Page:
Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Please forgive me but this is a bit of a rant. But everytime I hear any of these used for a performance I go crazy. Literally. I start chewing on chairs and strangling my imaginary friends. I don't know how much these go for fireperformances but I've heard them being used in circus and dance and juggling.

1. Gotan Project (especially the first album)
2. Amelie Soundtrack
3. Moulin Rouge (especially "Roxanne")

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

These are all old examples but they're still used! Why oh why?!?!

Honestly I can't stand Gotan Project at all anymore just because it's so over-used in performing arts (plus I think it's too cheap a version of real tangos and I hate cheap music).

And the Amelie soundtrack. YEs it is good but enough with the french romantics! It was overplayed 5 years ago! You were the 395323rd to use these songs for your show! And everytime I hear it I just think about how much better the film was than this show!

My hate for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack is nowhere close to my hate for the top2. But still.... don't use it.

The lesson is... The music is an essential part of a show so put more time into finding a good and original song. Atleast if I'm in the audience.

You may approach this matter with more positivity. What is your top3...?

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Great...

1. Firestarter. The Prodigy. Dear god.

2. Any song with obvious references to starting fires.. Or any uber-cheese fire/heat references. ie: 'Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me'. No. Not really. *cringe*

(there are exceptions... Fat Freddy's Drop have some great reggae/funk tracks with 'Fire' in them)

3. Pystrance. All of it.

hug

Getting to the other side smile

addict
446 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Ooooh... Good ones! I agree with all of these. Suprisingly firestarter works for the crowd though. I don't know if you know a sorta similar classic tune "Sandstorm" by Darude...

I saw this amazing swedish young unicyclist perform at a circus festival to this song and he rocked it! It was soooo fckn good. It's like it is made for uber uber technical skill performances... He was just making crazier and crazier tricks one after the other and when he nailed the last trick on a 3rd try, and the soundman cranked up the volume to 20, the whole audience went crazy. In a good way. It was amazing. But still... don't use it.

Point your toes.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Oh and I'm willing to tolerate some psytrance in a show but NOT if it has any vocal samples... ARRGH!!

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Firestarter should never inspire an audience!!

:whimper:

And while we're mildly offtrack...

We had to do a show to this once... It was funny, but never again ubbcrying biggrin

Balls... can't get it embedded... but it was Carnival de Paris by Dario G. Look it up on YouTube... and cry.

For ages I wanted to do a show to the Wagner piece used in Apocalypse Now... but judging by the reaction I got, that was obviously overdone and uber-cheesy too biggrin
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1189788913)

addict
446 posts

Posted:
I think we can have "bad performance experiences due to terrible music" as the sub-topic for this thread......! ubblol

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
With a sub-sub-head... 'Dancing outside nightclubs in the middle of the countryside'
(Dundalk is a favourite for us)

Music with it's own brand of awfulness smile

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i cant stand performing to psytrance as well.
dance music also sucks.

my top3 bad music would be:
1) scooter - fire
2) anything by infected mushroom
3) pop/dance stuff. total [censored].

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Antti

. I don't know if you know a sorta similar classic tune "Sandstorm" by Darude...

Im guilty of that one ubblol

Psytrance pisses me off in general. Performances also, but mainly on HOP videos frown

Written by: Clare

Any song with obvious references to starting fires..

I need to send you a track. I think you might like it smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Damn, there goes my lifelong ambition to use 'Hindi Sad Diamonds'... wink

I think 'firestarter' should only ever be used ironically, like that french juggler who's juggles with a radio in the background and adapts to the changing music. But that's hardly gonna be original is it? wink

On a side note I'm watching the National Geographic Channel a show about storms and suddenly there was an extended sequence of maoris doing fire poi and staff intercutting with footage of a stealth bomber! (I think...)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Another sub-topic! "TOP3 songs that you weren't sure if they'd be any good but when you got on stage and performed to the song it rocked! But you probably wouldn't do it again..."

1. Apocalyptica "Life burns". A fire reference? ubblol OMG this song was so good for our Eurovision performance even though the other songs were better.

2. Jean Sibelius... can't remember the song... Classical music from Finland. Felt really patriotic and holy. The Amazing RHD performed to this ubblol. And it rocked.

3. "Thunder Ball"... the James Bond theme... Me doing firecontact with a live band and a singer on a big stage with presidents and such in the audience. It rocked.

Point your toes.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Antii, how do you find, shall we say 'mournful' music goes down when performing to them.

When practicing I tend to relax more when spinning to post-rock stuff like, Godspeed! Your Black Emperor, the them from '28 Days Later' and (but not including) Sigur Ros (prefer to just listen to them). Despite not being an original song in itself, I like Apocalyptica's version of 'Unforgiven', but I'm not sure if it'd be suitable for a performance.

Suppose it depends on the context of the piece you're doing and the audience you're performing to.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
unfortuantly i disagree with the whole firestarter thing mostly because i like that type of music alot ie prodigy and pendulum although i agree "Roxanne" should never be used

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

addict
446 posts

Posted:
First of all... It's Antti with two t's gddmnit! wink

Second... I love mournful music. I love mournful performances. Go for it. I did one about my fathers death and I will never top that one.

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice smile

Don't think I could do that yet...

Jon... looking forward to it... bring it to Brissle - I hope you're both coming!!

Antti... Yep... we did The James Bond Theme by Moby for one of the first ever gigs we did...

Horrendously cheesy, but was actually lots of fun when on stage (or on a roof, as it was).

And despite being a nightmare to rehearse to, that Dario G track was hilarious during the gig... it made me laugh, anyways.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've done "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer in a nightclub on stage with aerotechs... Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, they played Britney.

Oh the shame.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

addict
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

:'Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me'. No. Not really. *cringe*

I'd love to see this one actually. Maybe I'm willing to forgive female performers more... ubblove ubblol

Point your toes.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
I love to perform with "Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah" ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=PdbDNL5oqCs )as music theme.
You must admit Antti that you LOVE this song biggrin

No seriosly, I vote for music that you make yourself and building it up together with your choreography.

If I perform with other music then it is mosty electronic chillout music, as for example:

Sonic Adventure Project - Forty-Two
Levitation - Out Of Time
Brightlight - Feeling Weird
Sonic Adventure Project - Waters In Motion

But everything depends on what kind of audince you have, if it is seniors in the age of 90+ I woldn`t play to trance, if I play on a trancefestival I wouldn`t play to Bach and so on.
It`s really hard to tell when good music are bad for performance and bad music are good for performance.

Even though you (Antti) hate the Amelie music and would never perform to it (me neither) but if you have a performance when Amelie herself has her 50th birthday then maybe it would be great to perform to ( I doubt cos I take for granteed that she`s kinda of tired of that music biggrin ) but you got my point?

Peace out fellow circleloving friends!

P.S I performed to Levas Polka (some weird Finnish song (Finnish people are more then weird wink , I guess everyone seen this one? https://youtube.com/watch?v=WNDh_tFIHn4 )once

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: lmpmhiof

I vote for music that you make yourself and building it up together with your choreography.

Yeah dude, totally agree with you. Thats the number one music NOT to use in a performance! wink

(This is turning into a what music should I use for my performance thread isnt it?)

3 Tunes Id NOT use:
Psytrance
Anything I have written (I cant write music)
Mighty Morphin Power rangers theme tune.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Antti_Everything

Written by: _Clare_

:'Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me'. No. Not really. *cringe*

I'd love to see this one actually. Maybe I'm willing to forgive female performers more... ubblove ubblol

spank spank spank

It's kindof hard to dance when you're melting through the floor with embarrassment... instant way to lose half your audience tongue

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
as i found out watching brenns fan/cheese video from 2uberoz.. never perform to 'hotstepper'

smile hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

addict
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Written by: lmpmhiof

I vote for music that you make yourself and building it up together with your choreography.

Yeah dude, totally agree with you. Thats the number one music NOT to use in a performance! wink

(This is turning into a what music should I use for my performance thread isnt it?)

We've reached the limit of sub-topics... Lame stories about "good" music are not welcome.

I've been trying to find what was the terrible techno-tune FlameOz used... I think they're a prime example of getting away with many bad choises in music. The audience loved everything. It's just bastards like me who go crazy...

Point your toes.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ohhhhhh.... remembered one more

The Belleville Tripletts or whatever it is called..... damn... please... no.. don't use it!

Point your toes.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Also the Astor Piazzolla classics are over used. Fortunately he made hundreds of songs of amazing music to choose from.

Point your toes.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Thats because you are a [censored] you [censored], less agressions and more looove smile

But I like you crazy

And now i`m going offtopic again, sorry for that! smile

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
mmmm what about that matrix soundtrack song...i have seen many a spin to that one

if i could be a busy busy bee...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
redface I was thinking of using the one above. But nevermind.

How about, Christina Agularia, genie in a bottle. biggrin

DRUMS! Argh! it used to be quite cool, but now I've just heard them so much that it annoys me.

And I agree with the amelie soundtrack, its been far too overdone, and lets face it, few people can top a certain dervishly yers clip!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
oooo, and michael Jackson 'Beat it' seems to be in every other hooping video I see on youtube...

for some very bizarre random reason.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

addict
446 posts

Posted:
The Matrix soundtrack song is another one for sure. Seems like most of these songs on the NOT to be used list are from soundtracks. Kill Bill themes come to mind also...

Point your toes.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
On the matrix one, do you mean "Rob D - Clubbed to death"? I quite like that song.

Written by: prickleyleaf

DRUMS! Argh! it used to be quite cool, but now I've just heard them so much that it annoys me.

I f*cking hate spinning to drums. I hate hate hate hate it. Most people cant keep a beat, and I think it sounds censored anyway even if they can keep the beat. Im really sick of this whole "firespinning and drum cicle" censored thats goes on. Ive actually been encouraged to come to a free spinning doo-dah by someone saying "Im sure we can get a few drums down there". Its usually then that I say "well in that case....... im definitely not going!" - Their face is usually a very funny picture - a mixure to confusion, amazement and shock. ubblol

Its like the way most people assume fire spinners all love psytrance and play nothing but it at spinning meets. angry

I'd love to be proved wrong on the drum front by Durbs or JTJ though. Im sure those two could make me boogie.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I take it Holly and UCOF won't be at anymore Falmouth beach-spinnings then tongue Personally I've not been overexposed to drumming circles enough to be sick of them yet. There some excellent drummers in Preston who provide the music for the Full Moon Fire Gatherings.

There's nothing I WON'T spin to, except stuff I'VE overplayed to death for myself. Stuff I used to have on continous-looped playlist because I first thought it'd be good. But I tend to revisit them went spinning with other toys.

The Kill Bill theme. Definitely overplayed but the album by Tomoyatsu Hotei is excellent for spinning to (that is until he starts with the 80's-style guitar wank. So on-topic I'll include those! biggrin)

Antti - sorry about mispelling your name - it was a typo and I don't tend to proof read! But thanks for the tips about mournful music. Especially relating the performance dedicated to your father hug

I tend not to discount any genre as there are good and bad in every type of music but more individual songs.

Film soundtracks, especially very popular ones, already have contexts and contotations attached to them that using them in a performance tend to border on pretentious. ESPECIALLY since the aforemention films seem to be of the martial arts genre. (You haven't seen 'Amelie: Extreme Edition have you? tongue)

Page: