Forums > Social Discussion > Goodnight Madeleine L'engle

Login/Join to Participate

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Madeleine L'Engle closed the chapter of her life

i think this is the first time someone famous passing away meant something to me. the Wrinkle in Time series still sits on my shelf among my favorite literature. when i serendipitously found a modern-day dvd of the story, i had to buy it despite having no money at the time. i have read and re-read her books throughout my childhood and into my adult life, and i'll pick them up again undoubtedly soon. i can't even express how i'm feeling right now. i've spent my entire life immersed in books, they let me go somewhere from the comfort of my own home. and her books touched me to no end. today is a very sad day frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
It made me sad as well. I used to have some of her books but they have gotten lost in the many moves. Her explanations of spirituality touched with a bit of good old fashioned fantasy renewed my interest in reading.

There was a movie?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Thank you for posting this, Pounce. I hadn't heard about her passing...I loved her books as a kid and actually just re-read A Wrinkle in Time about a year ago. Faith, there was a made-for-tv version of it a few years ago that featured Alfre Woodard as Mrs. Whatsit. I remember loving A Ring of Endless Light also.

From the article: “Why does anybody tell a story?” Ms. L’Engle once asked, even though she knew the answer.

“It does indeed have something to do with faith,” she said, “faith that the universe has meaning, that our little human lives are not irrelevant, that what we choose or say or do matters, matters cosmically.”

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya there's a movie of Wrinkle in Time done by Disney. i think it was a made for tv movie put out on ABC. it wasn't great (not that any movie version of a book is), but it was still nice to see the movie version.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Aw, thanks for telling us pounce.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was so sad when I saw she passed, but at the same time she had such a full life, from what I've heard/seen/read of her.

If we all create our own heaven's, hers must be nothing short of magical!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks for posting this, pounce, I had no idea!

I've just been thinking about some of her books in the last few days, mostly about that little boy saying how people smelled yellow or green etc (I wish I could remember his name, but it's been 17 years since I read them!). I also read out part of one of her books in a reading competition at school when I was 10 smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
oh, she was such an inspiration, so many ideas so well presented. Much missed, and will remain treasured for her incredible writing!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Oh I did see the movie, I remember alfre doing that prt

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed