Page:
TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
This is based on a poll from another forum I've been reading recently..

Basically, do you write in cursive?

If not, why not? Is learning cursive a pointless and redundant waste of time or much better than writing in print?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
eek Ok Ok, I concede, or is that Ai Konsed umm ubblol

You've convinced me - I was playing devil's advocate but now I can komfortable say my instinct towards correct spelling, grammar and cursive writing is not snobbery or because I'm old but becasue it's valid, useful, necessary and beautiful. ubbangel

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Before I went to school I was left handed, then some idiot decided they'd be doing me a favour by making me learn to write with my right hand. Then all through school they complained about my handwriting, and I gave up on cursive because it was completely illegible. Instead I use a very simplified print, that just uses the most basic strokes, and can be written quickly. I completely ignore all the rules about always starting letters at the top, as it's sometimes quicker to start nearer where your pen is.

It looks like this:

Non-Https Image Link

I made a font of my handwriting, so I can have a personal touch on printed stuff biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Who writes anymore? My handwriting both in cursive and print is absolutely horrible, always has been. If you know me personally this probably wouldn't surprise you. I tend to talk faster than the MicroMachine man (if you don't know who that is.. well that means you were probably born after 1985 and/or never played with toy cars lol), consequently i think i try and write just as fast and that never works out. I actually hate writing as it is in general so slow and cumbersome.

The funny part is, i have always been artisticly inclined and would spend hours and hours on drawings and paintings etc etc but can't spend a moment to write a word properly. I never really took THAT many notes when in school i just remembered most of it while i spent most all the class time doodling in the margins and what not.

These days I so rarely ever have to actually write anything that I sometimes even forget how certain cursive letters look and have to think about it for a minute.

But anyway, on topic... I use both print and cursive in hybrid form when I write, never consistently either (should see how bad my signature is...) and yes I do think cursive should still be taught as well as sign language. Communication in all its forms should be taught to all kids so that they don't grow up and have problems understanding anyone for whatever various reason. Whether they use it as they get older is their decision, we shouldn't make that choice for them by not teaching it.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
interesting that you use the cursive Z polarity..

Just curious, anyone else cross their 7's 0's and/or Z's? or put a tail on an X?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Deamon_LlamaBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
When I'm doing maths work, my f's become nice and swirly, and my z's have bars through them, but usually they don't.

And usually my handwriting is so messy that even I can't read bits of it. The upside of that is that I'm getting very good at understanding whole sentences when I can't make out half the words biggrin

I'm going to have to try out your style polarity, that looks simple, and still readable.

Does anyone here ever find that they end up writing the loops on their lower case k's backwards? ie. anticlockwise instead of clockwise.

---
No statements are true unless they can be proven scientifically.
---

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I used to write a lot of programming notes so I needed handwriting that differentiated between 2/z and o/0, that's why I use cursive z's and put a diagonal line through 0s (i and : are different heights).

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
I also use cursive z, cross 0's and 7's and started doing them when they became the norm in computer input to avoid confusion. It felt modern to do in the the 80's but now it seems old hat

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
If I want to write neatly I write in print, but I generally write quickly and take a lot of notes that tend to come out in this print/cursive hybrid writing. smile Still all completely legible though, so it's all good smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
I vividly remembr being humbled and shamed by the lovely flowing handwriting of a colleague who subsequently became a very close friend - she's a Thalidomide girl and had no arms and only 3 fingers and a thumb. And our sole concession to her disability (if it can be called that) was to put her keyboard on a boxfile ummubblol

Euonymous Europeus

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mynci, I hadn't thought about txt as short hand. That would be a great use of it. I used my own version in uni as well, and I used a microcassette recorder. wink

There is a big difference between learning cursive and basic calligraphy, which is what alot of the script style of writing is. D'nelian is the style of cursive most commonly taught in the US starting in 2nd grade. I don't like it because of the extra humps on "n" and "m" and such. It is horrible for kids.

I was thinking of this thread when I was writing alot of stuff by hand the other day and I blame learning both for my bad handwriting. The combination of the two is not so nice where when I just print or just script, it's not so bad but it takes more thought and time than I have when I have to write fast.

Wild Child, I work at Xerox by day and I do alot of writing, so I cross "0" and "7" all the time. I also cross my "z" so they are not confused with a two. However, I never see it outside of work at all and very rarely from the engineers submitting jobs, and it makes things wickedly confusing. I wish they would use it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i was taught print first and then some time in primary we moved on to cursive. i never thought of this as important but reading through this thread it may well be partially the reason that i have such terrible handwriting.

its funny thinking about it really because i really want to learn another language, maybe sign, but writing in english is so amazing in itself. hm. who would've thought.

and as someone mentioned earlier, shorthand died with the invention of the typewriter. my mum was a secretary to some layery type persons in the supreme courts here in tassie and had to learn shorthand as part of her training i think. its amazing when she's on the phone she still uses it sometimes and she can write an entire sentence in like 8 pen strokes. its because they take commonly used phrases and turn them into a single sign. maybe one day i'll ask her to write a dictionary of sorts for it.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: