Page:
Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I know many of you out there are tattooed, and perhaps in the same area as I'm about to do.

How bad does it hurt to get a tattoo on the side of the waist/just below the ribs on the side. I am getting a piece done there tomorrow and I'm kinda nervous cause that's a soft, sensitive, and meaty neighborhood.

What am I in for? Anybody?

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Where ever you get a tattoo you're going to be up for some pretty intense pain levels.

As a general rule the bonier the area the more its going to hurt - however when I got my tattoos I found the bits of the flowers and the tops of the wings..going up towards to top of my shoulder, generally more fleshy than the rest of the area, hurt soooo bad.

My bodies reaction to that sort of pain is to convulse invoulantary everytime he stuck the needle in - in the end my tattoist had to use his knee and elbow on his left side to push me down steady into the chair and the other arm to tattoo with ubblol

Anyway - he said I'm the first person hes seen do that, so I'm sure you wont have such problems! hug

Let us know how you get on, and pictures are a must wink
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1189634565)

DeempjeSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
You gotta sufer if you want to be pretty wink
Don't nag about it wink

Well how about that...

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
it's funny cause everyone says the bonier it is the worse the pain. but in my experience i think it's just a different type of pain. i've had the top of my foot done and i've got tiny little feet so there's not much meat on them. it was a weird pain but not too bad. i have three tattos varying in size from medium-ish to large-ish up my spine, and they didn't hurt when it was right on the spine but they were much more painful when it got to the fleshier parts on the sides. so i dunno. i think the fleshier areas and the more sensitive areas (i.e. areas that don't get much exposure....think of inner ankle versus outer ankle) are going to hurt more.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey firenina, yes pics are a must wink

in my opinion when it comes to something like tattoos theres a number of different factors.
You ask about pain level but that completely varies to each person.

Have you ever had any other bodywork done like piercings?

I can honestly say all but one of my tattoos didn't hurt, i could feel them yes, but i wasn't bothered by the needle.
However one did, and that was because of the artist and needles used, it was a botch job which i plan on getting fixed.
Make sure you get a well experienced artist, any decent artist would use appropriate needles for the design etc, which helps minimizing pain.
Also the design itself makes a difference, the more details you have, the more pain because of the constant 'pricking(for lack of a better word) in the same area of skin. Sometimes colors are a factor, some colors on some skins are harder to 'hold' therefor going over the same area more.
Ive always thought of the more boney areas as being more painful...
One way of explaining the feeling is, if you constantly scratch a nail on the same area of skin on your hand....

Hope this helps smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
hey i just noticed you're in colorado. i used to live in denver and have loads of friends out there smile

/offtopic

ya i think pain tolerance is really what it comes down to anyway. i don't think it's all that bad and so worth it at the end. but then again, this is coming from a person with 9 tattoos and 29 piercings (having been pierced 37 times) tongue what can i say, i'm addicted.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well ........

Pain??...

It's tattoo pain... no other description.

hug

janatheGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
I like to think of it kind of like a little laser burning more than a pokey feeling. Not too bad, mostly just uncomfortable. Try to just zone out on something, and it will be worth it in the end. biggrin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
tattoo's are nothing compared to having your ear lobes amputated biggrin believe me i know.

I tend to watch when i get ink.. not that it would bother me if i didnt look.. makes no odds.. its gonna tingle, nothing you can do about that once its started.

Really depends on how much you want to take and how much your tattooist is going to give you.. i like pain so mine gives it!! and a good slap after.

*awaits Mike for a kinky comment*

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
As far as my understanding of the whole thing, getting a tattoo involves a sharp needle, a motor of some description, and some ink.

Yeah, its going to hurt.

But I'm going for one soon anyways! biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The sides are sensitive with many nerve endings there, which is why people are ticklish there. Many people find it to be quite painful and I've found that the more ticklish someone is the more they complain about the pain.
(work as a henna/temp body artist in a tat parlor off season, and am getting my tat kit this winter wink )

However, it depends greatly on you. If you have a high thresh hold for pain, it may not be so bad.
If you have sensitive skin, if you are really thin, if you have thin skin...

There is no real answer.

However, have some sugar before you go in. It'll help keep the adrenaline jitters at bay.

I always bring music to my tattist and ask that he play it, which is always does and I bring a friend to talk with. The destraction is excellent for keeping your mind off the pain. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Tats? Pain? No...... its glorious, wonderful experience and everyone should have one.

Seriously, if you have a high pain tolerence you'll be fine, it will probably be uncomfortable because of the location but over all it should feel like a slight pinch.

The one on my calf didnt hurt at all, the one on my arm felt like sunburn for a few days because of the location.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The ones on my hips were like your calf Anuebunnie, nothing at all.

My lower back one is large and hit both of my kidney areas..took my breath away and made tears jump to my eyes. Though over the spine it was fine, and almost nice.

I forgot to add, it also depends how long you sit in the chair. Your body, as a reaction, releases adrenaline. It takes between 15 and 40 minutes to really kick in, but it helps to minimize the feeling of pain. However, it only lasts a few hours so if you are in the tat seat longer than that, the pain does become more noticable. smile

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yummy kidney flab... feels weird as hell there!... but nice too.. biggrin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

The ones on my hips were like your calf Anuebunnie, nothing at all.

My lower back one is large and hit both of my kidney areas..took my breath away and made tears jump to my eyes. Though over the spine it was fine, and almost nice.

I have one on my spine, that one I felt a slight pinch but nothing major. The spine also is smaller then my other 2. Like I said the one on my arm (its a half sleeve and still not done yet frown) felt like sunburn. I think the hardest thing for me on that one was wearing those female restraining over the shoulder boulder holders. My strap would slide down over top of it and rub the tat. It was more annoying then anything, then again I am told I have a high tolerence for pain biggrin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i took a 25 round on most of my spine.. bit more of a pinch more of a punch!... but mostly enjoyable the same..

Pele I'm buying you a gift now i read this thread biggrin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

i took a 25 round on most of my spine.. bit more of a pinch more of a punch!... but mostly enjoyable the same..

Pele I'm buying you a gift now i read this thread biggrin

Really? Is it bigger than a baby's arm with better tattoos?

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yeah! sure is..

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ahhhh, awesome movie reference! ubblol

**giggles**

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
You will get used to it, the initial contact with the needle may startle you a bit but once it gets going it's fine and steady. I described mine as a constant cat scratch, I found the second tattoo I got quite relaxing.

But trust me....getting it removed hurts so much more then getting it done...worst pain ever!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Bubbles_

However one did, and that was because of the artist and needles used, it was a botch job which i plan on getting fixed.

Spot on!

A good tattooist doesn't hurt you.
The first tattoo I got the artist questioned the location saying it was a painful place to get ink and did I really want my first tatt there? - He was a good tattooist and a worst it felt like sunburn.
I have one tattoo that hurt like crazy, and just like Bubbles' it's a botch job done by a carver.
I'm certain that it was down to the hack 'n' slash job, cos I got the other shoulder done by someone very good and barely felt it at all.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
It definitely varies from person to person, artist and place. I didn't find any of mine that painful - the one on my chest wasa the worst, but still not bad. The one I got near the base of my spine didn't hurt, but it did make me involuntarily jolt about a bit when the needle went over the nerve endings either side of the bones. My friend who's a tattooo artist says the most painful places generally are the centre of the chest and the soles of the feet (ouch!), and if your a guy, the dangly bits. But I think it does vary from person to person.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm, steer clear of heavy handed tattooists. yeowch. all in all, the pain is bearable no matter where you get it done. My most painful bit of ink was on the inside of my thigh, I had to bight down on my finger for that bit. Then again, I compare it to the worst pain I've ever felt in my life which was when my appendix burst, compared to that, it's not that bad biggrin

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
yeah, I guess giving birth to a child is worse.

Apart from that: you can also get quite a kick out off having a seriously hot guy (another criterion for choosing your tattist... biggrin) scratch your skin with a needle

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto biggrin There do seem to be an awful lot fo hot male tattists out there!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Hot males in general...

why do they have to be just hot male tattooists?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wow!

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I suppose I should have been more accurate in my query. I was wondering specifically about the area of the side. I know tattoos hurt...I already have three. I have a green and black nautical star on my thy as part of an ongoing project. That one is over scarring and probably hurt the worst so far. I have a Scissor Sisters emblem between the tips of my shoulder blades and lemme tell ya that was an adventure. My shoulders are seriously off, so it was an odd combo of bone-flesh-bone. My first though was a Hawaiian surfer petroglyph on my right hip. That one was moderate pain, but I must say, the back tip of the board tickled oddly.

So it sounds like since this is a tender area and I am a bit on the thin side and the tattoo involves a whole lot of shading and colouring...this is gonna be in the neighborhood of being ground into hamburgur. I don't think I am actually gonna get a "hamburger" job done to me though judging by the pieces on my friends.

Alas, I have never had a hot tattoo artist. My main dude, Carlos is rather on the large side and the guy who did my star was an approximately 65-70 year old bikerish looking dude with his shop walls dripping awards. Talk about a trustworthy artist. Today's artist has done several of my friends.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

Hot males in general...

why do they have to be just hot male tattooists?

Kat Von D and the LA Ink girls will definately change that perception. I ubblove inked 50's style pin-ups!

But since it is us fems talking, hot men should be the course of the day, and hot men with an ink gun in hand *swoon*

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yummy kat von d biggrin

I'd love to get some portrait work done by her.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
for me it's all about the pain.. the ink is just a souvanere!

Round my belly button was interesting.. so where the little leaves close to my armpit..

I'm drawing a dragon for my upper thigh at the moment so may report back after that.. smile

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Page: