Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > New To Poi? ASK ME ANYTHING!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*edit* Going on the idea that it would be good to have all of the beginner style questions in one very informative place.

If you have any questions about beginner poi moves and you don't know what to do, feel free to ask it here and some of us more experienced folks will give it our best shot!

The only thing that we're gonna ask is that:

1) You do a search first!

Click on the blue "Search" link about 2 inches below the pictures in the top of your screen and follow the directions. You'll see lots of old threads which we have spent LOTS of time answering your old questions in. [Old link]

2) Check out the Library!

There's some great videos in the library which also have links to appropriate forum discussions on that topic. The link for the library is just below the "Home of Poi" logo at the top left of your screen. [Secret Passage to the Library.]

3) ASK US!

If you've got a HoP account and have signed in, there should be a box at the bottom where you can type in your post and then hit "continue". Of course, look in the rest of this thread to see if it's been asked as well!

4) Be Patient!

Not just with us. We do have lives off the internet so there might be some down time but your question will get answered. But also be patient with learning poi. If you're not getting a move, try something different and go back to it. Or, just try to do the moves you already know in a more graceful or dancey way.

OK, ASK AWAY! biggrin

EDITED_BY: Pele (1192146559)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Lei scrive bene l'inglese. smile

Look at the way that you are holding your poi's handles. If you try to hold the handles between your thumb and first finger then you will be able to direct your poi more easily, but this might not suit you, you can hold your poi any way that you want to... but with this method you can physically control the plane's and directions thus increasing control.

CatsCradleBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
grazie, gentilissimo :*

ok I'll try that.. until now I've been using the loop making it go between my fingers... let's sayyy... wrapping my middle finger and my index, with the string coming out from between these two fingers..
but I just tried a couple times the way you said, it seems to work better, just got to get used to it..

thanks, but I'll be back :P

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Niente biggrin sono qua!

I originally learnt using double finger loops... but they just don't work quite right for leaning, experimenting with different grips will help tremendously with other grips.

Have fun.

flowritenewbie
1 post

Posted:
How can I make a fire hula hoop? I want to learn how to spin those! Thanks -Shannon

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: flowrite

How can I make a fire hula hoop? I want to learn how to spin those! Thanks -Shannon

you might be better posting this question in the "other toys" section... I don't know the first thing about hula.

hug

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
For Flowrite...

[Old link]

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

CatsCradleBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
yaaaaaaaaayyy! ok I've gained a lot more control holding them the way you said and.. I can do butterfly nowwww!!! of course.. for a little... then my tennisball-pois bump into each other and eventually hit me in the eye, but hey! at least I'm starting to figure things out!!

Anyway, I was thinking.. as a beginner.. should I just buy them? instead of making them on my own?? I really like the rainbow ones and they seem a lot smaller than mine, plus you can take the tales off...

how long does it take for them to get to italy? (I know I shouldn't be asking this in this section, but I just went with the flow.. XD)

and.. umm... so yeah, this is my next question. as a beginner, am I better off getting "the real ones"?

lovin it smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I bought my first set, but there is nothing wrong with making your own. Especially with all the online resources nowadays.

Nicely done, keep trying it and it will come to you.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Many sets are so great, and its always good to support your online sites..like Home of Poi. wink But I have to admit, I have enjoyed the poi I made much more. You feel attuned to it somehow.

I would really recommend getting sock poi to start with. They tangle much less than the string or tailed variety, making learning so much easier and more productive.

What may I ask are the real ones? If you mean leaves twined into rope with rocks or eggs in the end, I would hesitate to start with them. Could be disastrous.

If you mean fire, I suppose that would depend on if fire is your goal. Chains definitely fly differently than other poi styles and you do want to be accustomed to the tool before lighting it up. But if you are just learning, be sure to protect the kevlar heads with some kind of covering, so you wont ruin them before you are ready.

If your goal is to learn every single tech trick out there, I would lean more towards socks, either stretchy or non, just because of the learning curve.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

CatsCradleBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
first of all, I tried the sock pois.. (I just put my pois into a pair of old socks :P).. and I see what you mean, I can "follow" my moves better and they respond differently..

second of all... don't make fun of me and my english!!! XP

I'm gonna buy the rainbow ones anyway cuz I fell in love, so it's 2 late for me to change my mind smile

and last but not least... I'm REALLY learning the 3bw!!!! I'm improving really really fast! and, to be honest, it's also thanks to a video I found on youtube

I hope this doesn't brake any forum rule.. it shouldn't be considered as spam though..

anywhooo, I'll keep up the good work and the bruises.

I'll be back XD

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
 Written by: CatsCradle

second of all... don't make fun of me and my english!!! XP

I'm gonna buy the rainbow ones anyway cuz I fell in love, so it's 2 late for me to change my mind smile

not at all. I wouldn't tease someone who knows multiple languages. I only tease those who speak 1 language. biggrin (just kidding on that too)

Go for it. Buy the rainbow and love them. There is no such thing as having too many sets of tools. I have 2 staffs, 1 fire poi, 3 socks, 1 non-stretchy pair I made, a set of flags, and some flower stix. And that's on the low end of the collection, from what I have seen others post.

Rellizate:
That's a good question. I can't access Salza from where I am right now, but I will have to check into that when Im at home. Im quite curious.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
e-mail and ask?

Although, if they are on chains it should be possible to make them whatever length you wish....

CatsCradleBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
ok... got a nother problem... (pois are becoming an addiction..but that's not my problem ^^)..

the "chasing the sun" trick is kinda.. painful! I can't get them to spin in thre right way behind my shoulders.. they eventually bump into my head/shoulders/forsomereasonface/ears and so on.. is there something I'm doing wrong, or a tip you can give me, or is it just a matter of practice and I'll (eventually) get it right..?

Am I asking to many questions? XD

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
It is practice, but really throw the poi behind you. You have to fully commit to the move and over extend more than you might think. Try this trick: try to get your thumbs to brush right past the tops of your ears as the poi are swinging by.

Rellizate: Contact Thomas Johansson, aka: like my poi, my heart is on fire. He uses them.

OldLadyWinchesterSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
can u explain the 360 butterfly to me,or point me to a video that does a good job of explaining,i cant get it right.

a true traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving -Lao Tzu

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
Ummm im new to poi and have just made my own with socks and tennis balls, and watched the wonderful videos in the library section of this site (thx HoP GODs) and i have discovered i have one stooopid arm and one good arm...javascript:void(0)
help has any one had this problem that one arm does not seem to follow direction well?javascript:void(0)
mad2 its mostly while i am doing backward split time. Should i just cut off the offending appendage, or is there some help out there?
Thx
Genie

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Unless you're ambidextrous, this is the case for most people. You'll find spinning one way much easier than the other, and you're strong arm will naturally want to lead.

The only way round this is practise everything backwards. It's a pain (sometimes literally) but it will massively improve your spinning, especially as being able to do tricks forwards and backwards often enables you to turn them too, which leads to funky transitions and good flow.....

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sambo_Flux

The only way round this is practise everything backwards. It's a pain (sometimes literally) but it will massively improve your spinning, especially as being able to do tricks forwards and backwards often enables you to turn them too, which leads to funky transitions and good flow.....

OK ill keep tryin, but im not giving up on the armectomy...
thanks for the help
rolleyes
Genie

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
I tell you the thing that seemed to help me most with my "stupid arm" is to drill with just it. I drilled planes with my left hand forever it seems until i felt i could control it mostly as well as my right. There are a LOT of subtleties to poi control that often your strong hand will do automatically.

just keep practicing, when spinning with both arms concentrate on the stupid one and let your strong arm do what it needs without thinking.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
thanks Imbalance, many years ago i took tap dance and i had a stupid foot also... but so did everyone in class, so i wasnt alone. Because its only me and my daughter doing poi and she is a teenager and is picking it up much faster, it made me feel broken... lol thanks again
Genie

Emma_WilliamsSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
hey,

me n a friend have just started using fire poi, but we're having trouble keeping the wicks alight. we soaked them for quite a few hours as they were new. did we soak them for too long or not enough. could you give us some tips on fuelling in general please. we are using parrafin as home of poi suggests.

cheers
em

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
What'ya mean trouble keeping alight?
Did they sort of catch fire, but then go out (sparking?) or just not burn for very long?
or not catch fire at all?

I don't think you can soak them too long- the first time I used fire poi, I wound up soaking them for 2 days, as it started raining just before I went to start, so I stuck them in the shed corner 'until the rain stopped' and forgot them..

Likewise soaking them not long enough seems unlikely- you can just pour a bit of fuel on, and they still burn.. People recommend soaking them a long time before first use as it's thought (not sure with how much justification) that this helps the kevlar take less damage.
I tend to recommend it anyway, just because it means people are more likely to think and plan ahead before their first spin, rather that just have a go after a few drinks 'cos it seemed like a good idea at the time..

The wicks weren't damp were they? That's a good way to make them hard to light, and sputter out fast.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Just this last weekend I saw my first fire spinning at a renfaire in Ojai. A friend of mine spins but omg wow, it just looked SO GOOD. So I quickly learned the 3bt and butterfly from him, and am now at home learning from the HOP site's videos. smile

I've got a pair of (ugly, but soft) sock poi and some cathedral fire poi chains coming (no fire for a long while but I want to do it eventually so I figure I should get used to those too).

How long did it take you guys to get really good at this? I was told a martial arts background is good (which I don't have, woe) as is dancing (double woe). I think I'm doing pretty good since I've only been doing this a couple days (literally) but I have so very far to go that it's intimidating. I know the butterfly, alternating butterfly, 3bt, reverse 3bt, and am trying flowers now (making those things go straight is harder than it looks!).

Damn, I don't even know if there's a question in there! :P I guess, well, what course of action (aside from practice practice practice!) or sequence of learning things/moves/patterns do you think a n00b should go?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Emma - How long do they stay alight for? 2-3 minutes is about normal for small-ish poi, 8 mins for pretty hefty wicks.
If it's a matter of seconds, make sure the poi are properly burning before you start spinning them. Erm, other than that, unless they're wet, as Hammelis said, I can't think why they would't burn. Unless you've got some dud/poor quality paraffin.

Sarah - How long? All depends on what you call "really good";) It also depends on how much you practise, natural talent, perserverence and availabilty of good teachers. The wonderful thing about poi is you can never know it all, there's always stuff to learn.
Also, you can learn 2 moves and move well and look as good, if not better than learning loads of moves.
Aside from coordination, I don't think martial arts would really help. Likewise with dance, you'll have good coordination, stance and balance, but with regards to learning moves I don't think it's really a help smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Well let's see, I first saw spinning poi on Saturday and got to learn the 3-bt Sunday night from a friend, then made my own poi on Tuesday when I got home. I'm now practicing the 5-bt weave (thanks to Nick/meenik's Youtube video) but am having problems with the crossovers - I've got the move but whenever I pull right (I'm left handed) I get really floppy and lose momentum. Should I add a little more weight to my sock poi or is there a trick you can suggest to keep the tension steady?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, it depends how heavy your poi are to start with wink
Orange/juggling ball weight is a good average.
A good exercise is to see how slow you can just spin them at your side without them going slack.
It's possible the floppiness is coming more from a change of speed rather than spinning to slow or the poi being too light. Try and keep it smooth, work on each side at a time... If things keep going slack, try speeding things up a bit, at least till you can keep the tension there...
One bit of advice is to use your shoulder to push the crossover across rather than your wrists/arms, kinda hard to explain with text though smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Oh cool. I'd been focussing too much on keeping my hips out of the way that I hadn't thought about my shoulders. Using them has also helped the same tension problem I was having in the backwards 3bt. Thanks! biggrin

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's a question about butterflies. I've been practicing mine since I first started but I've noticed that from my pov they aren't in sync - each poi goes more towards the respective hand's side on the outside of each circle. (does that make sense?) Many of the pictures and vids I've seen have experienced poi users doing near perfect circles with their butterflies so are my planes off or am I fine and my perspective just gives me that viewpoint?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
They will be slightly off I think, no matter how good you are.

If you want to answer it for yourself, spin a 'fly in front of a mirror or a large pane of glass (sliding door type thing).

The other thing is that the poi can be kept moving with very little movement, so maybe work on that?

chrissiebnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Hello
Can anyone give me advice on the tuck turn? I've started going through the tutorial videos on here and I don't get it at all, I just keep hitting myself in the back of the head.

I searched on here, but the info was very technical. Can anyone explain simply what she is doing with her arms on the video? It's too fast for me to make sense of it.

cheers.... been spinning for a week and loving it smile

Page: