albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
so... whos got any good stories?

next week, im going to my 1st ever national circus and physical thearter festival, "Catapult" in bathurst. im supposed to do a juggling ruitein in frount i dont know how many people. about an hour ago, i got my fingure sucked into an angle-grinder. a few years ago, i did a fire show after dislocating my shoulder.

bounce bounce2

EDITED_BY: albotross (1188862556)

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
not so much injury but I was working inside a club doing fire followed by a glow walkabout and I started to feel a bit didgy on arrival then really rough doing the fire, then in the break between fire and glow food poisoning took full effect and I was stuck in the club toilet for the next 2 and a half hours being violently sick not pleasant shrug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Bitten by a poisonous spider before a Ren Faire day with 3 shows. Foot swelled 3x it's normal size. I had it looked at, wrapped tightly, was given meds and went on stage. Between shows I could be seen puking in a bucket and sitting under a tree with my foot up. We have photos of that show and you can see my foot wrapped in them.

At a dress rehearsal 2 hours before a bellydance show my skirt slipped off my hips and I twisted my ankle hard core.
I iced it and wrapped it with the ice in it. We debated cancelling the show but I refused. In the video I do a kick and in that one you can see that my ankle is wrapped and looks the size of a large ball.

I am sure I have many, many more but those are the ones I have photographic evidence of. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
ouchy... thats commitment!!
i remembered last nite, that i did a show at the start of the year, with the side of my thumb missing. i accidently hit my hand on a corrugated iron fence,and ripped a slap off the side of my thumb. it was still attached, but only just. it wasnt overly serious, but i was making fire pics at the time. thats realy hard with your hand bandaged.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Before one show I was running full speed back from my car when I caught my foot in the leg of my costume pants and totally snapped my self.

One minute I was running the next I was sliding head long along some very rough tarmac. The worst part was that we had to go on in about 5 min and I had blood coming out of the huge scrapes on my knees, hip and elbows. But I did the show and went straight to bed only to find that when I woke up I could barely walk because of the grazes on my knees and my muscles that had seised up from falling hard in the cold.

We had three more shows that weekend too. I would have to say even though I have broken bones and had worse grazes from falling of my bike, that would have to be the most painful night ever.

But at least i have some awsome scars too show for that one and the show went really well. smile
EDITED_BY: Blueberry (1188874934)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah - Katinca had a serious burn the week before we were to perform in front of the Minister for Arts among other arts people. We couldnt perform. was a bummer but we got over it, and she and I learned a good lesson about not taking skills or safety for granted smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
i put my hip out the day before 2UberOz, does that count?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
id sey so... does a dislocated hip hurt anything as much as a shoulder? thumbs dont hurt much, but i once had the ball of my shoulder back where my shoulder blade was ment to be, and that wasnt too much fun. fortunately, it was the day AFTER a show.
am i the only one who only ever gets injured within 2 weeks eather side of a show?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I had a show last night that was paying well (someone's 50th birthday bash). Course, I also have a broken rib right now too.

Nothing too severe, but it kind of slows down the ability to take deep breaths or twist to one side fully, so the routine I was doing was a bit ...tamer.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyrolific

she and I learned a good lesson about not taking skills or safety for granted smile

That's lesson is such a bitch, innit? Not that I'd know from experience or anything. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I've minorly burned my leg doing poi, but that's about it. It was a simple mistake really. I went to do a ponche (best explained as an arabesque on steroids. Leg behind body way the hell up high with body leaned forward.) and I wasn't paying attention to where my technique was leading my leg and where my planes were with my leg in mind. So my left calf got a sexi lil' poi burn, barely even noticable...I've had worse curling iron burns.

*Touches wood*

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I don't know whether I should share this because it isn't exactly the best fire safety story.

I was spinning Snake poi/poi of death in a routine with a friend as the last routine of a 15 minute performance.

We had 20 seconds on music from lighting up to starting our routine and after 3 seconds, the handles of my right hand became alight... And then my right pointer finger knuckle was on fire.

And Nat, being stupid and proud, didn't want to ruin the so far perfect show, so she didn't drop her poi and kept spinning for another 8 seconds until she could smother the handles with the rest of her hand.

And the routine went perfectly and we got our 'ultrahard-omg-they're-spinning-fire-around-each-other-move'.
And we bowed etc...

And I looked at my knuckle and it was white. OOPS!

And being a typical medical student I didn't go to the doctors until later in the day, and had to go to the state Burns Clinic the next morning. Extremely embaressing.

But in the end, I came out with a wonderful learning experience and now our "keep handles away from fuel" rules are quite strict.

And I know what supplies to nick from the hospital in case of another incident.. biggrin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
rolleyes rolleyes

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: natasqi

But in the end, I came out with a wonderful learning experience and now our "keep handles away from fuel" rules are quite strict.

This or "soke your handles in water" (depending whether plastic or leather)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Written by: natasqi

This or "soke your handles in water" (depending whether plastic or leather)

very true. i always got the job of washing the handles when they fell in the water. incidently, it never occured to me till just recently, that i could REMOVE the handles wile i dipped... ubblol ooooops