Forums > Other Toys > Hang/ Caisa - Thread (beware of senseless beauty)

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well I got myself a new toy... and it's so immensely beautiful that it will kill some of my spinning time.

But let's start at the beginning. Last year that dRedlocked dude, named Danny came to Goa and had a Hang in his possession. Not only that, but he played it (very well) and I was mesmerized...

You dunno what a "Hang" is? We'll come to that later.

So on my return to Munich, I go into the park and meet this young lady, also having a "Hang" and I think to myself: "Dude, what a "coincidence"...." I ask her where to get it and she tells me: "Well, that won't be easy. Check on the net for yourself, but the conditions are like this and that."

Hearing what is required to get a "Hang" I was almost fainting, checked the net later and found out she was right. Those people are nice people, but also ubbloco No way I am going to put up with that.

So I call her up and she makes me a contact. And now I have no "Hang" but a "Caisa" - which does the job nicely.

I'm an apprentice, but hey - practice makes the master... looking forward to show anyone coming to Goa this season and am thralled to play along with "HangMasterDanny"

Oh, almost forgot:

This is a "Hang" -

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_rXcdcDB2S8

And this is a "Caisa" -

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FvQSfnHTj2o

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1190509536)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
WOW! Thats so beautiful! Almost like a backward steel drum! Thats something I'm going to have to keep my eye on!

Edit, those link to the same video by the way
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1190486372)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks hun - I've been to busy denying YouTube putting cookies on my lap smile and yupp, it's basically a reverse steel drum smile glad u like it
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1190509680)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Cool. I think i saw a guy at the national folk festival with one of those or some thing like that.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
that Hang drum sounds sweet!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I hate thease things, they are ok for a while but after a couple of hours the pentatonic scale really grates.

tho i thing you might be able to get non pentatonic ones now.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
what a strong wording for such a sweet instrument... wink I agree with you, Nx? on the pentatonic thingy (but "couple of hours" may have at least two or three zeros' behind the number, at least for me) - initially I've been after a chromatic one, but couldn't get one in time (unfortly)...

Next year it might be right - in the meantime I bliss out on pentatonics... It's just the sound itself that mesmerizes me.

It is so chilling...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1190740167)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmmm... I played with...er... Jay's I think it was at UberParis... Lushness.
I don't think i'd ever buy one based on price/time and also as Nx says, it is a bit limited in it's tonal range after a few years. Live it gets drowned out very easily, but for chilling with some beats they're sexy.

I think i'll just borrow everyone elses smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'll let you play mine, if you make it to Goa this season *wiggles eyebrows* wink

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Oh wow! That's really cool! I've never seen one before.

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
aaaw. its so pretty. i could listen to that all day.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Enchanting!!

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

LLLLnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi FireTom,

I'm interested in how you find the Caisa, I have one (in Pentatonic F) but can't really find much about them and your the first person I've found other than Caisa Bill.

There's apparently another instrument coming out from a different company which is supposedly like the hang but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Regards,

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I met a guy in Thailand that had two Hangs, I think one was in treble and one bass, he played both. He also used a kick and did a variety of other things to produce 'tribal trance' or some such thing. sounded pretty nice. I think Meenik and co would know him, he played at the bar nearest to Pai play camp.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MariannaBellyDancernewbie
9 posts

Posted:
That was beautiful!!

Marianna

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
LLLL You can reach CaisaBill via his YouTube account... well, if he's checking I suppose... rolleyes

Other than that, PM me and I will send you Nadines number - she's the one who I got my Caisa from.

Another company doing Hang/Caisas? That'll be very interesting!

Playing two of them at the same time... wow sounds awesome redface currently I am working on getting ONE full tune on my single one ubblol

Anyone has some key combination/ notation for a Pentatonic F?