Page:
Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Please forgive me but this is a bit of a rant. But everytime I hear any of these used for a performance I go crazy. Literally. I start chewing on chairs and strangling my imaginary friends. I don't know how much these go for fireperformances but I've heard them being used in circus and dance and juggling.

1. Gotan Project (especially the first album)
2. Amelie Soundtrack
3. Moulin Rouge (especially "Roxanne")

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

These are all old examples but they're still used! Why oh why?!?!

Honestly I can't stand Gotan Project at all anymore just because it's so over-used in performing arts (plus I think it's too cheap a version of real tangos and I hate cheap music).

And the Amelie soundtrack. YEs it is good but enough with the french romantics! It was overplayed 5 years ago! You were the 395323rd to use these songs for your show! And everytime I hear it I just think about how much better the film was than this show!

My hate for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack is nowhere close to my hate for the top2. But still.... don't use it.

The lesson is... The music is an essential part of a show so put more time into finding a good and original song. Atleast if I'm in the audience.

You may approach this matter with more positivity. What is your top3...?

Point your toes.

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
cheesy ninties cheese... its terrible, its over, please move on

oh and anything by madonna

pyromania pixie power!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
the a team... o wait.. i am performing to that

.[censored]................

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

marcbsBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
I think that the bohemian Rahpsody, Tyko drumming or the Comena berana (spelling) could all be fun. in their own way.

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
German techno.

for the super trooper fans out there.

LEAK SPIN

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
As a pianist I'm a massive fan of Yann Tiersen (who did the Amelie soundtrack) but would NEVER use it as a show - and it's many MANY times worse in the world of aerial circus.

For me the worst music is generally anything repetative, or anything where the performer is just ignoring the interesting bits of it, even if they're keeping to the beat. Of course this is sometimes unavoidable if you don't know the music but even then, e.g. with good hand drumming you can have some awesome jams if both parties are using each other properly, so to speak...

Still can't get the image of Dunc prancing about with his poi to Madonna on the bridge at SGP. People are disputing the track, I know Like A Prayer was playing at some point but in my head this particular one was DEFINATELY Like A Virgin.

It was awesome.

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Definite Don'ts:
Tiesto - ANYTHING
Metalica
Apocalyptica (I'm kind of tired of hearing it for its instant "ooh heavy cello is epicy" kitsch)

Do's:
Brian Eno
The Seatbelts - Doggy Dog (personal fav for fast paced stuff)
Blue Man Group - Exhibit 13...or any bmg for that matter, very rhythmic and mellow.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Zazie

For me the worst music is generally anything repetative, or anything where the performer is just ignoring the interesting bits of it, even if they're keeping to the beat. Of course this is sometimes unavoidable if you don't know the music but even then, e.g. with good hand drumming you can have some awesome jams if both parties are using each other properly, so to speak...

In that hand drumming scenario, i would pack 2 grins and some eye contact with the twirling kit. smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: