Page:
Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Please forgive me but this is a bit of a rant. But everytime I hear any of these used for a performance I go crazy. Literally. I start chewing on chairs and strangling my imaginary friends. I don't know how much these go for fireperformances but I've heard them being used in circus and dance and juggling.

1. Gotan Project (especially the first album)
2. Amelie Soundtrack
3. Moulin Rouge (especially "Roxanne")

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

These are all old examples but they're still used! Why oh why?!?!

Honestly I can't stand Gotan Project at all anymore just because it's so over-used in performing arts (plus I think it's too cheap a version of real tangos and I hate cheap music).

And the Amelie soundtrack. YEs it is good but enough with the french romantics! It was overplayed 5 years ago! You were the 395323rd to use these songs for your show! And everytime I hear it I just think about how much better the film was than this show!

My hate for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack is nowhere close to my hate for the top2. But still.... don't use it.

The lesson is... The music is an essential part of a show so put more time into finding a good and original song. Atleast if I'm in the audience.

You may approach this matter with more positivity. What is your top3...?

Point your toes.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon Shaolin

I take it Holly and UCOF won't be at anymore Falmouth beach-spinnings then

Nope. tongue

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I f*cking hate spinning to drums. I hate hate hate hate it. Most people cant keep a beat, and I think it sounds anyway even if they can keep the beat. Im really sick of this whole "firespinning and drum cicle" thats goes on. Ive actually been encouraged to come to a free spinning doo-dah by someone saying "Im sure we can get a few drums down there". Its usually then that I say "well in that case....... im definitely not going!" - Their face is usually a very funny picture - a mixure to confusion, amazement and shock.

hug smile

hell yeah...

one thing that i've always found a bit odd is that professional performers - including those who say they have have a problem with people downloading mp3s - use licensed music for paid gigs.

using other peoples art for personal profit really isn't cool.

parties, friends houses etc fine... but in the context of paid work it really sucks. either get some music written for you or find something license free.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
FIRESTARTER dear god please not again !!!!
That horrid Justin Timberlake Song with the fire dancing.
The Ring Of Fire just because the tempo is all wrong for spinning music.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
...unless you pay PRS, therefore giving the artists there dues smile

UCOF - Cool, i like a challenge biggrin

But yes, drum circles don't do it for me either, and hell, I'm a drummer (or perhaps this is why). I don't really like drumming in drum circles mind you either...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
WORD ANTTI!

Gotan and Amilie are grossly overplayed.

If we're going SOLELY on overplayedness can I add DJ Shadow and Lemon Jelly?

I love them dearly but I sometimes wonder if UK CD stores only have those two artists.

And HUGE HUGE WORD to UCOF for dissing the Drums. The ratio of good/bad drums is now so low that it rounds off to zero for me.

I have spun to WONDERFUL live salsa drumming. ONCE. And I would gladly give that up to be spared from the rest.

It's funny because I LOVE precussion and LOVE drums in general. One of my favorite life memories was working on the same field while the UCLA drumline practiced for HOURS. Perhaps that's why I am so critical of drumming.

What is it about US that attracts bad drumming? Because at some point, we become the common denominator.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

And I agree with the amelie soundtrack, its been far too overdone, and lets face it, few people can top a certain dervishly yers clip!

agreed ubblol

i dunno about spinning to drums. i liked it at play - it was novel! rolleyes something very nice and earthy feeling about being barefoot and spinning to real drums. but i guess it could get a bit samey.

i personally quite like stuff like daft punk, and jem's "they". but again i guess if you get too much of it you get bored/ annoyed ect.

i guess for a performance you really have to decide what your aiming for. either pleasing the audience and picking music THEY love, or going for the artistic side and picking muisc which YOU think will make a good show. spinning for other perfomers must be the worst though, cos gosh...look how critcal we all are! ubblol

if i could be a busy busy bee...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[wisper]durbs.. I actually quite like yours and JtJ's drumming, I meant to say that you two can make me boogie, though its kinda ruined when a hippy sits next to you, starts hitting away randomly, and you dont tell them to play properly or f*ck off wink [/wisper]

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
[Quote]
using other peoples art for personal profit really isn't cool.

parties, friends houses etc fine... but in the context of paid work it really sucks. either get some music written for you or find something license free.[/Quote]

I totally agree with that but have you tried to find royalty free music that is any good? Or any thing other than techno? We worked out that it would cost us more to get the songs than we get for shows that show in an entire year.

Lucky we have found a band that gave us permission to use their stuff in return for some promo but until then we were stuffed.

So it can be easy to understand why performers do this?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I agree with Blueberry above but dont wanna go into all that and go off topic
Basically Theres a simple Rule:
NEVER choose a track that you actually like, because for sure after mere weeks of practice and shows you will be VERY antti it, even come to HATE it
I used to LOVE Prodigy and well, now....ARGGghhhh!!
Having said that im not sure I agree with the 'Antti FireStarter' sentiment. In my experience it quite works for an audience to up the antti and energy.
I think what we forget is that we hear this kind of music ALL the time, both in shows and our choice of auditory pleasure. For many people in an 'ordinary' audience they wont have this overload.
Having aid all this....Enough of the Amelie already. I dont even remember it from the film but the number of times ive heard it in shows!!
Basically if someone is going to the effort of putting a routine together - i think they should go to the effort of trying to find a track that not too many people have seen...or heard even!! Im certainly not antti popular music, but using someone elses 'elses' skill at making a track which becomes popular and then not paying them isnt really on. Having said that ive done it plenty in the past!!
But have changed my mind, so dont get antti me please.
By the way thanks for the thread start Anti!!;)

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Aiyaaaa ubblol

Point your toes.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

When practicing I tend to relax more when spinning to post-rock stuff like, Godspeed! Your Black Emperor, the them from '28 Days Later' and (but not including) Sigur Ros (prefer to just listen to them).

Those are definitely very cool/mellow selections of music for listening and spinning, especially since there's some really fun/cool music from 28 Days Later.

I hate to say it, but I love to spin to "Precious" (Depeche Mode) and "Spiderman" (The Cure). They're lame, and mopey, but I love them.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:

1.) Dashboard Confessionals
I had a roommate, nay, two roommates, who forced it upon me.

2.) Covenant
It's not that I don't enjoy Covenant. It's just.... I hear it WAY too often.

3.) Blackmore's Night
For some reason, my iTunes likes to jump from my spin/practice playlist to Blackmore's Night. Not a good transition.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Antti_Everything

I've been trying to find what was the terrible techno-tune FlameOz used... I think they're a prime example of getting away with many bad choises in music. The audience loved everything. It's just bastards like me who go crazy...

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Which routine?

Dave/Grace's Double danger cheese fest?

Dave and Di's staff duo?

Name the routine and all shall be revealed. Just don't be dissing Ganga Giri (the finale with didge. That rocks. I've heard it 1000 times and still like it. Plus the aboriginal dude who sings it loves it being used for fire...)

My 3 least fave: bad drums (particularly some rude twats at the Irish EJC, who summed that whole sad story up for me. Wouldn't take no for an answer, couldn't hold up a lame beat for 5 mins) On the other hand the Moonfest drummers used to be great.

psytrance

the trebbly arrythmic aggressive over broken beats the break dancers have started playing most weeks at the Brisbane Juggle Jam. frown

OK so I have mentioned music lousy to jam to... For performance I think *Don't you think your girlfriend was hot like me* should only be used by lads. Preferably whilst setting fire to one's nylon clothing

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

addict
446 posts

Posted:
The cheese fest is cool. I'm not a big fan of cheese but theirs is great!

I think it was the girls doing poi to this classic oh so beautiful poptechno tune with single key synthpiano playing. A tune that all the 18 year olds played loud in their cars while p...ycruising (direct translation would be p...yrally) in the small towns of Finland back in the day (5-7 years ago?).

Point your toes.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think something we need to remember is that when you perform, who do you perform for?

Sure, as a fire community we see a lot of performances and therefore we hear a lot of the same music to spin to - but have the target audience? Sure, if the target audience is the fire community then maybe it's inappropriate, but if the target audience is non-spinning people then I don't see what the problem is.

I find it with street theatre; my mum has been taking me to watch street theatre since I was a kid, therefore I know a lot of the jokes and are really over them. But if you consider that most of the audience haven't heard the jokes before then why can't they make them?

Is it their fault that I've heard the jokes before when the majority of the audience hasn't? I don't think so. And I think it's the same with fire performances; we're the minority in the crowd therefore we just have to grin and bear it so the majority can enjoy it.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:

classic oh so beautiful poptechno tune with single key synthpiano playing.

You are maybe thinking of Nessies solo fire fan. Ithink it was a tune called Children.... yep, that's an ooooooldy! Nessie's JUST had a baby by the way! ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Nah, I still think he was reffering to the voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir? bit.

I always told myself Id never be caught dead performing to that song... till last month when I had a gig where the music was improved from a dj who just so happened to mix in that exact song when I lit up my poi.

At least the audience really liked it. Oh the shame!

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

You are maybe thinking of Nessies solo fire fan. Ithink it was a tune called Children...

Yeah, Robert Miles. I only realised recently how good his music is to spin to! smile

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

addict
446 posts

Posted:
And here it is folks... Robert Miles and "Children"

And Rouge.. you are too constructive and too right for this thread. Keep it up.

Point your toes.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
ah well theres so many people saying how much they hate drumming and psytrance I might as well wade in to the fray.

I disagree with drumming and Psytrance being crap to spin to. Sure if you want to ponce about waving a staff about in some pseudo-artistic impression of a one legged duck you might want to check out some break beat or a mashup if your bleeding ears dont get in the way wink - but if you care about rhythm and flow in your spinning, you cant knock psytrance and good drumming. Its got a structure that you can easily build a routine around as long as you are interested in stringing moves together - rather than just playing like a cement shoed juggler.

why does everyone hold it against drum music that they've heard a bad drum circle or player? If youve heard a good one then you must admit that theres both good and bad drumming - just as theres good and bad any kind of music. Sure its harder to get a good drum circle together because its played live than it is to stick on your favourite kylie minogue 80s bad hair CD - but does that really mean your favourite 80s track is better music?

you can go back to your psytrance / drumming / hippy bashing now wink

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
I've always been of the mindset that the best music to perform to is of your own design: Fandazzi Band
EDITED_BY: xjere (1190703753)

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Josh: In fairness, the topic of the thread is to perform to... I've done some shows with live drummers and they've been wicked.
But generally, drum circles and psy-trance don't do it for me. Unless they're good they just get stuck in a rut, and this is reflected in the spinning. Tunes, tend to have more structure and more changes which makes for a more interesting performance.

Also, with regards to psy-trance in performance, you'd really have to check your audiance, most people get turned off by doof-doof-doof, especially watching something as opposed to dancing.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

dbrgBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Well...
Actually I like movies soundtracks...
I mean, a lot of great musician wrote together music to create a certain atmosphere, what can be bad with that?
I'm usually performing with a fire staff combat number with a track from the Matrix Revolution sound track. By now, I didn't find any better music then this to create epic battle feeling...

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
dbrg- you're daniel bareket right?
welcome to HOP man smile

ChudwayBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
"I've done "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer in a nightclub on stage with aerotechs... Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, they played Britney.

Oh the shame"

Wish I coulda been there. That sounds [censored] hilarious.

Yeah I have to say, Firestarter sucks ass. I've had one good experience with hand drummers. Its hard to find good ones that rock out though. And I like some psytrance but the dark drony evil [censored] gets really old really quick. Honestly it depends on the audience. If I'm at a festival/dance party, there's not much I'd rather spin to than some gritty ass funky house beats. But then again, that kinda stuff is just a little too much for a performance. I think the best stuff for an "official performance" kinda thing is something with a good rhythm to move to, but also something that isn't too crazy or out there. Music that varies and changes so there's more to work with in your spinning...

Fast bikes, danger, fire, and knives!

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I personally like my Xena soundtracks....

*hides from the shame*

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

Written by: _Clare_

:'Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me'. No. Not really. *cringe*

I'd love to see this one actually. Maybe I'm willing to forgive female performers more... ubblove ubblol

I believe a certain hula hoop girl has been rocking this tune all over this country. Trust a french girl to take cheese and make it look damn good.

Tune in to TG4 in december to see Amelie winning the first round of 'Glasvegas' with it. A cheesy song for a cheesy talent show. Tasty. Now maybe I'm biast because my girlfriend is hot like her ubblol

Love is the law.

rrrnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
the doors
light my fire

although with a remix and a good choreographer, who knows?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Honestly I don’t think there is any song out their that can not be used. Saying that a certain song can’t be used is limiting your options. Even if a song has been used a million times a good performer can make it look fresh.

personally I think it should be considered a sin to remix to doors.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

OldLadyWinchesterSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
im pretty new at this,so i havent performed yet. but I really like Talvin Singh,specifically "Butterfly" and "OK". one of those is going to be my first performance song.

a true traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving -Lao Tzu

Page: