Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 4/5-beat weave, my poi ties my hands togther :D

Login/Join to Participate

Enkelinewbie
10 posts

Posted:
I have searched through all the topics already, so I hope it's okay to post this question! I'm trying to do a 4 or 5 beat weave, ("helped" by my cat who keeps pouncing on the tails of my poi XD) and have watched the video so many times, copied the arm movements, everything. But whenever I try to do it (on my left side) my left poi wraps itself round my right arm. What am I doing wrong?

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
I can't help but have a similiar problem,
I have tried it one handed and can reach over and everything but my poi just bash into each other :S an then tie my arms together!

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
bring the poi across to your right side faster.when on your left side after you have flicked your right hand back over your left wrist keep both hands in that position and bring straight back to the right side again. that should fix it. if you leave it too long then you will end up actually wrapping them around your hand like you have described biggrin hope that helps. if not then post here again and i shall ponder some more... biggrin

if i could be a busy busy bee...

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah, what Lizzybeth said. Whe I first did the 5bt I had that problem, I found the easiest way around it was to switch body sides with a jerky movement which I have since worked on smoothing out.

It is a LOT faster transition of sides than standard weave though!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
the best way i've found to learn/teach the 5 beat weave is one poi at a time and using the push/pull method.

Try this, hold your right arm straight out pointing in front of you, straight out from your shoulder, NOT centered in front of you but straight out.

Turn your palm down, and bend your wrist so your hand is pointing mostly down (as much as your wrist flexibility will comfortably let you). Then twist your wrist just a bit so your fingers are pointing down and right. If you imagine a giant box that is exactly your height and the width of your shoulders, you fingers would be pointing at the bottom right corner.

Now, take your left arm and extend it, also palm down. move your left arm over so that your left arm is under your right, crossing at your wrists. Bend your hand up so fingers point up and palm points away from you. At this point your hands should essentially be hooking around each other, left underneath right. you may have to bend your arms a bit. This position you are in now is the complicated part of the 5beat weave.

Now then, wrists all hooked like that, use your LEFT arm to PULL your right arm over to the left side of your body. Thats the transition to the left. note, your LEFT pulls your RIGHT to the left.

Practice just this part a few times, get comfortable with the hand position, get comfortable with your arms, burn this piece of the motion into your muscles. Don't worry about the lead up or the unwind at this point, just work the transition. Then switch everything and use right hand to pull left arm to the right side. Again, get comfortable with this, do it with your eyes closed, do it with arms bent slightly, do it with the backs of your wrists touching instead of front to back. Just remember, bottom hand hooks UP, top hand hooks DOWN and you are always moving to the same side as the BOTTOM arm. (this is for FORWARDS weave. in backwards weave everything is opposite and you PUSH the bottom arm to the same side as the top arm.)

Once you feel comfy with this, put a poi in your BOTTOM (the pulling) hand. To follow the above, stick out your right arm, hook down and a bit out as indicated.

Spin the poi in your left hand on your left side in wheel plane. Concentrate and get ready, cross the poi over to the right side (going UNDER your right arm) and DON'T CROSS BACK, keep the poi on your RIGHT side and spin in wheel plane for a few revolutions, get centered and concentrate and when ready...

Cross back over to the left, BUT as you are crossing come up and HOOK the right arm JUST like you did without poi, pull it over to the left hand side just like you did without poi.

Keeping your left poi spinning, reset your right arm. Repeat all the above several times until it feels comfortable. Switch the poi and do the exact same but with opposite arms, poi in right hand, left arm extended etc. Again get comfortable, burn the motion in. DO IT WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED SEVERAL TIMES. I can not stress this part enough, closing your eyes, in my opinion, helps tremendously both for the move you are working on and helps you to FEEL where the poi are.

So now you've got HALF of the cross each way with ONE poi. NO its not time to use the 2nd poi. Instead reset to right arm out, left hand holding poi and do the first part of the cross. Once you get over to your right side, don't just reset, instead finish the unwind circle, do a "reset circle" on your left side and then come DOWN on your right arm and HOOK the right arm with your left wrist.

At this point your LEFT wrist will be pointing down and your right hand pointing up (just exactly as when you practiced with the right poi only, and when you practices crossing from left to right by PULLING with your right hand).

Anyway, once your wrists connect, pull your left (poi holding) arm over to the RIGHT side with your right arm. You WILL lose control of the poi at first. It's gonna happen, deal with it. Do it again, and again, and again. You basically have to give up some of the spin control on the single poi when your wrists connect. In reality, once you get this move down, you don't lose control anymore, but change HOW you control it. Regardless, you will probably find this part of the transition the hardest, maybe not, but I know I did. Essentially, in forward spinning 5bt weave the BOTTOM hand controls the transition. If you just let the poi do whatever it wants and concentrate on pulling the arm over you will find that the circle completes itself with its inertia.

Once you've crossed to the right, unwind, do a reset circle on the right hand side (remember poi still in left hand at this point) and then do the hook and pull with the left hand just like you started this whole thing. Do this WHOLE motion several times. Start learning to do without the reset circle. DO THIS WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. Feel the poi, get used to the one poi version. Put the poi in your other hand only, do all of the above.

You now have all the pieces, time to put em together. Get two SOFT poi. Start spinning and just do a transition from one side to the other with both poi. STOP, reset, do it again. then do the other transition, again with both poi. Feel it, get the transition burned in. Again, close your eyes and do it. Once you feel good with this, then try going right to left and then left to right without reseting. Slowly build up to a good full 5beat weave. You may want to just do a 4 beat weave so you don't have to reset (this means do the transition with wrists hooked one way, then go back like normal 3beat weave)

Tips:

*In forward spin, BOTTOM hand ALWAYS controls the transition, the TOP hand is just pulled over. Let the top poi just flow and follow on its own.

*DO NOT force the top poi over, it'll come by itself.

*you will get hit, suck it up. This is why i say learn forward first, hurts less getting hit in the arm/stomach/leg than it does the head, and its less scary. (just watch out for the ole sack...)

*you may find that adding a BIT of speed to the TOP hand poi just before you connect your wrists helps the poi stay in split time.

*don't give up, try again and again, if you frustrate yourself then stop and go back to drilling the pieces as I laid out above.

*sleep on it. It's always amazing to me how I can't do a move one day, i'll drill the pieces of it and the next day GOT IT!

Hope all that helps.

Oh, and the transition, in my opinion isn't really faster than in a 3 beat, your hands are just MUCH closer during the transition so it feels like its faster, in reality the time it takes for each individual poi to move from one side to the other is the same as in a 3 beat, you just have less of a delay between when you transition the first poi, and when you transition the second (do them at the same time).

GOOD LUCK!
EDITED_BY: Imbalance (1190945281)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
right sooooo was browsing around and happend across Nick's 5bt weave video on his website https://www.playpoi.com/poi-lessons/5-beat-weaves
Check that out, he mostly says the same as I do above, with his own variations in teaching style and such. And while you are at it, explore his site and buy his DVD "scales of poi" For beginners its chock full of great concepts and ideas and drill and such.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Enkelinewbie
10 posts

Posted:
WOW!!!! Thank you so much everyone, I have finally got it!!!!! (on one side, but I'm sure that now I understand the movement, I'll be able to get it both sides soon!) My only trouble now is keeping them in split-time - they swing across my body together - but I practiced what you suggested Imbalance, speeding up my top hand poi, and it's beginning to work, so I'll get it!!! Yay!!!! biggrin

decemberscalmSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
Eeek! I'm trying to learn this in reverse and transfering from 5 beat foward to 5 reverse and vice versa. Its getting crazy with all these turns. I've been getting dizzy in my last few practice sessions.

I'm pretty sure the only hinderance in learning the five beat is that one is spinning faster than the other and screws it up on the cross over. Once your able to slow one of them down you've got it. It takes a bit of concentration at first to keep the poi seperated and not swinging over with each other but it will evenutally become very natural. I don't three beat anymore, and I may have forgotten how o.o.