Forums > Technical Discussion > SuperDuperUberLoops with chain and fire??

Login/Join to Participate

Axel_Urgelles1BRONZE Member

Posted:
I was looking in the video lessons the SuperDuperUberLoops, but he uses the socks. Do you think is possible to do with normal metallic chain and fire?? Because I tried some times and the chain block the movement.

thanks

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
When you are able to do this move with sock Poi,

it's possible to do it with chained Poi too.

But be carefull and practise with your chained Poi

without fire and than when you are sure you per-

fect it, you can do it with fire too.

Also depends on kind of chain you are using,

you may need to change it or use half rope,

half chanded Poi.

He is Meenik,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I asked Nick about this at his superduperuberloops workshop at Play this year. Answer is yes, it is very possible. I've not tried it myself yet though. I'll have a crack at the weekend and let you know how I get on smile

have fun smile

Axel_Urgelles1BRONZE Member

Posted:
the chain I use is full metallic... even like that is possible?? I tried but always finally block...

what do you think? do yo have any video?

thanks

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Orbitals have been done for years now. With fire. Anytime a glowsticker gets his hands on chains its one of the first things attempted. Metal ball chains will prevent as much spin sometimes depending on the ball size.

We are defined by the choices we make

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I dont understand. Why arnt they just called orbitals (with fire or sock?)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
because meenik did a workshop on them called SuperDuperUberLoops even though glowstickers have been doing them callling them orbitals for yonks (check the tekno turtles vids from waay back). But glowsticker/poi terminology isn't always the same.

Personally I find it easier with chains than the socks I use, also Meenik recommends use of a swivel at the poi head

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
are right I get it. ( ) Loop sounds more chilled out and hippie whilst Orbital sounds more techy and raver

So i could take the stomach trace, do it with poi and call it the belly loop-de-loop?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Geeza

I dont understand. Why arnt they just called orbitals (with fire or sock?)

Indeed, they are orbitals. Pioneered by years of glowsticker love. They are possible with any flexible lead including ball chain.

Anything that can be done with a glowstick can be done with socks or fire. Says me. Maybe not BY me but says me. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LazyAngel

because meenik did a workshop on them called SuperDuperUberLoops even though glowstickers have been doing them callling them orbitals for yonks (check the tekno turtles vids from waay back). But glowsticker/poi terminology isn't always the same.

Personally I find it easier with chains than the socks I use, also Meenik recommends use of a swivel at the poi head

Nick already said it was out of fun that he did it. Whatever i still dont agree with it.

The point is this. There is already enough seperation in the 2 communities that we dont need anymore by taking a glowsticking move and renaming it because "terminology isn't always the same".

Nick said in the other thread. He doesnt see a problem with changing terminology and he wouldnt see a problem with someone renaming a poi move something else. There is a HUGE problem with this because it has the possibility to stunt future advancement of the art because people wont understand each other. If i called a weave a mctwisty and then taught a group of people "this is called a mctwisty" and they were talking to someone online about poi moves they would just be wasting time trying to explain how the move they are doing (weave,mctwisty) is the same exact thing.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Personally, I figured everybody would call them orbitals eventually... and yes, I was having fun.

I will make it more clear in my posts and videos that the the glowstringers were calling them orbitals before I started doing them with poi.

Also, if I had LEARNED the move from glowstringers I would probably call them orbitals, but I figured it out not knowing about orbitals, so SuperDuperUberLoops seemed like a funny evolution of "hyperloops."

I think the community will benefit from a little playfulness with names and language. Some people take this stuff seriously but I'm sorry I think it's fun and you'll just have to accept that.

I DO want to give everybody the respect they deserve though, and like everybody sometimes I make errors of judgement... so I think it's good that people are raising the issue.

I'll find time to make some adjustments to tiles/etc. to better reflect all of this.

Sadly, I've had almost no exposure to the glowsticking world at all... so maybe this will change that. It would be fun to get some exchange going. smile

Peace,

Nick

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Meenik

Sadly, I've had almost no exposure to the glowsticking world at all... so maybe this will change that. It would be fun to get some exchange going. smile

Peace,

Nick

You definitely should take a look. Like the poi community, you might have to look around for a bit to find quality but it's there. Have Cleric give you the tour. Where's that old school Texas Turtle video that has tons of orbitals? That was like 5 years go no Cleric?

And you should also check out freehanding videos, some of them are sick. Cleric, where's a good Rai video?

Speaking of which, we never got the PERFECT freehanding with fire video. We should try to do that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I would be glad to give the tour.

If you have AIM you can IM me at Drsnot
or email me at Drsnot@gmail.com

There's alot more to glowsticking than just swinging sticks. We have a culture 2 and i'd be more than happy to share it with you.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Id love to see nick doing some glowstringing or even better, some videos posted on glowsticking.com.

I think it would bring communities together a bit more

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
YAY!

My job here is done.

*Swooshes cape behind my back and flys off into the sunset.*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

decemberscalmSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
I can do orbitals (I call them super duper uber loops alot as well becuase its fun to say) with my chains, but I can't move it anywhere besides rotate around it so it comes undone. I have swivels at the end of my poi, I guess is If I move them to the handles it might help. Will try it soon.

I saw a video of tracing with fire hands, it was pretty sweet ^_^.

Freehanding with led balls doesn't really work out that well, regardless of the numerous times I've done it in vain. If you have a little bit of chain to grip it, it isn't as bad. In other words, Ball and Handle.

Do Poi'ers in general understand Glowstringing culture? Bassically its the same as raving culture. PLUR.
EDITED_BY: decemberscalm (1191265056)

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: decemberscalm

Do Poi'ers in general understand Glowstringing culture? Bassically its the same as raving culture. PLUR.

Basically.

On glowsticking.com we are very strong on community. Like oldschool raves where you could go be welcomed to the collective and just have a good time. Thats one of the great things about the site is the community is so strong. Hell all my freinds that i have now i met through glowsticking.com one way or another.

We frown upon competitions / battling where glowsticks are involved since competition is just not part of the rave culture. Another thing frowned upon are "crews".

Crews in the rave scene just bring a different vibe. They seperate themselves by repping a name or a color or whatever they choose. This isn't something we support.

If you guys want i could def post up some orbital videos here to give you some tips. Don't know how well it will translate to chains because i use strings myself.

If you ever join up on glowsticking.com we are a very welcoming community we just ask that you respect those things i posted about above.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No need to translate it to chains. That's our job. biggrin

And I don't think the poi hippies need the anti-battling speech. We don't even really know what battling is. wink But it is important for me to realize that there is a different between the "glowsticking community" and the amazing "glowsticking.com community" that I know and occasionally love.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Well no i wanted to throw it in there since there are some fire tribes that are known to compete "friendly" or have talent show type competitions.

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
....occasionally love? Well... we ALWAYS love you. In a pat you on the back firm handshake kinda way.