Forums > Social Discussion > Difference between experts and amateurs

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/03/how_to_be_an_ex.html

&&

https://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?article...r=1&catID=2

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I don't think that's the point of this thread, I think meg is more pointing out the mental requirements required to push yourself along the learning from beginner to expert. I think megs feeling on the semantics of her wording are apparent on the previous page wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
To be fair, the only thing the subject's missing are the words "What's the" in front. Perhaps "How to become an expert" would've been a better subject line.
Just my $0.02... But enough of that! wink

It's certainly true that most people get so hung up on what they can't do that they don't realise what they can. That's why it's so wonderful watching kids spin poi.

Their brains haven't become full of all the locks and blocks that us adults have yet. In their mind, there's no reason why they can't do something, so they just do it. I've heard friends who are parents say about how their children will spontaneously do tricks like weave turns without ever having been taught a reverse 3-beat.

No wonder people think you can only be good if you start young. We could learn a lot from children... smile

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
agreed,

I however have an unfailing confidence in my own ability that any child would envy ubblol I may have a go then reflect "that's hard" but it wouldn't stop me having another go. I learnt a magic trick yesterday that is suggested to take several weeks of practing because of the muscle memory required. I used the memory learnt through complicated 3 ball juggling patterns almost cross wired my brain to find a similar movement already there and used that and with a couple of refinements had it almost as good as the teaching video.
I think that it's important to when becoming expert to draw from what you already know, I only started juggling after i was 25 but I can still develop along with the 16 year olds ubblol (until my arthritis kicks in)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Cross-wiring. smile Very true. Making use of muscle memory you already have is the way forward!

I do poi and contact juggling, I've done some staff, and my latest escapades involve nunchucks. It's great to take skills from one toy and use them on another. All the poi really helps with the chucks. Contact juggling too, really helped me get my poi spinning nice and fluid. I think it even helped with my airbrush technique. wink

Confidence really is key. When I first started out, half my bruises were from moments of "Hang on, what the hell am I trying to do!?" *thud!* "Owww...". These days, it's more a case of "Ah, what the hell" and just trying it.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
many manipulation moves cross props poiggling is this simplest and clear proof as reverse split time butterfly and a 3 ball cascade or 4 ball fountain show.

I think expertise is also knowing when to use other learned skills to your advantage OR importantly knowing when something similar is not quite right

(back to poiggling - mills's mess and weave not quite right - mikes mess and weave = perfect biggrin )

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
(Can you do it with Rubenstein's Revenge? wink )

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Love the pic in the 3rd post. thanks NYC

Page: