Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Starting definition for 'Advanced poi moves'

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Malcom, first of all, let me say THANKS for all your hard work and effort! hug

In response to the above post, I'm a bit confused so bare with me.

It's my understanding that:

1) If a move is in the library, it's not advanced.
2) If it's not advanced, it's beginner.
3) fNi and others have already uploaded some somewhat complicated moves already. I've never heard of or seen a 'meltdown'. By definition, these moves are beginner.
4) If some uberjedi (pick a random name) uploads to the library a move so complicated that he's the only person in the world that can do it, it is not advanced because it's in the library.
5) Anybody can upload a move to the library.
6) There are currently no restrictions to the level of difficulty of the moves that can be uploaded to the library.

Are all those assertions true?
Should we give any opinions on how we feel about that now or are we still in transition?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Umm.. How about having some sort of poll for every lesson, for example? To define beginning/advanced moves by the majority of opinnions..?

Or, having some sort of "intermediate" moves, not clearly defined as beg or adv, which can be discussed in both forums..?

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well I like what this guy said (even though he can be a bit blunt):

Written by: NYC

Piece of cake.

Go here:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3_0_0

Beginner is:

Everything in Beginner 1, Beginner 2, + 3 beat weaves, + butterflies, + Thread the Needles.

Done. Problem solved. Move on. Don't get into a symantic/philisophical debate over it.

I'm sure others could make different arguments but before they do, let's try to decide if it's worth it. If I missed something TOTALLY basic, let me know. If not, let's set an arbitrary but easy to understand thresh hold and let it be at that.

If it was on the old HoP lessons, it's beginner.

Everything else, BY DEFAULT, is advanced. Keep in mind, we only have two choices.

Next question.

wink

Even some crazy raver dude agreed it was sound. biggrin

Again, with the new changes, I'm always a bit hesitant since I'm not sure if they are "works in progress" (that I should contribute and comment on) or "end products of hours of deliberation" (that I should accept and support.)

This particular issue sounds like the former, but I'd hate to critique when I should be supporting or support when you're looking for critique.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

5) Anybody can upload a move to the library.

Is that true? confused

I thought there was a filter on... confused

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That's what I was asking.

I was honestly asking if my assertions were true because I didn't actually know.

I think it was misinterpreted as whining.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, so you were.
I suppose after 5 years of being here, I should start to read your posts properly wink nana tongue

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
You could always have as a heading for the beginners poi moves, something along the lines of, (and this is completely rough and of the top of my head and would need some serious changes), 'for the discussion/help with basic and beginner poi moves. If you're not sure where to post your query, post it in this forum.

I think NYC's suggestion as to classifying beginner moves is spot on. Which would mean the majority of moves would probably end up in here.

Though, unfortuantely, the more advanced threads would definately need moving over here (which I understand is going to be a truly tedious and difficult task for someone!), because anyone joining the site at the moment, is going to be very confused with the forums as they are!

Also, is there anyway of making the library more obvious to new users. I don't think I would notice it when first joining the site, I'd be more likely to go to the forums. Again, unfortunately this would be a bit of work for someone, but is there anyway of creating some sort of tutorial for people when they first join the site, even some quick overlay scene that points out, first stop for learning moves, something like that. Though not a pop-up screen as most people block these nowadays.

I think a large part of the problem is that people don't really notice or realise the lessons are there.

Also, is there some way of creating some sort of divide between the forums, there's so many, its a bit overwhelming and difficult to find which one to look at.

Anyway, thanks for all your work Malcolm!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think a more fundamental definition of Beginner helps address the problem we were trying to address.

We aren't overrun with newbies asking how to do the reverse 4 beat thread the needle, we're overrun with newbies asking how to do the weave/butterfly/mexican wave, etc...

By the time you get past those very basic moves, you've got enough background to productively participate in any advanced discussions, even if you can't yet do them.

An even simpler solution:

Move "3 beat weaves" (forward + reverse), basic butterfly (forward + reverse), basic TTN (forward and reverse) videos to "beginner moves 1+2" in the library...

THEN don't allow the general public to 'add' to beginner moves. They can add to the other sections of the library.

Then define the beginner poi moves forum as only addressing anything in the restricted beginner lessons 1+2 in the library.

Actually, you could then label the other sections things like "advanced weaves" and such to make it more obvious (with links to the advanced forums.)

I think it would help the board if THOSE moves had a particular forum, and folks like me could help wrangle newbies in there with countless questions on those moves. I think it makes it less intimidating to post for the newbies, and more satisfying to have those questions localized to that location for the oldies.

My $2. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Great new features (this and the moving threads thingy), thanks a lot, Malcolm and crew smile

I can see Pricklyleaf's point with it being tedious to go through all threads. But it's not an immediate problem really, as long as the top few pages keep getting checked, anything that's searched for and bumped will be noticed and moved to the advanced part if that's where it belongs.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Lucas MettlerSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
i personally define advanced moves as have any of the prerequisite, such as 4x4 fountain, you use the forward weave, backwards weave, and windmill. and yes for some people some of these moves are very easy to learn. such as triquetras. extension with a anti-spin. but for some people triquetras can take some time to get down. so if this theory is true isolation's, wraps, reels, and so on are also beginner. but just because you cant do a isolation dose not make you a beginner poi spinner. you can be a extremely advance poi spinner and never learn isolation's.