Page:
ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I have been getting into making a lot of circus/ spinning costuming of late and I was thinking that there must be some other hoppers that do this kind of thing as well.

I know there have been costume threads in the past, but the only ones I could find were people asking for specific help. I thought it would be great to have one place where costumers could discuses / share links / share techniques/ ask questions especially because as spinners / performers our demands and needs in costuming can be quite different.

So yeah here we go. biggrin

Ps. I was debating which forum this should really go in, but considering it is about building and that sort of thing I thought this one would be ok.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Great idea Blueberry - I've been messing around with EL wire and LEDs in clothing for a while. My latest effort were a pair of trousers with a spiral of LEDs running up the leg. Very prickly to wear though, and the connections broke loose after one night out, and one night spinning- d'oh! I can't sew either, so most of my constructions are with safety pins and superglue ... could be why!

My demands? Affordable clothing with LEDs inside - places like Cyberdog in Camden charge an absolute fortune for rave-wear https://www.cyberdog.net - any ideas on how to make battery powered lght-up clothing whilst still making them durable?

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Yeah, admittedly it's been a couple of years since I purchased something from Cyberdog, but whole reason I stopped shopping there was because of the terrible quality of their over priced clothes.

Shame though, they did some funky stuff. frown

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
I ment to make a post my self last night but the interwebs died unexpectedly.

I do a lot of sewing and am currently working on making some cheesy trad style circus costumes. There is just something about the gaudy style that I love. I am also trying to make a pair of shorts for hooping in (read: butt shorts) but I am struggling to find a pattern to start me of in the right direction.

[Quote]
Any ideas on how to make battery powered light-up clothing whilst still making them durable?
[/Quote]

If you go about it correctly el wire can be quite durable. So things that might help though
• get the super tough stuff from cool neon ( it is designed for use out side)
• Make sure there is some kind of built in support for the battery pack, for example a small pocket stitched to the inside of the pants.
• Make the el wire removable, so that the garment can be washed. A good way to do that would be having little Velcro tabs that hold it on, or you could run the el wire through some skinny clear plastic tubing that is sewn in to the pants.

Have you had a go at hand sewing? it is really not as hard as you may think, and there are lots of web sites you can look up that will give you tips. It will make your life a lot easier.

Jane biggrin biggrin

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Material for your short shorts ... stripes or fur ... or both? At Nowhere festival, everyone was nuts for sewing on long furry tails to every item of clothing.

The clear plastic tubing idea is genius biggrin I recently bought a few cheap plastic lightsabers, and taken all the blue LEDs out ... I'll see what can be made with them (I really want a good pair of sparkly trousers to wear!)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah for the moment my shorts are just going to be black lrycra beacuse it is streachy and easy to make costumes out of. Unfortunatly fur is not streachy enough to make shorts out of, but that would be cool.

I have used the clear tubing idea a couple of times. I have found that you can buy some nice thin clear tube at fish tank shops and hardware stores, It is fairly flexable too.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Does fur stretch on the bias? If you make it like (very) old style leggings maybe it wouuld work.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking about buying a poi costume at the moment. I'm on a very, very tight budget, can anyone recomend anywhere to buy (or any hoppers)? I've tried searching on google, with not much success, unfortunately I can't fit in to clothes made for 9 year olds anymore, which is what the market seems to be geared for.

I'm looking for something that I could hoop in also, so skirts etc, would be out.

Thanks guys!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Do we have any pattern cutters on HoP. I'm looking for someone to collaborate with on a project I have in the pipe line. PM me if you are interested.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Blueberry

Unfortunatly fur is not streachy enough to make shorts out of, but that would be cool.

So maybe a design that includes lycra inserts?

Or, given that it's fur, use the long pile stuff to disguise the fact that you've made them a little bit big.

I wouldn't go mixing fire spinning and funfur tho'...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo this thread is exciting so many good ideas alread : )

[Quote]I'm thinking about buying a poi costume at the moment. [/Quote]
What sort of costume are you looking for?
-fire?
-stretchy and tight (leotard sort of thing) or more tribal/ leather type stuff?

I have been looking out for costumes to buy but there is not much out there.

Recently I have had luck finding some costumes for my hooping act on some stripper wear sites. If you have a look around on those they have some cool jumpsuits and stuff that aren’t too revealing, their Halloween sections are usually fairly good. They are no good for spinning with fire though because most of the stuff is synthetic.

[Quote]
Does fur stretch on the bias? If you make it like (very) old style leggings maybe it would work. [/Quote]
Unfortunately the fur I have at the moment does not stretch on the bias. But I’ll keep an eye out for some that does, that is a good idea.

I was thinking about doing some shorts with the stretchy inserts. But I think I will work out some plain ones first as I am still struggling to get the pattern just right. Does any body know of any good patterns?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Or make them like chaps with the critch out and interesting undergarments

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
he he .. critch smile
That is a good idea though, but it might be a bit breezy :P

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Wow, I never even knew that there were dedicated websites for strippers to buy there cloters, but, guess it figures! I'm going to go have a route around.

I'm looking for something not too revealing, but tight. I like flared trousers with the triangle flashes in the legs. I don't know exactly what I want, but I'll know it when I see it! I'm thinking about somthing maybe a bit sparkly/showy, that is obviously a costume, not just normal clothes!

And, it would definately need some fire resistance to it. Although if I perform it won't be with fire, (I'll be performing with a dance company under their insurance. And inside anyway). It's more for a photo shoot.

Thanks for the help so far.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Hurm have a look around the striper web site you may find some thing that fits your idea.
I really like this design of pants but they might not work to well whith fire.
https://www.melodiadesigns.com/
There are a few differnt sites that sell similar things out there. Actually if you wanted to make them for non fire use they would be fairly easy to make using some strech fabric. Then you could use all of the sparkley fabric you could think of.

Another idea would be to have alook around on ebay for some "dance pants" or "jazz pants" you can often find some in really nice flattering styles.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ooo, those are nice. I bet they could be adapted to be more fire friendly. Keep the short skirty bit around the waist and just make the flares smaller, it'll still have an effect. Also, even for non-fire, flares that big wouldn't be that great as they are very easy to trip up in, tangle yourself in, and can limit your movements.

But they look really great.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah I defiantly think that for performing the flares would need to be smaller. I have had some bad experiences with badly designed costumes with big flared legs.

There are some really cool quarter length plaid pants in some of the pre-packaged punk shops round where I live, I’m thinking about getting a pair because they look comfy and pretty cool but they are fairly cheep and you can still move in them.

I’m a little stuck with a stilt costume that I am supposed to be designing at the moment. We are trying to make a stilt walking tree character but we want to avoid making it look like some kind of prop from a primary school play which is hard. I think I’m going to go for more of a tree spirit angle but I am still a little bit stuck as to how to make the branches of the tree look branchy with out being too big. Any ideas any one??

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Blueberry

I’m a little stuck with a stilt costume that I am supposed to be designing at the moment. We are trying to make a stilt walking tree character but we want to avoid making it look like some kind of prop from a primary school play which is hard. I think I’m going to go for more of a tree spirit angle but I am still a little bit stuck as to how to make the branches of the tree look branchy with out being too big. Any ideas any one??

Sculpting them from plaster bandage? That'll be easy but heavy, and relatively fragile...

Or moulding them from silicon.. Do you know any live-action role-players? Those guys work hard on their costumes, and the folk who make masks etc for them are very good, if you could search out your local rubber sword wielders I'm sure you could find someone to help make branches for you...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Intresting one. Silicon is also very heavy in large quanitities, and could possibly need some sort of support.

I reckon your best bet would be fibre glass, which I belive you can use in a similar way to the mod-rock (plaster bandages) Nigel was describing.

Other than that, chicken wire and paper mache?!

Remeber, that whatever you use to make the structure, you're going to cover it up, so the covering is the thing that makes it look proffessional. A decent paint job, with the mossy stuff you can buy from train modelling shops would work well.

I think fibre glass is definately your best bet, its more durable, lightweight, and gives a good surface finish. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to tell you more than that, so you'll have to google it I'm afraid, unless someone else here has had more experience of it.

Edit, reading your post again, maybe the above isn't the best way to go. (especially not if you're likely to fall over, ow!)

How about instead of thinking of branches sticking out, you have more of a vine like thing, around a tree trunk, with possibly just a few branches sticking up from the top. So some sort of stems creeping around the trunk. Does that make sense? confused
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1189426467)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Ents are funky. They didnt seem to have big branches and had legs.

Is it the Truth?

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

Intresting one. Silicon is also very heavy in large quanitities, and could possibly need some sort of support.

Just to be clear on the use of silicon, the result wouldn't be solid.. It's a long and involved process of making a mould from an initial sculpture, then using that mould to cast with, but just a thin layer of silicon - much like a halloween mask for example... That could then be stuffed with something like foam fragments to provide support.

Of course, being involved makes it expensive.. I was quoted £300 about 5 years ago to make a (coincidentally) wood spirit mask and gloves using this process...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I stand corrected, hadn't considered that, sounds to be more like how I would use latex. (Which I guess in a way is almost the same thing!)

Silcon sounds liike a very good option then (except for cost!). At least that would be soft.

Are you wondering more about the actual design, or what materials it could be made out of or both?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
https://phoenixrisingartists.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

I love these. They even have some of the same batik-designs as the Melodia Phoenix ones (as the designs are done by the same people). I've got a pair of the blue Mariposa and the Black Icarus (Icarus is my FAVE!!)

There's a slight flare, but nothing so big it gets in the way, more of a boot-cut to them. And the waist isn't too high, isn't too low, and has a little "v" to it in the front that's really cute. I have an abdomin pooch, and it's still a flattering pant for me.

Yeah, they're pricy, but at 90-something% cotton and so beautiful and comfy, I was pretty OK with not eating for a week to pay for them. biggrin

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I've just gone shopping in brighton and picked up a very cool ripply red wizard hoody from a cool boutique store for £25 smile definately good for day-spinning and busking, not so fun mixing fleece and fire.

Do you live near a forest? Is using bark from real trees an option? If using real bits of wood, less is definately more - you don't want to plaster yourself in it, it would look tacky, as you say. A few bits, especially across the face, or wrists, or your most visible parts of the body ...(try to find a bit of wood with a knot in, and poke the knot out, to make an eye hole - makes excellent goggles when strapped across the face!)

Let us know when you have the results - everyone should be posting pictures of their creations!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Oooo all the ideas
The part i'm struggling with most for the tree is actually the design beacuse the branches need to be proportional to the legs or trunk but the net was a great suggestion gnor smile. I had not thought about silicon or fiber glass yet bu i had been thinking about sculpting some foam so i think i might try and work some of those in to the plan.

mparker i really like those pants v-cool.

Hurm when i get my lazy but in to gear and take some photos i'll post them. But don't hold your breath :P

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Ok, have you thought about a tree stump instead of a tree? So one with just a few branches poking about rather than, well, a whole tree?

And those trousers are very, very pretty indeed, I really like them. Out of interest, what top do you wear with them?
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1189467159)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo a tree stum would be cute.
oh it would be so cute if the stilt walkers minder was a little stumpy stump hehehe funny.

If i had some of those pants i would probably were a fairly tight simple top maybe with a head band or some arm cuffs so as not to distract from the pretty pants.

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I'm not actually performing so the need for "full on costume" isn't there, but the pants make me feel more ...competent...in my practice sessions.
So for now I've just been wearing simple black halters or tank-tops. And when it's cooler a great tight black cotton long-sleeve top with tie-died sleeve ends and hem that I got at REI. The tie-die is subtle and in perfect color match to my blue pants.

I'm a leatherworker, though, and eventually want to make a really nice leather vest-type top with coordinating designs on it. I even have the leather. Now..the TIME... ubblol

A painted -if you have skills for it -or templates for that matter, or a talented friend- halter or tank would also be gorgeous.

The shop I linked to sells some nice tie-tops. But there's no way I'm showing that much of my tummy!!

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Wet worked leather?
You can get some wonderfun effects by soaking leather and then hamering it between patterned moulds.
spirals waves etc.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Ha!
"Wonderfun"
New word day!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Oooo that method of leather working sounds interesting.

Yesterday I found the perfect costume pattern to satisfy my trad circus costume kick.
Here is an example of what it will hope fully look like.

But I am a bit stuck on what colours to use. The blue and fairy floss pink looks so awesome, but I know that the pink will look funny on me because I have red hair and really pale skin. biggrin

Any one got some suggestions on colours? My theory is that they should be fairly contrasting but that is about all I have.

1431outfitbodice-1
1431outfit3

Page: