Forums > Social Discussion > the digression of threads via semantics

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've started to realise that many threads seem to be breaking down based purely on what words MEAN rather than the general point of the thread. I know we need to be more concise in the naming of threads but why do people find this issue to be such an interesting topic.

Discussions on many threads have moved from the point of the topic to an arguement on the meaning of words. should we now all put the definition we are talking about in the original post so this doesn't occur or is it just the fact that we seem to have differing opinions on language? After all it is an international board surely we should try and stick to the simplest / obvious meanings rather than make it more difficult for people who do not have English as a first language to understand or are the language / cultural differences what causes these debates to degenerate?

wiki explaination of semantics

has anybody else noticed this? I ask because it happened in MCP's thread on expert verses amateur and seem to frustrate poor meg because it wasn't the point she was trying to make.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Put me on the stupid side of HoP, I still believe that we connect different meanings to the same words. It's perfectly legal to verify (between the lines: "Hey are you talking about *this* or is it something else?).

But to continue in "chit chat/ tit for tat mode", indulge on limerick responses and cease to engage ones own mind is what derails threads.

It's not the responsibility of the "thread owner" (IP) to keep it on track. It's the responsibility of each and every participant to issue an intellectual restraint order and refrain from posting, unless it tackles the topic.

Cheers Tom...this board appears rather unique in the world of message boards, and that uniqueness. IMO, is what necessitates the OP ( or the mods ) to give it a nudge back toward the intended topic.

Mynci..apart from the senior's lounge you say ? curious, because the offtopicness in Meg's expert/armature thread all came from senior members. I agree there should have been words in the OP, but reading the articles ( esp the SciAm one) provided insight as to what the thread was really about.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
nO i mean the thread on the seniors lounge is still seeming to be hotly on topic not that seniors stay on topic ubblol I'd have to be a crazy person to believe that.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Page: