I've made a set of LED poi that are incredibly bright. Check'em out:

Link Here.

peace,
Bodhijuan

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
look pretty bright, whens the contact staff coming out?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

rekcirednosBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
yeah, they're blinding. :0)

I just made the one set. People have asked me to sell them but I don't think I have the time to work on it. I'm sure someone else will come out with something that is for sale.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
The Mk III polar-lights had 4x3W prolights in each poi for a total of 24W. They've been disassembled to make the Mk IVs though, which will only have 3x3W per poi.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*waits for the comparisons (regarding brightness) to be made to a certain "hyper" product* biggrin

ubbrollsmile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
If you can heardly look at them in day light how do you manage at night?

How long do the batteries last. Can i see a video of them please?

rekcirednosBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
At night they more or less hurt to look at. After about an hour the brightness is noticeably diminished, but they still look great.

The key to their brightness is the fact that they give off all of their energy from just two tiny points, which really burn. If the same amount of energy was spread evenly around the poi it wouldn't be the same effect.

These things make clear tracers in a dark space, without chemical enhancement. :0)

If anyone wants to make their own let me know. I can point you to a source for the LED elements and the construction is very simple, if you have a soldering iron. Quite literally, anyone can make a set of these, or put them onto a staff. Took me 15 minutes.

I think the parts cost would be around $20. (plus electrical tape :0)

Making/marketing/selling them could be a cool little business for someone out there who is motivated.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Cant you just put more than 2 of the LEDs on each poi/staff. Maybe 20 or something?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I love modest people wink

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well each of my HyperLights has a 3W LED in it, so depending on how well those HarvaLEDs are being driven, they could be ~3x brighter.

I'm guessing they're just hooked up to some batteries (what do you use?) with some current limiting resistors?

Cake or Death?

rekcirednosBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
A lot of people have shown interest in these. I frankly don't have the time to start making them for people, as I already have a day job and my free time is more or less of a commodity at this point. For the last 10 years I've designed stage lighting equipment for pro rock tours, Broadway and whatnot. I'm just not that interested in starting a poi business.

Believe it or not they're very easy to make. (yes... blue LED's are also available, but they're not as bright as the red ones.. still really bright though)

What I am going to do is write a blog post that shows, step by step, how to make your own. I'll also try to find an easy source for the actual LED elements.

It'll take me a week or so to get to writing the tutorial. I'll post here when it is done.

with metta,
Bodhijuan
www.nprophet.com

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking of branching into LED and UV performance stuff mainly for indoor shows & events. These toys you speak of rekcirednos sound great! smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
If you're performing, what you really want is Hyperlights wink Not long to go now either!

Cake or Death?

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Heh heh heh... weavesmiley

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
A tutorial sounds great. What would the battery life be though? £15 for the components and to make sounds great though

AtomicDreamnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
That is beautifull.