Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > what do we call it? Beatswitches/beatswitching :-/

Login/Join to Participate

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hello my circleloving friends.

Like the new thread :P

Got a question. I don`t have any idea if this is advanced stuff or just some simple isolationsstuff.

30 seconds in you se me doin it.

I will upload a vid where im doin the same thing but vertical and switching to horizontal.

I call this beatswitches/beatswitching, dont know ho I was talking to when we found this name.

Like the movement of it.

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
lol
sorry i was sent a link to this vid a couple of days ago

and told to lern so i could teach them how to do it

I live the speed variation
its almost like a stall but not quite (nice move i like it)

OOPs i didn'2 see the 30 sec in bit hang on let me go watch.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
humm nice your timings immaculate (unlike my spelling)

it is similar to anti spin flowers in wall plane but without the flower motion I do a very similar move will have to try it like you keeping my arms at 90'

(or where you talking about the bit just after that??
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1189685979)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
No just after that im doin some hybrid thingys where i kep the same poi isolated, need to fix the planes on that on smile

But that one I mean in 30 sec is some weird thing :P

The thing I do in the beginin started out from trying a flower piruette in hybrid and ended up like this, my friend liked it so we recorded it biggrin

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

klafkaGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
very interesting it looks like it's based off a linear isolation into a dual stall as you notice those linear isolations tend to give that sort of change of beat look because you're changing the size of area covered in a full swing and by stalling it you're accentuating it even moreso. very cool.

beautiful spinning by the way

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
love what you're doing with stalls. The thing at 30 seconds looks to me like a lock-out variation, only you're bringing the lock-outs to the back wall plane instead of staying in front. It's nice...not difficult particularly but I've never seen it before.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I think he meant the bit after that which looks like some kind of isolated meteor move somehow.

They look beautiful, I just wish I could get my head round how on earth you are doing any of it.

Any sort of breakdown of moves would be greatly appreiciated ubblove

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ComaSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
indeed it would....the move itself is very nicely executed...but I realy don't get HOW you do it...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

I think he meant the bit after that which looks like some kind of isolated meteor move somehow.

Written by: like my poi, my heart is on fire

No just after that im doin some hybrid thingys where i kep the same poi isolated

[Old link]
There are a fair few requests for a video showing hybrids in there - looks like that's pretty much sorted now wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
I will make a new thread next week where I do a breakdown of beatswitches and some vidclips of how I think you shall practice it.....

Keep your eyes open smile

In the end it looks like this move has potential when it seem that all of you that have seen the move are positive? bounce *happy*

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey hey

Erm after the cool hand-clap lockout, you're doing a hybrid weave

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Offtopic maybe: Do call it 5 beat hybrid weave when I keep the same poi isolated the whole time and 3 beat hybrid weave when you shift between wich one that is isolated and longarm?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er - depends really.
3bt you switch which poi is isolating and there's a rotation-point switch when you change sides.

I *think* if you're keeping the same poi isolated on both sides it's a 4bt because you're just carrying the circles onto the other side without the extra beat to come across with.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
biggrin

I really love the way you analyze every move and got names for everything.
I`ve bin going really deep into the movement of my poi the last couple of months and found some really weird things and this things in the vid are some of it.
I`m gonna try to make vid where I do some really weird butterfly flowers in buttertime, and hybrid piruets and one thing where I play with a onehanded butterfly and make a stall with on of them and the other keep on spinning but without moving the one thats stoped. Looks really weird when you have 2 poi in one hand and only one is spinning while doing flowers and antispins with turns.
offtopic (sorry)

The thing I wanna say is that I need your help to analyze all the thing biggrin ubblove

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I preferred the move where you set your pants on fire. biggrin

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
That is a hard as trick to make look good biggrin

I suppose that you mean the trick I do in this vid?

Im glad you liked though wink

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Not to stroke your ego or anything, but I like a lot of what you do, spin-wise. Ever since watching your CBY 2006 battle with Doc, I have been practicing buzzsaws while rolling around the ground, between the legs, behind the back, with my head on the ground.

My wife thinks Im having seizures. >_<'.

And she has officially banned me from dragging the wicks across my bare back. *sad*.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
What can I say, thanks hug

Why has she banned from do that? It`s a good way to gett rid of hair on the back and my girl likes it smooth as silk, so it`s a perfect trick, on many ways biggrin

Once again, tanks biggrin

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
a) "taking the weight off"(ala iso) wind mill
b) Half flower extension
c) Olos
d) Double stall variations

well done,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST