Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Waist Wraps, BTB Wall Plan Weaves. Wanna help me define?

Login/Join to Participate

decemberscalmSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
I posted this in regards to a thread about Wall Plane Weaving in the GS:C forum. I defined evrything as well as I can. Care to discuss? ^,^;

"For future reference: Side's equal where your arms rest naturally on your body. Your front is obviously your face and down, and your behind/back is obviously where your bum is.
Swing means a rotation.

LOL This'll be fun to define. Yey for technicality!!! ^_^ The line between Wall Plane BTB and Crossing BTB and Waist Wraps is pretty blurred.

Wall Plane weave, your poi swing in front of your body, cross on your left side (if right handed and doing a foward weave) and than swing around your back and than the pattern repeats.
I'll call if this Body Wall Plane Weaving

BUT, if thier short enough they can swing in front of your body and behind your arms with enough space given. That is also a wall plane weave.
I'll call this Arm/Wrist Wall Plane Weaving

Crossers. Your arms cross over each other in front of you and STAY there. One poi swings in front of you, crosses on the side closest to the hand controlling it, and than swings behind you. The other poi does the complete opposite, meaning it crosses on the opposite side. I guess you could do a BTB crossers and it wouldn't be considered jedi, but it would require a good deal of felexibility and practice with normal crossers and BTB moves.

BTB Weave, your poi swing in a wheel plane, they make circles on both sides of your body. They swing on one side, cross behind your back, and than swing on your other side, and the pattern repeats.

BTB Wall Planes Weaves are done in a wall plane, they make make circles in front and behind your body. and cross at the sides.

A Waist Wrap in all regards is technically a BTB Wall Plane Weave. It swings in front of your body, cross's, and than swings behind your body;repeat.
A Waist Wrap is a Club swinging term that Poi swingers stole to mean both hands wrap around your waist. I'm not sure if GS:C defines it as that as HoP does.

I guess if your skilled enough you could do a shortened version of BTB Wall Plane Weave which would weave Plane your wrists/arms instead of your entire body. Than it would make it a BTB Wall Plane Weave instead of a Waist Wrap as your arms wouldn't be wrapping around your waist.

A reverse BTB fountain (not including a BTB windmill. I don't see how thats even possible O.O.) is easy as being able to wall plane weave to reverse wall plane weave just like a normal fountain. I guess you could consider it Waist Wrapping on one side and transfering into a waist wrap on the other side.

Whoo ^,^; Feel free to argue with me."

I'm pretty sure you can do a BTB fountain with a foward windmill even if it will look pretty rough because of the nature of how Waist Wraps look. ubbrollsmile I'm SO mess with this stuff this week.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: decemberscalm

A Waist Wrap is a Club swinging term that Poi swingers stole to mean both hands wrap around your waist. I'm not sure if GS:C defines it as that as HoP does.

confused
I don't think I've met or spoken to anyone who says that a waist wrap means both hands wrap around your waist.

Most either say it's just wall plane with one hand BTB or that it's the same as the club swinging move.
Obviously I've only spoken to a fairly small sample group of the global poi spinning community though.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

49 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3_16_64

Thats a Waist Wrap. Both Hands are behind the back.

What the video is showing could also be classified as a BTB fountain (w/o windmill).

Its wall Plane Weaving BTB to a Reverse BTB Wall Plane Weave

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: decemberscalm

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3_16_64

Thats a Waist Wrap. Both Hands are behind the back.

To me, that's a behind the back half waistwrap - a full one also has a section in front of the body.

This is a topic I'm going to bow out of now, mainly for the sake of my sanity - I'm not going to let myself get caught up in another waist wrap thread.
There are a few around - the most recent is [Old link]
They're probably worth a read if you can ignore the ranting wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

49 posts

Posted:
Hah ^^. I just realized I already read that thread.
So yes, I forgot that a waist wrap weaves all the way around your body, which includes 2 wall planes weaves and 2 btb wall planes weaves. Thanks for clearing that up Bovril.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

This is a topic I'm going to bow out of now, mainly for the sake of my sanity - I'm not going to let myself get caught up in another waist wrap thread.

Hahahaa - What Bov said!!

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
I believe the reason its called a waistwrap is because of the encyclopoidia, but the name doesn't fit at all, cause the poi don't wrap mad BTB wallplane weave gets the point across extremely well I think, plus the more techy the move sounds, the better, right?

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
OK, wallplane weaves and waist wraps are NOT the same thing. They're related, but distinct moves.

It's called a waist wrap because it's an old club-swinging move. Weaves were called cross-follows back then, trivia fans!

So here's the breakdown of the moves.

A wall plane weave is a forwards 3bt weave to reverse 3bt weave and back again, done in the wallplane, with the transition between forwards and backward either in front of you, or behind you. A fountain is where the forward to backward transition is done low, and the backwards to forwards bit is done high.

A waist wrap is very similar, but done using a 2bt weave base, rather than a 3bt weave one. It also involves carries from the end of the pattern back to the start again. Say you're spinning anti-clockwise, and you start the pattern on your left hand side... the order of beats is this:

LH: behind your left hip
RH: behind your left hip
LH: in front of you
RH: In front of you
LH: in front of you
RH: In front of you
LH: behind your right hip (at this point your LH starts to carry the poi over in front of you, and start step 1 again)
RH: behind your right hip (at this point, your RH will carry in front of you, following your left hand, into step 2).

To do this behind the back, take the steps above and swap wherever it say "in front" for "behind" and vice versa.

A full waist wrap is simply a front waist wrap linked to a BTB waist wrap.

It's also worth noting that there are 4 front waist wraps (left to right or right to left, with high or low carries), and 4 BTB ones (same as above). This means there are actually 8 full waist wraps that are possible (I can only do about 3).

Hope that helps! biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

49 posts

Posted:
This stuff is what I want to learn x.x Im still cleaning up my btb 3 beat weave.