of their staff are well travelled. Trailfinders also got us rooms in some kick-ass hotels for the beginning and end of the trip... we knew where we were flying to first and where we would be at the end of the trip, everything else was unplanned, which was great fun.

Happy travels!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Travelling is great – nothing beats it for a combination of enjoyment, relaxation, stress, discomfort and perspective alteration wink
Here’s some of my advice:

Flights: Deciding where to go and for how long is really hard, so make it flexible if you can. Look into the various round the world fare options and as mentioned previously Trail Finders are great for advice, especially if you pop to an office for a chat – they even told me I could save money booking direct with BA.

Last time I went the 2 main options were the Star Alliance Round the World trips and One World Explorer, both of which I’ve used and have pros and cons. Changing the dates on these is free or a small admin fee (depending on the fare rules, where you change it and airline) but to change the route costs more. So it works out well not to plan lots of small flights and instead use these tickets for larger hops and use the many small and cheap budget airlines across the world. Although these have a slightly higher chance of crashing than Ryan Air they’re safe enough; with the exception of those on lists such as EU’s Banned Airline List.

The other option is to just book single flights whenever the fancy takes you, looking for deals or going stand by. Freer, but not great if you want to fly during high season on a particular day.

Other travel: Just because we can fly from city to city doesn’t mean we should and it’s definitely not as much fun as every other method of transport. Most of the world travels by bus and if you’ve got the time, and short legs, this is a great and cheap way of travelling. Trains also connect a lot of the world too but are sometimes slower than buses. In many countries there’s several tiers of bus journeys, and by paying a bit more you can get a more comfortable journey but some people prefer roughing it. Generally if there’s a tourist only bus service I’d recommend not using it as there’s a chance it’ll be over priced and sub standard (especially true in Thailand).

Where to go: So, knowing that flights are possible anywhere look at a world map and see where the places you want to go to are. The wider spread means more money on flights as they’re mileage or continent based. Travel plans are like jigsaws with extra pieces: keep trying out combinations until it feels right. Remember a few things:
1) this does not have to be a once in a lifetime trip. If you don’t go somewhere it’ll still be there next time you want a holiday, be it 2 weeks or 2 years long.
2) Options are always open. Don’t do a day by day for a multi month trip. I actually know somebody who did this and it sounded horrible! There’s every chance that’ll you’ll hit a beach you planned to be on for a week and leave the next day, only to find somewhere you stay for a month.
3) Don’t rush. As above, it’s better to stay somewhere long enough than wish you’d stayed longer.
4) Whim, randomness & recommendations. This is what travelling is about and why your plans shouldn’t be too rigid. Don’t turn down adventures because you want to tick the next tourist trap off your list.
5) That list of places you want to go to. It’ll be longer when you come back home. smile

Paid work: Never assume that it’ll fund more than the present and you’ll be pleasantly surprised if it pays for more. Teaching English is a great way of working and settling somewhere for a long time, but it’s not amazing pay, it’s often in a local currency and as a foreigner your expenses are always higher than locals.

Volunteer work: Things like WOOFing are great as you can stay in amazing places for nothing but a bit of work. But there’s a lot of companies offering charity work where you pay to do work and end up doing nothing. If you want to help contact small charities where you think your skills might be useful, sell yourself a bit and be prepared for a no as for many charities having a volunteer is more work than not.

Single female travelling: There’s a lot of them and usual cautions you’d employ in a dark Manchester street apply in a dark foreign street. A lot of cultures have different attitudes to women and many also a whole different set of unfriendly attitudes about western woman. And travelling ‘alone’ means you meet a lot of different people and often find yourself travelling a while with a bunch of people you met on the bus/beach/bar.

Parents: Ah! Luckily I don’t have this problem. My family worries if we don’t travel enough. But I’d suggest talking through their fears with them. There is the common perception that the world is full of dangers, but so is home. There are occasional stories about western woman coming to harm abroad, but these are more news worthy and memorable than the everyday crimes down the street. Just look in your local paper and you’ll find plenty of examples. And my thinking is that if anything bad happened to a westerner we’re never more than a flight from home.

And I think that’s it for now.
A great place to look for advice about every aspect of travelling is Thorntree: https://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dom

Other travel: Just because we can fly from city to city doesn’t mean we should and it’s definitely not as much fun as every other method of transport.

Not much to add but I'd like to echo this part.

I spent my time in Australia traveling by plane because I was in a rush and I regret that now - the only scenery you see is a mile below you and no-one on a plane seems to want to chat much.

Even though it takes far longer to cover the same distance, coach travel is a much nicer alternative.

Oh, and given the effect that seeing you hooping has on men hiding in bushes, investing in some pepper spray is probably a good idea wink
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1191341628)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto to the above two posts! Dom is very wise. Travelling over land can be really good - I've gone all the way through Southern Thailand and Malaysia on trains and the scenery was just awesome... saw massive chunks of the countryside, little villages etc that we would have missed completely if we'd taken a flight. sometimes 7 - 8 hr journeys can get a little uncomfortable, but I wouldn't have changed it, I felt like I'd seen a lot more of the culture and the country just by travelling with all the local people on the trains.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

callygullnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
If I could recommend one place that would be great live for a couple years it would be the Netherlands, preferably Holland. And no, not just Amsterdam, every where you go there is beautiful, and the people are so nice. I have to warn that if you do go there, you will probably never come back. I was only there for 2 days, and I almost didn't come back. It is really hard to explain how the culture is, but the best way I can describe is that they seem less concerned with money, and more concerned with the welfare of their friends and families.

CG

on line college degree

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Oh, and given the effect that seeing you hooping has on men hiding in bushes, investing in some pepper spray is probably a good idea wink

You see, it wasn't me who brought that up!

Anyway, thanks guys, some really good advice, Dom, wow, thank for that.

I will definately be popping into STA I think, and maybe see if I can find a trail finders. My only worry has been mentioned, in that I'm concerned my 1 year ticket would run out.

As for the not flying everywhere, that is my plan, I can't afford to in the majority of cases anyway.

I'll definately be going to South Africa again, I have friends I really want to see again. Everywhere else is uncertain. However, my hitlist includes at least one other african country (not decided where yet, and that is likely to be for a charity project), Japan, New Zeland, New York, and other than that, I'm quite open really. Those are the ones I really want to do. I would love to see the Northern lights some time, so if I could fit that in it would be great.

I really want to target beautiful areas, with lots of culture, India's another possiblility, but for some reason I feel quite out of depth with that one at the moment.

My major concern is funding. With my small wages, and huge rent, saving up is a struggle.

Any more suggestions for organisations, places to visit, anything else or just general travel stories are more than gratefully received. hug

Edit :- I forgot to say the Inca trail in Peru. Just to pick places that are as far away from each other as possible wink
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1192225009)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Heh Prickly
www.helpx.net - is a good free 'wooofing' site
https://www.tsunamivolunteer.net/english/ - for Thailand assistance.
India/Indonesia - Yes there are issues around females travelling alone, as there are in every other country. But really you dont HAVE to travel on your own ANYWHERE in the world - theres always people to hook-up with.
India is a WONDERFULL country, you would get so much from being there and FireTom is here to help you out im sure.
One issue not mentioned - Time of year. There are a number of Monsoonal countries around the world and planning your trip to negotiate these is an important consideration. Whilst its not gonna ruin your holiday (unless you go to Bangladesh or Oxford in July!!!) It may put a damper on things (yes pun intended!) As you would probably not do much tavelling between Dec-Apr in the Northern Hebridees, have a little thought for Asian countries and Oz/Nz as to what you want to do and when you wanna go.
When you thinking of heading out and whats your 1st call?
Eera - Im impressed 46 countries on your own. I just hit 50 countries this year. Hows Macau - I was thinking of heading there and checking out the performance potentials there - any advice/possible contacts?
W
Safe and Sepharific travels

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
strongly recommend working with tsunami volunteer and mirror organization in thailand. I worked loosely with them after the tsunami, and it was an amazing expereince...

Firenix, ya coming or what!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Still planning on it - But ive just been working on SKY's Cirque de Celebrite and they want me for later in th series, aswell as knock on gigs from the agents for being famous!!
So looking like it may well be early Dec now.
When you going away?
I'll certainly give you a PM or email when I know im coming
Hope youre well

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
Well i'm off state side in april 08 and Aus/NZ late sept/ oct so i'm your around then we could meet up for a spin/ coffee/ beverage of you choice?

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
That would be cool Kat. No idea where I'll be at that particular time, but if our paths cross would be great to meet up.

I've just booked my appointment with STA travel now. I'm going armed with my list. I'm quite excited.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'm all excited now.

I've just got back from STA travel. Given me a few ideas, though I'm a bit worried about the cost factor at the moment.

Looks like its going to be Nth America (NY) -> Sth America (inca trail/amazon) -> Sth Africa (and surrounding area hopefully) -> Oz -> New Zeland -> Japan -> India -> home or Europe.

So pretty much a truly round the world trip. Apparently most people don't usually do quite so much in one trip!

Oh well, where there's a will, there's a way!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
Firenix posted the link for the Tsunami Volunteer centre, I also recommend it - especially as they don't want to charge you loads to 'volunteer'. Lots of work still going on, and they still need people - especially as its not particularly at the forefront of attention anymore.

Travelling alone is great, (like almost everyone else said) you meet loads of people, and with just a regular amount of common sense, you'll be fine.

For Round the world flights from the UK, we used www.roundtheworldflights.com for our trip earlier this year, and they were the best we could find (even with my Mum being a travel agent, and giving me the best discount she could, they were still cheaper).

Also, www.jibbering.com/routeplanner has a great clickable map of where the staralliance and oneworld networks fly to and from, and calculates the miles for you.

And in case you didn't know already - book the inca trail as far in advance as you can - like just after you have booked your flights. It fills up quick. We just did it with www.llamapath.com this year, and they were damn good. Not the cheapest, (US$360) but not the most expensive either. Considering the treatment and working conditions of some of the other groups porters that we saw along the way - glad we paid that little bit more.

Oh and if you are not in peak physical condition - A) get on that stairmaster, and B) hire an extra porter to carry some stuff. Sounds soft, but we were the only ones in our group that didn't, and it nearly killed us. and C) give yourself as much time as you can to acclimatise in Cusco.

Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned.

Edit: oh yeah, if you are also intereseted in Volunteer teaching in Thailand (primary school age) I can put you in touch with the school I have taught at (and will be going back to again) They are beautiful people who will look after you like an honoured guest. 30 kms from Chiang Mai in a village school on the edge of the mountains.
EDITED_BY: Mojojo (1193753532)

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
wow crazy journey! - are you going to be traveling in India on your own? I have to disagree with FireNix a little - from my experience western women traveling alone (or even not alone!) in India are treated more badly than in any other of the places youv'e mentioned your going to go (Although I've not been to sth America or Africa - so cant comment on them).

India is my favourite country - and I think has the potential to be the most interesting / involving place on your list, but the way the men treat western women is crap.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I travelled on my own heaps in India (for a total of 2 years) but that was 30 years ago so it's probably not so relevant now. There were only two incidents of actual assaults I even heard of they involved police/military types. But the constant staring and comments of the ordinary men occasionally led me to homicidal fantasies (mild mannered hippie breaks out machine gun on railway station, that sort of thing). It made a lot of difference how one dressed though. More skin/loose hair=more trouble

Personally I prefer to travel on my own, so long as there are occasionally known people to meet up with. It makes you more open to communicate with others, and encounter the kindness of strangers. It can be limiting to just travel in your own little bubble with someone you already know. Being 'on your own' doesn't stop you meeting up with and temporarily travelling with others though and I recommend settling for decent amounts of time in one place every now and again not just moving constantly.

It's sooo easy now the internet has made such an astonishing difference to travel. It's taken away sooo much 'unknown', so much risk, and doing as you have done.. connecting in advance with people on forums... is excellent. www.couchsurfing.com is good. I have used it myself and hosted people too.

If you are coming to Oz, definitely get a working holiday visa BEFORE you come here. Without one it is very hard to find work, and it will be the crappest. With one, it is very easy to find work, and the traveller scene is very established to make your life easy. The backpacker thing can also be bit of a trap though, just going from hostel to hostel and essentially meeting just other travellers.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I think you mis-understood Josh...or maybe I just didnt make myself well understood - a distinct possibility!
I DO think India, some S. American countries and Indonesia, aswell as the Middle East and others are not SO easy to travel around as a female, single or not.
What I was refering to was that its ALWAYS possible to hook-up with other travelers if you want to and this can be a great assistance to people

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
ah yep - ok we agree! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmmm.. i should be *leaving* the UK around september, but am not quite sure where i'll be headed after that. if you'd like to send me a message, mayhaps we may end up traveling somewhere together..

also, mum hasnt accepted the fact that im going overseas yet.. ive barely been away from home for more than a month at a time, let alone 6 tongue

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey,

If I do go to India, then it would only be on an organised volunteer project, as, like I say, not feeling too confident about it.

Thanks for the heads up about South America however, I wasn't aware of that.

As for Africa, South Africa, at least along the coast is safe to go to as a female alone, as long as you're sensible about it!

I suspect that it varies in other parts, I've heard quite good things about Egypt.

And yes, I definately will be staying in some places for a while, I need to work!

Pete - It would be great if we could meet up. My plans are still in the very early stages, but it looks likely that I will be heading over to North America to begin with. hug

Ralph Waldo Emerson