AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So over the weekend I had 2 re-enactment events to attend. It was a busy weekend but I managed on sunday to catch a fire Poi demo at the second event. The performers started out with practice poi and then moved into fire poi.

When the girl started I took a long hard look at her outfit. First, she wasnt in appropriate re-enactor garb but being she was playing with fire I could understand. However, what she was wearing I am sure is not something you want to wear for fire performing. She had a corset, which was fine because I am pretty sure it was made of cotton. *I got to see it up close after she was done* Her pants were another story, she wore spandex. I am pretty sure this is a no no fabric when it comes to fire performance since it would melt to the skin if something happened. She also had a skirt that hung different lengths at her knees. That once again I am sure is a no no for performing. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

As she is performing I saw the Poi passing dangerously close to her fabric. All I could think was this girl is going to light herself up. At one point the poi hit her square in the back.

Now no offense to this girl, she was really nice to talk to but I have seen videos on this site that look way more professional then what she did at the show. Her performance, even though it was a demo, was not smooth. The only plus I could give her was she covered up her hair and they she thankfully didnt catch herself on fire.

So here's my questions, how many of you perform on the ren faire circuit and what type of clothing do you wear? How long after you started swinging poi did it take you to perform? Has your performance ever been choppy or sloppy? Besides the obvious fire safty and having a spotter, what other advice could you give to someone considering fire performance?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I just realize I put this under the wrong forum, so if a mod could move this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out, thanks smile
EDITED_BY: Anuebunnie (1190221440)

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I wear form fitting but not constraining clothing heavy in cotton. The way I figure it, cotton won't melt to my flesh if it burns, unlike synthetic material.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
only use either 100% cotton or leather or naked.....have fun!!!1

any questions?

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yes Tina, I think there were 5 more questions to be answered biggrin smile

I meant for renfaire clothing, is there anything anyone specifically wears verses everyday clothing smile

422 posts

Posted:
Anuebunnie, the trick is to find clothing that is FIRE SAFE but looks good, and fits in with whoever you're working with's wardrobe as well (it would look off if YOUR a pirate, while your partners include a fairy, bellydancer, and a nobleman) as well as the setting of your performance (so, even though your crew may be matching one another, if you're all decked out in your best blacks and industrial wear, you're going to get some laughs).

Pele's snippet on the fire-safety HoP article on the notion to always burn in "natural" fibers is actually a really good starting point, since, if the clothing doesn't pass for safety wise.... why bother? Like, I love the look of stuff that hangs, drapes or otherwise dangles, but that's very not fire safe.

That, and, if you are specifically interested in working with ren fests, I would check with your festivals of interest before totally commiting to a new wardrobe. A few festivals out there are REALLY strange about their rules regarding cast and crew costumery. The fair I worked at liked to believe that gypsies didn't exist for some reason, so dressing like a gypsy for them would have been a big no-no.

.... uh..... yeah.... that give you a starting point?

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

The fair I worked at liked to believe that gypsies didn't exist for some reason, so dressing like a gypsy for them would have been a big no-no.

Though gypsies did exist, they were outlawed, and outcasts. A gypsy wouldn't be caught dead (or rather if caught, they were dead) hanging around anywhere local authorities might be.

That being said, My group uses a gypsy motif, and are either wearing leathers or cotton (very rarely wool too). One of the guys wears a leather vest with no shirt at all, where another wears a cotton shirt with no vest. The women do wear skirts, but their both loose enough to easily move, and heavy enough so they wont billow out unless needed to for performance aspects.

As for sloppy performance: everyone has them. Some can cover up their flubs better than others, but off days are natural, especially when dealing with an outdoor setting. There are a lot of factors which come into effect like wind (not only wind speed, but if it changes direction often) and rain.

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Kathain, yes that does give me a starting point. I highly doubt I will be preforming on the ren faire circuit ever, or performing at all but it gives me an idea on what to look for.

xjere Thanks for the insight on smooth performances. I was very curious on this since I am new and have a child like view on performances.

So for the skirts billowing out for performances, do you have a video of routines?

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
i know exactly what u mean.
i was a fire gig here in brasil and they were so unprofessional, i didnt know what they were thinking, spinning fire like dumbasses.
they kept a kerosene bucket inside the circle, spinning like theres no tomorrow, fiery kero spitting all over, people getting burned.
and it was so dumb, i actually had to go to the organizer of this particular act, to tell him the friggin bucket is too close to the spinners. now what did he do? kicked the kero bucket even closer. ai ai ai....
but what can we do man, it doesnt matter if you actually tell them not to do stupid stuff like that, they'll just do what they want.
they will continue to wear spandex, spin with excess fuel, spin fire after 2 months of actually spinning....
the best you can do is just warn the spectators.
that's my opinion

Love is Life

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: xjere

The fair I worked at liked to believe that gypsies didn't exist for some reason, so dressing like a gypsy for them would have been a big no-no.

Though gypsies did exist, they were outlawed, and outcasts. A gypsy wouldn't be caught dead (or rather if caught, they were dead) hanging around anywhere local authorities might be.

Lol. Sadly.... that's NOT the reason they don't allow gypsies. They said that, although gypsies existed during the time, this was a "family event" and that gypsies didn't fall under that (although pirates, public executions, and well-endowed kissing wenches almost falling out of their bodices do.)

But it was just an example of what sorts of rules you can be faced with when looking at different events. This particular event was really extreme. All cast (whether it be the lowly pickle man, a private booth worker, or a performer) had to wear head gear (hat, dainty floral garland, etc.) unless they were had a specific allowance to not wear it.... and that was RARELY given out if ever (even the guys who worked a swinging boat right who often knocked hats right off their head every few moments had at to wear them!). All bodices had to have a shirt or chemise under them, as well as all vests. There were no gypsies allowed, nor bellydancer style costumes, except for three special provisions (our actually bellydancers, a sort of shop that sold similar attire, and a henna booth). There was even a specific rule regarding the color of clothing in that cast were forbidden to wear clothing of all one color (they had an issue with one section of the staff wearing ONLY black, black, and more black as their garb).

.... see what I mean? It was red-iculous! nana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: Pinkadelic

they will continue to wear spandex, spin with excess fuel, spin fire after 2 months of actually spinning....

So I been spinning for 4 months now, can I spin fire? LOL no just kidding. I did order my fire Poi but I am going to practice for awhile with them before I light them up. Awhile = 4-6months. I have a lot of work to do and I have my goals set, if I dont acheive those goals in that time frame then I have to push it back.

I really do think when it comes to customes on the Ren Faire Circuit that you have to be safe first.

Kathain those rules are rediculous. Thankfully in my groups we are open to wears. Overall Safty comes first. During fighting events NO MALE FIGHTER can go out without their cup. Dont get me wrong my group does dumb things too, like the time Guppy sat in the wicker chair we were burning in the fire. Thankfully Guppy didnt get hurt and no one in my household would of done that but the rest of Markland has a few screws loose. hehe

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Depends on if you are doing full on reeneactment or not.

Some English events vet every costume. You usually then end up with a high level of historical accuracy and a better looking event if thats your aim.

If you have an event where its OK to where crushed velvet and spandex and they still call themselves reenactors it gets dodgy. Historical pagentry is perhaps a better term. wink

Fire and clothing, drives me crazy. Probably one of my biggest bugbears is spinners who dont think before lighting up in chiffon shirts and polyester jackets. Who wear their spunky 100 dollar muscle nylon shirts. Mmm...sticky tasty melted nylon.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Anuebunnie

Kathain those rules are rediculous. Thankfully in my groups we are open to wears. Overall Safty comes first. During fighting events NO MALE FIGHTER can go out without their cup. Dont get me wrong my group does dumb things too, like the time Guppy sat in the wicker chair we were burning in the fire. Thankfully Guppy didnt get hurt and no one in my household would of done that but the rest of Markland has a few screws loose. hehe

Lol. Yeah... see... I'm the one who always ends up being the "stick in the mud" and the "safety mum" of the group whoever I work with. Clothing. Hair. Spin area. Shoes. Wind conditions. Overall spinning of the night. I'm a little paranoid about the safety of people I work with... so I totally understand safety rules coming first. Seriously. I'm a little out there when it comes to fire work.

I just didn't understand the whole "no gypsies because we're a family event- but bloodslaughter, drunks, and baudy wenches is totally cool" rule.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Kathain_Bowen, Yeah i hear ya on the saftey stuff. i do exactly the same thing for my troup. But the bit that annoys me is that if i'd didn't do it no one would.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I don't have any videos for you. It's generally with things that are easily controlled though (fans for instance).

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:

Lol. Yeah... see... I'm the one who always ends up being the "stick in the mud" and the "safety mum" of the group whoever I work with. Clothing. Hair. Spin area. Shoes. Wind conditions. Overall spinning of the night. I'm a little paranoid about the safety of people I work with... so I totally understand safety rules coming first. Seriously. I'm a little out there when it comes to fire work.

I just didn't understand the whole "no gypsies because we're a family event- but bloodslaughter, drunks, and baudy wenches is totally cool" rule.

I rather see stick in the mud safty then me running around with fire burning my skin. I decided I am an over zealous noob. I actually didnt stick with what I said and since my fire poi came in I tried it. I did simple spins, nothing to crazy to see how it felt.

I am intimidated by the sound the fire makes.

After I was done I noticed I did a stupid thing. I was wearing a cotton t-shirt but forgot to tuck it in. redface

So after have a taste of fire, I became addicted even more. I am now practicing for 2 hours a day instead of one.

As far as gypsies go, I completely agree with you on your last statement. If you going to have busty wenches, etc. you should have gypsies.