Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Sheffield Poi in the Park Birthday: 20th October 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, Si here with an official Poi in the Park Sheffield Birthday announcement..

I can now confirm that our Birthday PiP will be taking place on Saturday, October 20th, from 3pm onwards.

The location is as follows: Endcliffe Park, off the Hunters Bar/Eccleshall Road Roundabout, Sheffield.

For those of you using sat nav to find your way, the postcode is: S11 7AB.

As in previous years the day is going to be a whole lot of fun, with lots of crazy things going on during both the day and night. We intend to have a few workshops running during the day (anyone wanting to run one or suggest what they'd like to learn please get in touch in the weeks to come), along with games and other activities, so whether your coming down to teach, learn, play or just be a monkey in a field for a day it should be fun for everyone!! :-)

For those of you who haven't been to a SheffPiP Birthday before, we like to keep everything very relaxed and groovy (as a certain crazy orange fruit repeatedly says...), which means there will be people from all walks of life, with loads of different props and differing skill levels; from those who perform for a living, to those who have quite literally never picked up poi, juggling balls etc.. before.

In the evening we will be having a renegade based fire show, where we encourage anyone who is comfortable and sensible with fire to get up and show us what they love doing best.

We will save the pros. till the very end because the show should be more about people who love fire than those who live fire, and we want you all to feel totally relaxed about spinning in front of us, regardless of skill level (again as long as you are sensible and safe with fire).

NB. Poi in the Park Sheffield is not liable for any personal injuries sustained while performing with fire. All individuals perform under their own consent. First Aid equipment will be provided should any accidents occur, and fire marshalls will make themselves aware to you before anyone lights up.

When the fire dies down we have also got St. Andrew's Church Hall for the night as we have had in recent years. This will provide a venue for more spinning, drinking, bouncing around and general madness for the remainder of the night. The hall comfortably sleeps over 50 people, and is fully equipped with kitchen and toilet facilities, so expect a continuing supply of tea, cakes and biccies...!

The large room will be allocated as the sleeping room, and past 2am music will have to be kept to a minimum to let those who wish to, sleep. However the small room will be an all-night UV room for those of you who aren't planning on sleeping.. ;-)

Although SheffPiP is a totally free event to attend, I do have to cover the base cost of hiring the hall for the night, and as such all those who wish to stay over will be asked to donate a modest £4 towards their stay. However, depending on how many people stay over, if i end up breaking even this year any money left over will be used to buy some yummy breakfast treats for all those in the hall... :-)

Those wishing to stay for the night, can you please email me over the next few weeks so i can guage numbers, and include any others you know of who may also wish to sleep over. The email address to use for this, and all enquiries is:

sheffpip@googlemail.com

That's about it for now. I'll post up a contact number for people to use closer to the day, but in the meantime i'll list below a summary of important information..

When: Saturday 20th October 2007, 3pm till 9am Sunday.
Where (Daytime): Endcliffe Park, Eccleshall Road. S11 7AB
Where (Night): St. Andrew's Church Hall, Hanover Way. S3 7RQ
Who: Absolutely anyone and everyone.
Price: Free for all during the day. £4 to sleep in the hall.

So, get booking those days off in your diaries and get those train/coach tickets sorted cos this is one day you're not gonna want to miss out on! :-)

Stay tuned for more updates and keep those suggestions coming for activities and workshops.

Also, anyone wanting to do a non-renegade performance please email me with details of your routine, any music you may want playing etc..

Peace n Pineapples

Si

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

ooh pip hoodies sound good if they're a) pretty and b) reasonably priced.

Also I like the idea of the fire spin for n00bs, I'd class myself as that. smile

ditto

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
hmm, seems like there's a little interest in hoodies. right then, i need to know sizes and preferable colour from those interested. the options are: dark red, blue, navy, black, olive and grey.

SO

anyone wants a hoodie, send me a PM with name, colour and size. Check out my gallery to see the two possible logos we're gonna use..

matty390GOLD Member
71 posts

Posted:
ill be coming along with eight or so guys, a few of which will be staying, its just getting to the park frm the train station now :S

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
ah yes, the station to the park.. well as you come out of the train station if you turn to your right the bus interchange will be signposted (literally its about 100 yards away..). From here there are several buses that go towards eccleshall road/hunters bar.. i'll find out tomorrow which ones stop by the roundabout at the entrance to the park and let you all know..

only a few more days to go now, and the weather forecast says it will be sunny...! yes!!!!! :-D

ooh and i will have a PiP Hoodie ready for the event so people can see what they look like, i'll have to make orders afterwards for anyone who wants one.. check out the finished logo in my gallery. had to get rid of the fade so it wouldnt cost a fortune to transfer, but still looks wicked!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
If there are any poi spinners who're interested in meteors but can't get them to work, can i suggest they bring them along and I'll be happy to do a workshop on the basics.

(in fact, anyone who's got a set of meteors, feel free to bring them with you and I'm sure they'll get used).

A lot of people seem to think meteors are very difficult, but, if you've got a few poi basics down solid (3 bt weave, reverse weave, turning etc) then it's a fairly straightforward progression to meteors.

So, bring them along smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Sadly can't make it due to funding; have a good un one and all smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
OWD, I don't have meteors, but am interested in learning!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Si check your google mail... i emailed you a line drawing of the logo.

addict
498 posts

Posted:
i'm interested in meteors too, but also dont own them/one? do you refer to them as pairs or one? one toy but two ends... and yeh me and amy could do with knowing what bus to get from the station. i know where the bus station is so that's not a problem smile not long now! bounce

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
right, update on getting to the park. Buses that go from the interchange by the railway station up to the roundabout next to the park are:

No. 65, 272 & 218 on a regular basis.

pk cheers for the image mate, got the logo down t shop so will have a tester hoodie on saturday for people to see and then will get them ordered after the weekend depending how many people want one :-)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

OWD, I don't have meteors, but am interested in learning!

If everyone who does have a set brings them down I'm sure they'll be happy to let other people have a go with them- I'm sure you chat with more HOPers than I do, use your networking to put the word out smile (for meteors and climbing rope)

An alternative, if anyones got some used climbing rope knocking about, is to bring that down and I can do a 'monkey fist knot' workshop.

The rope will need to be in lengths of approx 3 spans (1 span=fingers to fingers when arms stretched out fully)

A rope of that length with the ends in monkey fist knots will give a very nice set of meteors.

Written by: TastesLikePurple

i'm interested in meteors too, but also dont own them/one? do you refer to them as pairs or one?

I just call them meteors, even though there's only one item (I guess the plural comes from it having two ends, as a meteor is essentially two ends joined up by the middle bit).

Whoops- I just called it/them a meteor (singular) and it sounded right!

I guess you can call them a set of meteors and also call it a meteor.

Don't worry about, just learn to spijn the things (thing?) smile
EDITED_BY: onewheeldave (1192653650)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
could always buy these? si

Dont know if it would be more cost effective for you... I just went in there and dropped all of the prices on every item, so now there all at cost price... I got some of this gear when I made it.. the print is still on every thing fine after like 3 years and loads of washing... I shall have my bag with me on the weekend if you wanna see it.

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
yes mate, awesome! bring em down. that means we can give people hoodies for even cheaper and they're even better.. the pip lovin's a comin! ;-)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Arrrgh. Looks like i cant come now frown

I forgot i had a friend staying with me this weekend who probably wont be up for a mission to sheffield. Balls!

"Don't do it naked!"

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
frown noooooo!! Sandy!! I was really looking forward to seeing you. Can't you ask your friend to come up another time, think of all of us who love you! I'm baking muffins!
*tries to think of more ways to convince you to come*

SANDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyy xxxx

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
sandy, you're rubbish.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
ubbidea

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sandy you fookin let down!... even I'm going.

addict
498 posts

Posted:
What a living let down - silly sandy *shakes head*

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
ya know i've a good mind to cancel pip and get everyone to go down to sandy's and beat him with herring...!

but luckily, im not going to ;-P

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Herring? Surely a larger saltwater aquatic creature would be more fun? Such as some sort of cephalopod? Or possibly a tuna? Personally, i'd go for something silly, like a haddock?

Cos I heard Herring are only good for chopping the largest tree in the forest down with.

Note to self - buy a pint of Better English from Aldi next time.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
But don't forget the potential small fish like sardines have. Especially in large quantities...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i know, im sorry. If i can convince Tim to head up then i will but having already asked him i dont think it sounds likley. He is driving from Brighton to Bristol on Friday night so Bristol to Sheffield on Saturday wont be much fun for him.

Will see but have fun without me if not.

"Don't do it naked!"

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, PiP is so close now you can almost see the funky colours and smell the paraffin! :-)

Just a last minute announcement. we will have a stereo in the park for music throughout the day . Sadly we can't have a large sound system as the park is right next to a residential area, but none the less we will have music and I'd like people to bring some cd's or portable media down with them so we can have a nice eclectic mix of tunes going all day long.. :-)

Also, if anyone has any trouble getting to the park or needs to get in contact for whatever reason tomorrow please use the following number: 07732084463.

Happy travelling to you all and I'll see you in the park tomorrow.

Peace n Pineapples

Si

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm flaking, sorry frown
The train fair to go to this will make my bank balance go into double digits, and all thats left in there has to do until chritmas rolleyes ubblol

Have an ace time all hug

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Aimee frown frown frown

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'll be coming up with Karen! biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
bounce

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
PiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiP! wooooooooooooooooo
I'm wondering how many people I'm going to recognise, and how many are going to recognise me.
And to all those people to whome i'll have to admit i can't remember the name of, I apologise in advance.

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
aimee, how comes your not coming up? the train up to sheffield is only about 15 quid from london in advance.. and there's always megabus.. got a few lads coming up on that tonight for under 20 quid... you know you wanna come up.. encourage her people! ;-P

Jo, what time are you kids gonna be getting up here my lovely? i wanna chat to you about games and mothering.. lol

Larry, dont worry about not remembering names and faces and vice versa, this is PiP.. it's MANDATORY! lol

and on that note, please everyone be aware (if you know me already you know this), my memory for names is APPAULING! you will have to tell me many times and i apologise in advance if i know you from bouncing around places and get your name wrong.. it happens.. a lot! hehe. ;-P

...but i always remember hugs...... :-D

Page: