Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Just out of curiosity...

For a budget PC (say, £500 US$750) would you go for Athlon, Celeron, or Pentium?

I have my opinion, but I wondered what others thought.

Also, why is that fluff that collects in your belly button always blue . Even if I'm wearing a white shirt, always blue....

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
athlon

Jo what colour pants do you wear?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I wonder if glass means trousers or actual underwear...........cos if he's turned american I'll be an angry fairy....

and if he hasn't, you need to be careful around him Jo.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CheshireCatmember
51 posts

Posted:
umm...i dont think my fluff is blue..i think its a guy thing =) i believe that it is because belly buttons are our connection to our mother and mothers usually do the shopping at the grocery store where they buy milk, which goes well with cookies which usually contain flour which is a homonym with flower and flowers smell nice and so does perfume and girls mainly wear perfume and ditzy girls enjoy listening to music by that band Blue. *breathes* or at least that's how i always explained it...

It aint broke...It just lacks large amounts of duct-tape!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i think he was implying that bellybutton fluff comes from pants (both under and outer varieties)

which is just stupid because everyone knows that bellybutton fluff is ectoplasmic residue from eight-dimensional ghost worms

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
my belly button fluff is normally pink, but then im always wearing pink clothes and underwear so its pretty much impossible for it to be blue

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
no.

its because you're a girl and the eight-dimensional ghost worms leave blue ectoplasmic fluff residue in gentlemens bellybuttons and pink ectoplasmic fluff in girls bellybuttons.

They're kind of stuffily traditional like that.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
#Question 1
Celeron is a Pentium, but a budget version...

I'd say it depends on what you want to use your PC for - I know many gamers swear by AMD. Mind you, many gamers swear AT their chips too
P4's are awesome chips, Athlons are good and a bit cheaper, but personally I'd go for a Pentium chipset over an AMD. If you're building your PC, don't forget that your chip-type affects which motherboards etc you can buy too.

#Question 2
Because blue clothes are fluffier than white ones

Perhaps

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
This is Josh - too slack to change login

Athlon provides consistently better bang for buck than Pentium. I've been using one for 2 years, and havent had a problem with it.

Josh

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Bellybutton Lint - The Hole Story

https://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/lint/default.htm

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

chilipeppermember
85 posts

Posted:
WOW! who would have thought that there would be website dedicated to bbl!!! Cheers for sharing that...

ChIlI pEpPeR

High Class Hippy #5'One day i WILL own a VW Campervan''i'll sell a liver, u can live with just one, cant u?'Jebus...Jebus

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
athlon xp, much much better value for money. Amd used to make chips designed by intel under liscence, but then branched off and started making their own about 10 years ago. Mhz wise althon xp chips are slower than P4 (the XP model number is a PR stunt, ie 2000 is not 2ghz (more like 1.6 iirc)), but they do perform well.

You can forget about celeron straight away, they are the equivellent of AMD Durons, ie P3 with less cache.

500 is more than enough to build a nice XP machine.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
according to festinger's 1954 social comparison theory people need to obtain a positive evaluation of themselves compared to others and thus only look at the characteristics of their group which are superior to other groups,
this means that you should probably go for the pentium chip, cos they think the world of themselves, and thus are probably right because they judge themselves on capability and think that they are the best in this. Of course, they could be wrong in their judgement of what makes a chip better in a prime example of ross et al's 1977 false consensus effect where they see their own behaviour as normal and others as different and thus negative.

According to Tajfel et al's 79 social identity theory you have blue fluff because you put it there and are bragging about it because you wan't to be part of the in-group of people with blue fluff in their belly buttons and are thus trying to make it sound "cool" to have blue fluff in one's belly button to provide a shining example of normative and cohesive group behaviour in an intergroup situation.

Then again...

A developmental approach would suggest that fluff-in-da-bb is an effect of rearing environment whereby the facilitation of having a belly button means that you have the capability of having BFIDBB and experience of others with BFIDBB means you have developed blue fluff through induction.
And by that same logic, the mere existence of a single component to a computer system such as a chip implies the modularity of computers, although one has to question that because a computer as a whole wouldn't really work without a chip, thus it isn't really modular as the remaining circuit boards cannot function independently as such. Not that this tells you much about which chip to choose.

And I shall now go to bed, as my brain hurts from so much cramming

Ben

PS did you hoppers know that a rat brain during its first postnatal month develops neural connections at an astonishing rate of 250,000 per second...
just thought you should all know that.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm mhz for mhz, Athlon is faster. The naming scheme however (eg Athlon XP 3200+) can be misleading. The Athlon xp 3200+ doesnt run at a true 3200mhz, but supposedly it will perform equivalent to a 3200mhz p4.

best infos/reviews are here;

www.tomshardware.com

Josh

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
go for a MAC...they are so much better for graphics!

Blue, huh? I'm gonna make you a tie-dyed t-shirt so you can have every flavor of the rainbow coming out of your navel! haha

oh, and I just ordered 5 belly button glow lites for Burning Man!

The experience of learning is living.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the advice.

On a budget, I'm all for Athlon - like most of you. If I had an extra £200 I'ld go for pentium though I think...

The belly button answers have been very informative too - thanks very much. King of Bongo, you have too much time on your hands .

I think Glass may be right though. I do like a good blue pair of pants. Mmmmmmm...

Jo.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heh heh luv the site, plantgrill!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
go for a MAC...they are so much better for graphics!

no really, that's pretty funny

If you want a seriously hardcore graphics machine then get an SGI workstation. They retail at about 30,000 pounds a piece, but you can get ones a few years old for under a grand. The one i've got cost me 450 pounds and the same model has been used in Lord of the Rings, Monsters inc, Hollow man, Final Fantasy etc. No good for writting essays on thou, use 850watts and produce more heat than my radiator.

If i had 200 extra to burn i wouldn't spend it on a pentium, it's really not worth the extra. I also wouldn't recomend you spend more than 80 quid on a cpu (100 max) - they depreciate in value so fast that in a few months time ones costing 150 now will be 75. Unless you plan on playing serious amounts of games, an xp2000 with 512mb pc2700 ddr, a 50 quid asus mobo and geforce4 mx will run win xp pro very smoothly. I've personally never spent over 500 on a machine, very few people who spend more (assuming they arn't getting ripped off/buying from a highstreet store) actually make use of the extra power they have until 6 months later when the price has substatially dropped anyway.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yea. I built this beast (!!!!) 6 months back
Went for athlon by choice.
and win 2k its stable as a rock
tried later windows and keep going back to 2K
built a badass mc for 650
(ex monitor and keyboard)
try www.dabs.com
/end nerd mode

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
jo if your buying goin here dude.... a shop cheap as for latest stuff. their in sheffield too.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
one word of warning about ebuyer is that their "blow out deals" section is all stuff that's been returned cause its faulty. They have too few staff to test everything which is sent back and as a result you pay a few quid less for something which you have to return (at your own cost).

I use ebuyer a lot, but i have had to send back 4 faulty/damaged things so far, the latest of which went in the post about an hour ago

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Daddy..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the link PK.

I use www.cclcomputers.co.uk

Best new prices in the north of England (according to my friends who build more often). They're really decent with returns too - they don't insist on keeping the part for a week to test it (or to discourage you from returning it)... they usually take your word for it and replace it on the spot.

Jo.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont have a link for this one but its an edinburgh company who i have been told are very cheap and very reliable and they are called SILICON they have a store on leith walk and come highly recomended.