pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
OK, after some seriously extensive searching cool I couldn't find anything on this.

I want to buy some fire fans. I have never used fire fans before, and I don't know anyone with a pair, so I don't know which ones to go for. At the moment I'm looking at the HoP heavy fans...

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/104_33_Large_Fire

but the weight does worry me. I'm small and don't have the best of backs, but I am fairly strong. Has anyone had any experience of these.

another alternative:

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/fire_fans_poison.html

These are a bit out of my price range, but any views would be good... (plus I don't think they're trading at the moment)

https://www.oddballs.co.uk/acatalog/Fire_Fans.html

Hop obviously being the cheapest. I'm going to buy these very soon, ie, within the next 24 hours hopefully, so any quickish replies would be greatfully recieved wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

I don't know anyone with a pair

ahem.

So why weren't you at my trickswap at Play?

I have these ones. Or at least an earlier version of them (the spider ones), they're nice and light and the powder coating is smooth for spinning and doesn't flake off.. Helps that I have a friend who makes regular trips to the states and so could bring me them back without postage costs mind...
There's not a lot of detail on the construction/finish on the HoP ones, which concerns me a little, so to me and my primarily spinning them* mind the oddballs ones look the best bet...

*As opposed to dancing with them. I believe Chimaera use the HoP ones and get on just fine with them. However, heavy hurts for extended spinning moves, so perhaps what you want to be doing with them should inform your choice.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Perhaps this might help smile

I have used both the rope fans and the 5-spoke fans. They are quite heavy seeming at first but you will acclimatise to them. I have used other types of fans and I can speak highly of HoP's ones. They are well balanced and the spinning/trigger finger is aptly placed for people of most statures. I would highly recommend them but it goes without saying you may benefit from a few good wrist stretches before commencing play smile

hug

(PS. You can expect buff arms after constant use! tongue )

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Or, you could cheat like me, buy some steel rods from your local Home Depot or Lowes, and have a friend of yours weld a bodgered couple of sets to try the different ones out as well as have a set to beat up?**

**It cost about $60 for me to make a couple of pairs in purchasing the steel, a six pack of Killians, and a six pack of Guinness to pay a friend to make them. It took about two hours to for him to actually shape and fabricate them, and another four drunken hours of hanging out because he decided to spray them black with engine paint when I went outside to take a phone call.... forgetting I needed to, I don't know, go home eventually).

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
NIgel - Well I was in South Africa at the time of play so tongue

You could have come to the meet so I could play with them tongue tongue wink

Brenn, where did you manage to find that? Oh you wrote it!

The thing about the hop ones is that they have that magic spinning hole. I'm not sure if I'm that bothered about them looking fancy, because at the end of the day, when its dark and they're lit, you can't really see them anyway. I'd rather get some stronger, cheaper ones. Brenn, in your video's on youtube, what type are you using?

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:

NIgel - Well I was in South Africa at the time of play so tongue

OK, I'll accept that excuse wink
What about BJC then? I did one there too...

You could have come to the meet so I could play with them tongue tongue wink

Next time I can get to a meet cos I'm not working that day I'll bring them.. Or if you remind me I'll take them to the Manchester Convention

The thing about the hop ones is that they have that magic spinning hole.

At play we found that the larger hole (where all the spokes meet) was generally more comfortable for sustained spinning. Basically any set with a circle on them somewhere can be spun comfortably. (Key word comfortably (and even that's a relative term, I've rubbed up a fair few blisters on fire gigs by spinning my fans a lot), any fire fan can be spun at the junction of the spokes.)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
As Nigel says, the Chimaera girls use the HoP fans which work well for our routine. The only thing i find is that the burn time isn't that long (for the routine) - so i'm personally looking round for a new set also to try out. I don't really "spin" them, i dance with them so perhaps my requirements are a little different.

Gayle.....!

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:

Brenn, in your video's on youtube, what type are you using?

All fan videos of me (save for the tutorial ones on HoP - they are the rope fans) have been the 5 spoke large fire fans from HoP smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
OK, I'm taking the plunge and going for the HoP ones, as they are by far the cheapest. And I may no longer be a student, but I'm still skint. Thanks for all your imput guys biggrin

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:

OK, I'm taking the plunge and going for the HoP ones, as they are by far the cheapest. And I may no longer be a student, but I'm still skint. Thanks for all your imput guys biggrin

I would prefer to say "inexpensive" ubblol I've had mine for almost a year and have used them heavily and they are still sturdy for me. You have made a good investment smile

Happy spinning! hug

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy