Forums > Help! > Poi/Skill Toy Articles... Help!

Login/Join to Participate

SpikeEvolutionSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Hello everybody,
I wasn't sure which forum to put this under...

I am doing a class project for a PE class I'm in and we have to do a presentation on an exercise program type thing friday. My teacher said that we have to have 4 articles that are reliable. As in really reliable websites. Does anybody know any good articles on Poi and other Skill Toys... especially how they deal with health. I've seen Nick Woosley's video which is pretty good but I don't know how "reliable" my teacher would think it is.

On that note, is there a way to prove reliability? confused

Thanks!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Look in the articles section here on HoP, i remember a yahoo article on poi as a fitness activity a while ago, have a search for it, also meg has written some articles on staff on her site www.firestaff-tutorials.co.uk cant remember if they are what you are looking for but worth checking out.

As for reliability of information, its the internet, most stuff is peoples personal oppinion and there hasnt been much scientific research on spinning as far as i know.

Hope that is of some help smile

"Don't do it naked!"

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
These are as reliable as you're going to get in this area! Like Sandy says, Hop articles...

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/

Nick Woosley's articles

https://www.playpoi.com/about_poi

There's always the wiki (um, reliable? possibly sometimes...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_%28juggling%29

And most probably scraping the barrel...

https://goaustralia.about.com/od/northislandsightseeing/ss/rotorua_9.htm?terms=poi

(you'll need to poke around that last one to see if you can find anything).

The whole reliability issue is a difficult one nowadays, although the internet is becoming more accepted as a source of information, (there is now a 'correct' method to record internet references in academic essays). But then, at the end of the day, even books are subjective. Poi as we know it is a relatively new thing, and you are not going to find any books published researching poi scientifically. So in that case, the internet is the most relevant and reliable source for you to use. And reputable websites such as HoP, can be trusted as reliable sources of information. (as far as it goes!).

So if your teacher says anything, you can tell them that. (And I used to be a teacher, and if a pupil told me that I would be very impressed) wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SpikeEvolutionSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Understood (and thanks for the articles), but do you suppose I could scrape up some articles on dance, or martial arts weapons training, or resistance training (which it is) or anything like that which has been researched lots. Integration of other similar activities would probably work.

BTW, was looking at your myspace you seem like an awesome person. And I was just sending somebody some poi videos on youtube, and apparently you were one of the top commentors on one of them.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you should be able to find severeal health articles on the benefits of juggling as it is the most famous of the manipulations and has had research into physical and mental health I used it several times for my degree in sport hug
just type juggling and health benefits into google and see what comes up the internet juggling database or governing bodys of juggling will probably have articles too, good luck biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SpikeEvolution

BTW, was looking at your myspace you seem like an awesome person. And I was just sending somebody some poi videos on youtube, and apparently you were one of the top commentors on one of them.

Really? I thought I'd deleted nearly everything off my myspace...

and, ooo, which video's? I've got to ween myself off youtube, and actually go learn some stuff. [/off topic]

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Have you seen Nicks scales of Poi as well as other stuff?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
yeah i agree. nicks videos are probs best, i like the skilled toys and your health one - could be quite useful.

if i could be a busy busy bee...