Forums > Social Discussion > Class Distinction - What do you think of it?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was looking through the photos of my UK trip the other day when I came across these photos of a park in Bath. My family took the photos because to us, the concept of an unfenced area that was prohibited to the general public is one of the most obsurd things ever. There is nothing to indicate that it is "exclusive" apart from the sign; it is a park out in the open, just raised slightly higher than the section where the plebians are allowed to sit. We actually walked on it until we saw the sign. Only one person was sitting on it; the rest was going to waste and we thought it was sad that such a lovely area came with restricted access.

How do UKers feel about the fact that they are made to sit below other people and being excluded by an arbitrary (money?) line that someone has drawn?

Why do the people who "subscribe" to these lawns feel the need to separate themselves from the rest of the people?

Non-Https Image Link

Note how it is raised, therefore the upperclass are literally above the regular people?

Non-Https Image Link

Close up of the sign

Non-Https Image Link

Just thought I'd throw this one in as well.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eera

I've also found farmers are far more likely to let you ramble over their land in the UK,

it took many many years for trampers/walkers/ramblers to get a law past to give them access to "Rights of Way" and that was after Stiff opposition from the various farmers unions and groups.

I suspect has a while before it will catch up with this concept

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Dunno though... In some parts of the country, farmers have been maintaining public footpaths for as long as I can remember.

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
You tlaking about the UK or Oz?

yeh am not saying all farmers are like farmer palmer from the Viz comics by any stretch of the imagination. not at all.

look at places like the peak district, lake district, wales etc etc. amazing walks that go through farmland

and for sure, at timeslike harvest times and lamb season you can understand why theiy would want to retrict access.

but there were definitely land holders that made it very restrictive for ppl to access their land even though they were required to.

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Erm... the UK. Sorry.
And yeah, pretty much depends where you are. In National Parks, they're pretty much obliged to grant access.

Actually, the grumpy ones don't tend to be farmers. They're often "Agricultural Businessmen".

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

I think that class distinction is an interesting topic. Especially in the UK.

Unfortunately, that doesn't account for the fact that I don't want any of you people on my lawn.

Seriously.

Stay off my lawn.

You live in a 1BR apt in the East Village.

umm

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: