Page:
Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Please forgive me but this is a bit of a rant. But everytime I hear any of these used for a performance I go crazy. Literally. I start chewing on chairs and strangling my imaginary friends. I don't know how much these go for fireperformances but I've heard them being used in circus and dance and juggling.

1. Gotan Project (especially the first album)
2. Amelie Soundtrack
3. Moulin Rouge (especially "Roxanne")

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

These are all old examples but they're still used! Why oh why?!?!

Honestly I can't stand Gotan Project at all anymore just because it's so over-used in performing arts (plus I think it's too cheap a version of real tangos and I hate cheap music).

And the Amelie soundtrack. YEs it is good but enough with the french romantics! It was overplayed 5 years ago! You were the 395323rd to use these songs for your show! And everytime I hear it I just think about how much better the film was than this show!

My hate for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack is nowhere close to my hate for the top2. But still.... don't use it.

The lesson is... The music is an essential part of a show so put more time into finding a good and original song. Atleast if I'm in the audience.

You may approach this matter with more positivity. What is your top3...?

Point your toes.

poinoobSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
i think its up to personal taste i like to spin to what ever just to see what i can do with the song. hell i spun to my mexican neighbors music with the acorddian. but if i have my choice now a days i spin to carlos santana or some type of electronic music

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

I f*cking hate spinning to drums. I hate hate hate hate it. Most people cant keep a beat, and I think it sounds censored anyway even if they can keep the beat. Im really sick of this whole "firespinning and drum cicle" censored thats goes on. Ive actually been encouraged to come to a free spinning doo-dah by someone saying "Im sure we can get a few drums down there". Its usually then that I say "well in that case....... im definitely not going!" - Their face is usually a very funny picture - a mixure to confusion, amazement and shock. ubblol

Its like the way most people assume fire spinners all love psytrance and play nothing but it at spinning meets.

oh hear hear clap

biggest turn off for me going to anything is the music that's played. Can't stand psytrance or drumming circles - even good ones...gives me a headache after not very long

so, to answer Antti's question:
1. psytrance
2. drums
3. firestarter - prodigy...

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Lady Marmalade. A bit obvious but since it's been popping up lately I had to mention it.

Point your toes.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Top 3 musics not to use for performance:

1) Anything I want to use.

2) Something I now REALLY want to use having just heard it while watching your performance.

3) Anything I don't like.

4) Something I don't like and is over used.

5) Something I like, but which is over used.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
lol. Umm...*counts again* yep, nevermind. That's 3. wink

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Firestarter is banned by our troupe... other than that anything goes!

Although thinking about it there is a video somewhere of me spinning to the Bee Gees! I loose it half way through the routine and just stop and look towards the DJ... I just couldn't get back into the flow after that.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Was asked at one show what music i wanted, to which i cleverly replied 'o, anything will do as long as it's got a rythym' biggrin- Silly bugger puts on Kylie Minogue and turns the volume up eek These days i ALWAYS take my own music. Fluke by Zion's probably my favorite juggle

Got a brand new gallery

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... I put my mp3 player on shuffle when I am practicing.

If something works, it works. But I usually do not do real shows, just impromptu things at home.

I have spun to drums as well. The drum circle at Rhodes is not bad but I prefer to spin to my own tune that is running through my head.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
CdS music too... if i hear 'akkegria' one more time....

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Didn't I put Cirque du Soleil on the list before? You're so right. Never ever ever use their music. Even their show Delirium is too much when CdS recycles their own music. Argh. Quess what the last song was? Happy uptempo let's all join hands and believe in the goodness of mankind version of Alegria. Aaargh.

They do have good music but again it's used and used again. And even though most of the common folk wouldn't know it I know it. And that's all that matters right? Right.
EDITED_BY: Antti_Everything (1197886847)

Point your toes.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
We once surprised Nick Woolsey at a fundraiser by putting on " I'm too sexy"( for my shirt) on for his music... He was , er kinda trapped, all set to go... lol the look on his face was priceless...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
hee hee hee heee ubblol

if i could be a busy busy bee...

SladinjiSILVER Member
46 posts

Posted:
hehehe just had a good laugh reading the whole thread.:D

1. Anything from Hilight Tribe. Seriously, please, no. Either on videos or shows, I can't take it anymore... ubbloco
2. Cheesy movie soundtracks suck as Rocky (yes, i've seen it happen, it's not a pretty sight...) or Kill Bill, or other already spoken of in the thread.
3. (i'm leaving this space for later).

Antti if you hate Gotan Project then you should *definatly* check out my new video ! ubblol

- Maelle -

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
1. Backstreets back
2&3. ~tbc

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by :BurdaA

Backstreets back

I dunno I saw Monsieur Om perform his contact ball balancing act to this whilst flanked by dancing girls

ubblol

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I dunno I saw Monsieur Om perform his contact ball balancing act to this whilst flanked by dancing girls

ubblol

Seconded ubblol

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Antti you ass! They weren't bad choices... they were all specifically picked to be as accessible as possible; to make our show commercially viable! I think the word you were looking for was mainstream pop. Us choosing music like this makes our show more accessible to audiences, thus raising the level of knowledge and appreciation for the fire arts.... thus allowing you do perform your arty tech wank ( wink ) and get away with it... without our "bad choises" you wouldn't have such a platform to be so un-mainstreamly and technically brilliant.

As a footnote: we all hated Children and wanted to find a replacement but it proved very hard.... and the beginning is really quite beautiful. :P

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
would not reccomend trying to perform (fire spinning... wink )to two little boys by rolf harris... beerchug

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Unless you are striving for the epitome of cheese, "DOFF" by Spoonbill is not for you ubblol

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
2. Earth Song by MJ.. never have facial expressions played such a large part in spinning

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Oooh Knox you sweet thing!

"raising the level of knowledge and appreciation for the fire arts.... " eh? With songs like Children...? whahahah... I didn't know we need to be that desperate for this cause. Seriously I can appreciate entertainment and money making... but this thread is for bitching and not rationalizing. And to be honest I'd love to perform to Rihanna's "Don't stop the music". But maybe once would be enough.

And I don't remember if anybody mentioned this one before.... TIGER LILLIES. Don't use them. Their music is a good second right after Amelie in cheap circusy shows. I just saw another group with an act built entirely on their music... argh.

Point your toes.

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
lol... fair play. I'll be more in context next time wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
1362 pipe and harp medly..

Did a gig for a christmas party at thorpe park. couldn't find the DJ before going on, he'd done about 10 of these parties before mine and he played something from king bloody arthurs court. I expected to see jesters capering I was so thrown I had to pretend there was NO music or my brain would have melted.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
1) manu chao - anything of clandestino

2) emporers new clothes - cos that megan woman got there first

3) choppy electronic music without rehearsal

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Holy CRAP! Just witnessed a fireshow by someone here in Thailand (if you read this dont be pissed, youre spinning where great but the music should be illegal to perform to) and he played to Terminator 2 soundtrack as a warmup and then popcorn. Sounds good? It gets better cos in the finale he played to nothing else but our favorite spin song Billy Jean with MJ smile

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
1. Backstreets back
2&3. ~tbc

Yeah - he wasnt surprised at this track!!! He was loving it!!!:)
One day i'll get that Vid up here on HOP - classic Woolsey! wink

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
That quote was from the last page of this thread - so it maybe doesnt have much context right now, but it makes me LOL to remember dancing to that with Nick, Tom and Mike - classic moments

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, the Backfire Boys~ I remember it well AND I have a copy of it here on my pooter.
Think I'll go watch it for brekkie!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
What about Rick Astley's - "Never Gonna Give You Up"?

ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Last new year's eve I went out to do my angle grind set only to have the dj go off on a section including Europe's "the final countdown" and Brooooce's "born in the USA". That was very wrong.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Page: