Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > New To Poi? ASK ME ANYTHING!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...345
NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:*edit* Going on the idea that it would be good to have all of the beginner style questions in one very informative place.

If you have any questions about beginner poi moves and you don't know what to do, feel free to ask it here and some of us more experienced folks will give it our best shot!

The only thing that we're gonna ask is that:

1) You do a search first!

Click on the blue "Search" link about 2 inches below the pictures in the top of your screen and follow the directions. You'll see lots of old threads which we have spent LOTS of time answering your old questions in. [Easy Link to the Search page.]

2) Check out the Library!

There's some great videos in the library which also have links to appropriate forum discussions on that topic. The link for the library is just below the "Home of Poi" logo at the top left of your screen. [Secret Passage to the Library.]

3) ASK US!

If you've got a HoP account and have signed in, there should be a box at the bottom where you can type in your post and then hit "continue". Of course, look in the rest of this thread to see if it's been asked as well!

4) Be Patient!

Not just with us. We do have lives off the internet so there might be some down time but your question will get answered. But also be patient with learning poi. If you're not getting a move, try something different and go back to it. Or, just try to do the moves you already know in a more graceful or dancey way.

OK, ASK AWAY! biggrin

EDITED_BY: Pele (1192146559)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete Topic

hamamelis
hamamelis

nut.
Total posts: 756
Posted:What'ya mean trouble keeping alight?
Did they sort of catch fire, but then go out (sparking?) or just not burn for very long?
or not catch fire at all?

I don't think you can soak them too long- the first time I used fire poi, I wound up soaking them for 2 days, as it started raining just before I went to start, so I stuck them in the shed corner 'until the rain stopped' and forgot them..

Likewise soaking them not long enough seems unlikely- you can just pour a bit of fuel on, and they still burn.. People recommend soaking them a long time before first use as it's thought (not sure with how much justification) that this helps the kevlar take less damage.
I tend to recommend it anyway, just because it means people are more likely to think and plan ahead before their first spin, rather that just have a go after a few drinks 'cos it seemed like a good idea at the time..

The wicks weren't damp were they? That's a good way to make them hard to light, and sputter out fast.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Delete

Sarah_P
Total posts: 78
Posted:Just this last weekend I saw my first fire spinning at a renfaire in Ojai. A friend of mine spins but omg wow, it just looked SO GOOD. So I quickly learned the 3bt and butterfly from him, and am now at home learning from the HOP site's videos. smile

I've got a pair of (ugly, but soft) sock poi and some cathedral fire poi chains coming (no fire for a long while but I want to do it eventually so I figure I should get used to those too).

How long did it take you guys to get really good at this? I was told a martial arts background is good (which I don't have, woe) as is dancing (double woe). I think I'm doing pretty good since I've only been doing this a couple days (literally) but I have so very far to go that it's intimidating. I know the butterfly, alternating butterfly, 3bt, reverse 3bt, and am trying flowers now (making those things go straight is harder than it looks!).

Damn, I don't even know if there's a question in there! :P I guess, well, what course of action (aside from practice practice practice!) or sequence of learning things/moves/patterns do you think a n00b should go?

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:Emma - How long do they stay alight for? 2-3 minutes is about normal for small-ish poi, 8 mins for pretty hefty wicks.
If it's a matter of seconds, make sure the poi are properly burning before you start spinning them. Erm, other than that, unless they're wet, as Hammelis said, I can't think why they would't burn. Unless you've got some dud/poor quality paraffin.

Sarah - How long? All depends on what you call "really good";) It also depends on how much you practise, natural talent, perserverence and availabilty of good teachers. The wonderful thing about poi is you can never know it all, there's always stuff to learn.
Also, you can learn 2 moves and move well and look as good, if not better than learning loads of moves.
Aside from coordination, I don't think martial arts would really help. Likewise with dance, you'll have good coordination, stance and balance, but with regards to learning moves I don't think it's really a help smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Sarah_P
Posted:Well let's see, I first saw spinning poi on Saturday and got to learn the 3-bt Sunday night from a friend, then made my own poi on Tuesday when I got home. I'm now practicing the 5-bt weave (thanks to Nick/meenik's Youtube video) but am having problems with the crossovers - I've got the move but whenever I pull right (I'm left handed) I get really floppy and lose momentum. Should I add a little more weight to my sock poi or is there a trick you can suggest to keep the tension steady?

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Well, it depends how heavy your poi are to start with wink
Orange/juggling ball weight is a good average.
A good exercise is to see how slow you can just spin them at your side without them going slack.
It's possible the floppiness is coming more from a change of speed rather than spinning to slow or the poi being too light. Try and keep it smooth, work on each side at a time... If things keep going slack, try speeding things up a bit, at least till you can keep the tension there...
One bit of advice is to use your shoulder to push the crossover across rather than your wrists/arms, kinda hard to explain with text though smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

Sarah_P
Posted:Oh cool. I'd been focussing too much on keeping my hips out of the way that I hadn't thought about my shoulders. Using them has also helped the same tension problem I was having in the backwards 3bt. Thanks! biggrin

Delete

Sarah_P
Posted:Okay, here's a question about butterflies. I've been practicing mine since I first started but I've noticed that from my pov they aren't in sync - each poi goes more towards the respective hand's side on the outside of each circle. (does that make sense?) Many of the pictures and vids I've seen have experienced poi users doing near perfect circles with their butterflies so are my planes off or am I fine and my perspective just gives me that viewpoint?

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:They will be slightly off I think, no matter how good you are.

If you want to answer it for yourself, spin a 'fly in front of a mirror or a large pane of glass (sliding door type thing).

The other thing is that the poi can be kept moving with very little movement, so maybe work on that?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

chrissieb
Total posts: 11
Posted:Hello
Can anyone give me advice on the tuck turn? I've started going through the tutorial videos on here and I don't get it at all, I just keep hitting myself in the back of the head.

I searched on here, but the info was very technical. Can anyone explain simply what she is doing with her arms on the video? It's too fast for me to make sense of it.

cheers.... been spinning for a week and loving it smile

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:From what I do, it is a low turn, but with your arms right up in your armpits, so it looks higher.

So, as the poi start coming down as you spin them forwards next to you, move your hands to your armpits, but before the poi start to wrap, turn around and they will be swinging (to you) in reverse.

Helpful I hope. smile

Delete

chrissieb
Posted:cheers Aston, kind of makes sense! Have to go back to work now, but I'll try later. I was confused because in the video it looks like she is crossing her wrists or something.

Delete

Mucky
Mucky

Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
Total posts: 227
Posted:You can do a butterfly with your wrists crossed, or with your hands adjacent to each other, or over-under (switching up the over/under is the essence of TTN), if you like; whatever suits your style, and your overall routine, whichever you think looks better. But as long as the poi are the same length each hand is slightly offset from the other, which means that the circle made by the poi head, defined by the length between your hand and the head, will be equally offset, since that length will be the same for both poi. The further you move your hands from each other, the more spread the two circles become, until eventually you separate them entirely and crossed both arms over (the first poi move I ever learned)...

Try working on reverse butterflies; at least for me that amplified my errors in form, if you will, showing me what I really needed practice on.

EDITED_BY: Mucky (1211896560)

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted: Written by :chrissieb

Hello

Can anyone give me advice on the tuck turn? I've started going through the tutorial videos on here and I don't get it at all, I just keep hitting myself in the back of the head.

I searched on here, but the info was very technical. Can anyone explain simply what she is doing with her arms on the video? It's too fast for me to make sense of it.

cheers.... been spinning for a week and loving it smile

To break down the tuck turn...

Spinning forward, same time

Take 1 step back with your left foot (this is the way you're going to turn)

When the poi are furthest away from you and going down, bring your left hand together (ish, not touching, but close) with your right hand to tuck under your right armpit

As the poi spin round, wait for them to be at the top of the circle, then turning at the waist, as both poi swing down in front of you, turn your body left 180 degrees,

RH poi carries on swinging upwards to go into reverse spin

LH carries across in the same hand onto the LH side for reverse spin.

Then try that again but stepping back with the right foot, tucking under the left armbit and turning 180 degress right.

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Ah.... I always did something slightly different which was each arm under its own armpit.

Apologies.

Delete

chrissieb
Posted:thanks guys, can't wait to break out of work and try it again later!

Durbs, that's a nice step by step. But if I can't get it, maybe you can show me.... We are in the same county, after all!*

I find I can turn to the left ok (with high and low turn) but not to the right... wierd.

*joking, I'm not really a stalker smile

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Ah - so we are smile
Come along to the Happy Thursdays in Guildford (every Thursday un-surprisingly) - have a search through the events section here for details.
(I'm not there this week, but others will be smile )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

chrissieb
Posted:My left poi is still hitting me on the back of my head! I guess I need to snap them back by turning sooner.

Will keep trying, but now I have a headache..

Delete

Page: 1...345