Page:
BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
First post! Yay!

Anyways, a question to kick off the new board:

Do you draw from a style of dance or martial art when you fire twirl? Did either of the two disciplines lead you to fire twirl? Or vice versa?

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Dante40SILVER Member
WITHOUT DANCE, LIFE WOULD HAVE NO MEANING
24 posts

Posted:
Hi! I was a professional dancer for over twenty years, but when I got into poi, and now fire, I didn't know that you could mix the the two! I've been spinning for awhile now, but just recently started to incorporate dance moves and choreography. (Thanks to pounce showing me that there's more to spinning than just spinning!) weavesmiley biggrin

Dante' Xtravaganza
"BECAUSE OF MUSIC, I AM, BECAUSE OF DANCE, I LIVE."

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I still think that it helps to have a decent repertoire of moves. Even if you can get by with a few weaves and maybe a butterfly and buzzsaw. :P

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
I incorperate a lot of different styles into my staffing, I think it mainly depends on what kind of music I'm spinning to. If there's no music I'm pretty boring to watch...

Love spinning to hip hop, and I'll generally automatically go into breakdance toprock - I'm working on contact and footwork, it goes pretty well together but you gotta be pretty damn good at both to properly jam it out.

I really wanna do more locking/popping and bellydance, I think these would go reeeally well with contact too. I use elements of these styles already.

I also do a lot of contemporary stuff but generally only if I've choreographed it otherwise I feel like a bit of a knob...

Did a course of tai chi once which I really loved, but was eventually put off since I don't subscribe to the theory behind it, I think it's all in the mind but has massive benefits. Martial artists - general views on this?

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
What do you mean by theory behind it? The concept of chi or what?

Because I do know that Tai Chi (and Qi Gong which is the only martial art art I have dabbled in, aside from Goju Ryu Karate which is what my main focus is) is firmly rooted on good body logic. The movements do help develop awareness of your limbs and so on. I still suggest doing some, even if not for use as manipulation.

I am sure that someone better qualified than I can answer this better.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if anything, playing music has influenced me more in the last 12 months than any martial arts.

musicality improves, strengthens my rhythm, adds nuance to my movement - martial arts focused me too much things that didn't apply to a fire toy: interacting an opponent, seizing on weaknesses, reading bodies.

Though my style might appear very martial arts based, I now more identify with dancing over roundahouses. Sorry Chuck Norris!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: