Forums > Advanced Staff moves > Advanced contact staff variations

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Oh how i have waited for this! A thread where we can post techy stuff without feeling guilty that noobs wont understand.

So in my head this is a thread to post variations of the basic contact moves that you can do or have simply thought "hey, what if it went round there and under that arm and out there? that would be cool"

Hypothetical stuff is cool, you dont need to be able to do it, just have the idea that its possible.

So to start it off, this summer ive been working on:

Minimum beat stuff like the min steve (removing the spin at your neck) frontside, backside and continuous (so like its isolating).

Frontside min steve horizontal angel

continuous min steve / fs cage steve type thingy

Horizontal angel rolls and seeing what variations come out. Found you can do a horizontal holy trinity (H. angel into H. jesus exit with a H. angel)

Minimum beat entry to a matrix where you skip the neck spin straight to under the arm (meg came up with this ages ago but ive come back to it)

Full conveyor belts. Easier horizontally then vertically. When you finish a normal conveyor do a propellor at the elbow so the staff goes back and does a conveyor on the underside. You can add a propellor around both hands in the middle to stabalise the staff. It sort of turns into a prayer matrix.

proppelor prayer matrix / underside of full conveyor

full conveyor matrix thing

Elbow wraps and propellors, these link nicely into a matrix variant i thought of a while ago and named with the help of meg, Bridge matrix. You roll up the outside of your upper arm, wrap around the tip of your elbow and do a sorta mini H. angel over the underside of your forearms to the other elbow and wrap back and down your other arm.

Groundwork and leg stuff like the twister (still havnt got the full version down solid yet) and the beetle. Had other ideas about cartwheel rolls but havnt got them yet. You should be able to do 4 variations of a cartwheel roll, placing in in either direction and in H or V planes.

cartwheel roll (done badly but you get the idea)

Twister

Beetle

The full twister starts in your hand, steve matrix down your side to enter the twister, then comes out the other side and rolls back up your other side to other side of matrix then steve out. Ive managed this twice ever.

that will do for now, sure ill think of other stuff and add it later.

Oh ive got videos for some of these, recon i should link them? or is that just blatant self plugging?

*edit* added videos and some more text so it makes more sense.

EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1189686522)

"Don't do it naked!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Yea lassoing seems a sensible name for the movement.
Was thinking about it and you could (theoretically, i havnt tried this yet) link 2 lassos together. So you do one on say your left hand then instead of doing a wrist propelor you let the staff continue across on the underside of your hands to the right hand and do a lasso there. This should be possible continuously, ill try it tonight and see.

"Don't do it naked!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
stick on stick above head cross - into matrix, and out (some of the time) ubblol

i love stick on stick contact - i even got a roundy roundy neck spin with a contact cross down - whooooo......

i havnt been here - but i have been playing, lots smile

hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
"roundy roundy neck spin"? do you mean a full neck wrap? if so, thats damn cool with a cross.
Tim has been all obsessed with stick on stick recently, hes been coming out with some cool stuff recently, you coming to PiP birthday? play there.

Played last night with lots of new stuff, that continuous lasso thing is possible but really hard. Simplified the twister down to its constituent parts for Drew and found another move in the process, much easier than a twister, lying down place the staff spinning anticlockwise horizontally on your right foot let it do 1 beat so one end goes between your legs and transfer to your left foot. You can either take it off the outside of your left foot or take it back onto your right and repeat the movement.

Also found a couple of new moves in the behind the head prayer position (which i think should be called convict position cos it makes you look like a convict in handcuffs). Managed to pull off a couple of matrixs and found out you can do a 360 halo over your elbows and hands above your head. Can be done horizontally and vertically. Everything in convict position links into each other quite nicely, a good entry i found is from BTH conveyor or from an elbow to elbow pivot.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well I take it you don't mean this handcuff position: https://www.mr-bens.co.uk/images/www.mr-bens.co.uk/big/269461.jpg

So then maybe you meant this: https://www.pbar.info/newimages/dau-handcuffed-in-bathroom.jpg

but then I remembered these: https://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/82/99/23239982.jpg

But that didn't seem right either... So I guess it's the position cops ask people to get into when they're arresting them:
https://www.officer.com/article/photos/1150764518122_Frisk-Techniques-005-300.jpg

thou this guy has handcuffs on for some reason:
https://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2848645/2/istockphoto_2848645_under_arrest.jpg

wink The joys of time at work. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Yea the one cops put you in.

And whats with the pictures the size of africa?

"Don't do it naked!"

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: -sandy-

Minimum beat stuff like the min steve (removing the spin at your neck) frontside, backside and continuous (so like its isolating).
Frontside min steve horizontal angel
continuous min steve / fs cage steve type thingy

Any one got any tips for this Minimal steve? I can't wrap my head around it at all (actually, the staff just bounces right off my head).

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
the staff shouldnt be touching your head at all with a minimal steve, think you need to dip your head a bit more

its an awkward move i feel because of the fact you cant look at whats going on

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
What i cant get is how much rotation to give the staff before it starts rolling....unless that doesnt matter and i just need to dip my head more lol.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
the amount of rotation needs to be less than a steve. The staff only does a half turn while it's in contact with you. In a steve it does a full turn. So when it's going across your shoulders it should be perpendicular to your shoulder, pointing directly along your neck as it is leaning down.

Yes it's disconcerting after having learnt a steve to throw the staff bodily at your face once again, in a new configuration. But after a while it's fine and you have to learn how to control it.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Whoop! Finally managed the back version of the meast/hula matrix last night. Well twice, shonkily. It's going very fast towards your head when it works good.

Another 6 months to get that clean, most likely. biggrin

anothernewbie
1 post

Posted:
Made this, hope you like it !

contact thing
EDITED_BY: another (1204580285)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Huzzah! new move for meheee biggrin. Substitution stevetrix, easier entering from the right than the left ive found.

"Don't do it naked!"

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
Recently got down a matrix variation which is rather cool.

BTB entry. More specifically: Staff off-centre grip in right hand, swing to opposite side to wrap back (about half way up) - have to lean right forward, does an extra spin on the back and then very quickly lean back as it wraps the right shoulder, neck, shoulder, coming out symmetrically (extra spin on the back straight from the second shoulder wrap, coming out at right side, caught with left hand).

Will try to get a vid soon - anyone else doing something similar? Never seen it before but it's probably been done... I am determined to christen a Zaztrix at some point...

Another recent and quite silly thing (you have to be even more bendy for this one): beginning in the same way, as staff spins on lower back reach all the way down and through your legs to take the staff and forward roll to sitting position (staff stays spinning in the same place so your legs go either side of it). Should be possible to do this to a steve instead of just grabbing it but I haven't really tried.

Might head to the studio now and do some 'cording. smile

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
Oh and yes it's possible to do that matrix continuously... but then I guess it would be a back vesion meast/hula matrix with extra spins... but, erm, good look with that!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
sounds cool, cant quite picture it yet though. Vid would be nice if you can get one. You coming to Bristol?

"Don't do it naked!"

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
I am indeed! You will see it in super-duper-high-definition.

But I will try and get a vid up before then anyway.

Oh and that last post was supposed to say "good luck with that" - rather than good look, but either way...

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
not sure if doubles contact stuff goes here but i got a multiplex to angel roll today and managed to film it grin w00t. grin

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Haven't been on for a while but am dissappointed with the lack of shiney newness on this thread! Get on it!

Recently I've been using a lot of shoulder spins - just a simple spin like a back of neck spin but staying on one side, am particularly loving front side ones... A bit more elegant than a chest spin but still a fair bit of a back bend. They feel rather nice to do. Simple but good.

Sandy: sadly couldn't make it to Bristol, was a little while ago now lol, but am going to try to get some footage of the zaztrix up soon... oh yes...

What's everyone been working on?

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Been rather distracted with doubles and clubs recently so not much newness on the contact side. Mainly been trying to work on my head rolls, my favourite one at the mo is a matrix head roll (just a matrix into a head roll) its not very solid though, comes off about 1 in 20.

"Don't do it naked!"

Yamesostranger
5 posts

Posted:
How do you like it? wink

Neck roll variations

I hope that it is not so weak smile

Page: