Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
Hey there-

I just started to take Capoeira classes and am hoping to use some of what I'm learning with my fire dancing. I was wondering if anyone else here plays Capoeira and combines it with fire dancing at all?

It's really fun to learn, but boy am I sore!!!

-Cheryl

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
it does as it seems

¿

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
I've been playing capoeira with the Quilombo group in San Diego since March (although I've also studied Kung Fu for two years). And I have been working on incorporating some of the moves with poi. The ginga combined with the weave, just like when you play, can always break up the monotony of staying in one place. Since I'm neither an expert fire spinner nor expert capoeirista yet, I find it difficult sometimes to produce the moves I visualize. I've got a couple ideas for armadas, and definitely for the parafuso and au sem mao (aerial cartwheel), but I've got a lot of practice to do before those get really smooth even without the poi. If someone could pull off a piao de cabeua (headspin) I'm sure that would look sweet with fire, arms fully extended. Have you had any success with any of these so far??

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
bluecat plays.
we also have loads in our fire show refractions too for those that have seen!

fire capoeira??? now thats fun.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
fire torches or the unscrewed ends of the innercore staves make fire maculele.
angola movements the (most beautiful IMHO) require too much hand contact with the grounds for me to do doublestix.
I can Au sem mao with poi, but only with the poi spinning sideways. The folha secca (two steps and a flash kick) and mariposa (butterfly twist) would be the show stoppers with fire!
Importantly, I'm really bad at singing capoeira, nor do i have a decent portugese accent!
Going to Capoeira school teaches a fire twirler the difference between a solo performance and interacting with your opponent in a Roda.
For example, sometimes we get new students who 'learn' from the internet, (you can tell cus they pronounce the moves the way they're misspelt on the 'net) they perform the floreo with no aim at all - like a parafuso (tornado kick) pointed to the wall instead of toward the opponent. They don't even look at their opponents (a great big no no) when they go into their movements!!

Capoeira does, however, redefine firetwirling duels
Eddie Gordo wins!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Beribazu rules ok?!
just thought I'd show some support for the local club (Bristol based- naturally coming from Braz of course!)

Haven't actually got any playing skills good/natural enough in capoeira to actually combine the two, but I specifically joined the group to learn some funky moves to incorporate into my firedancing skills (and then found I liked it for its own sake). One my flatmate does quite coolly is a one-armed cartwheel whilst spinning a staff- looks amazing.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
I'm glad to hear that people are combining these 2 arts! I've only been doing it for a month and really don't have any acrobatic experience, so the one handed cartwheels (and no handed cartwheels for that matter) are a little ways off for me!

Once I get better at some of the kicks, I'm going to try using some of those with the poi.

-Cheryl

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
I tried to get au sem mao for a long time, tried out of windmill and corkscrew, found the timing wasn't right with regular chains. I was finally successful with shortened chains. Now I shorten my chains at some point in a routine and do the more acrobatic stuff, then switch back.

I agree with bender. Mariposa would blow people's feeble minds. One more reason to start training again. Our mestre left a couple of years ago, so there are just casual rodas here now. Axé Brazil was our school here in Halifax.

I'd love to play sometime with another pyro capoeirista and have wicking on our feet and hands. Anyone tried this?

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you missed my point about fire capoeira.
i'm not talking about swinging toys around that would be logical.
rob has some "stuff" he calls it "wick" and "something he made from leather and metal" and puts it on himself and then sets himself on fire like a "burning man" then does the capoeira. we use it in our show.
looks tasty too.
if your playing and swinging toys round at the same time that wouldnt look as good.

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Trait Of 1112™:
rob has some "stuff" he calls it "wick" and "something he made from leather and metal" and puts it on himself and then sets himself on fire like a "burning man" then does the capoeira. we use it in our show.
looks tasty too.

omg that's ace! so how do i join the te pooka fan club?!?! where on his body are the flames? his extremities? his head? his ovaries?
refractions sounds better n better the more i hear aboot it!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
not my ovaries. i leave them bare

arms and legs. sometimes head(gives a mean cabecada )

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
Wow...I'm trying to picture someone playing Capoeira with fire strapped to their body. That must look awesome!

On a non-fire note...I just got home from Capoeira class and I must say that I'm getting much better looking at my partner in the eye while doing some of the moves, especially the au (I think that's how you spell it...the cartwheel).

This weekend I'm going to a Batizado Should be fun and a good learning experience!

-Cheryl

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
cool.

i hope you enjoy it hugely.

my old group is having one this weekend but i have three gigs so am unable to go(haven't been training that much recently anyway).

one reallyreallyreally important tip nobody told me: remember to breathe in cartwheels, headstands, handstands....anything upside down really. i mean it. try a handstand and think really hard about breathing. the first time i did this i stayed up for about 30 seconds. as opposed to about 5.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ive got some video of a dude doing breakdancing with poi - its a bit similar?

I want to learn Capoeria when I get back to Aus.

josh

6,978 posts

Posted:
josh mate, would love to play with ya!
i still can't sing tho

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont think he is asking for miricles bender!

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
Our Batizado is in July, it will be my first one, I hope I will receive my corda (must train, must train...) I'm psyched to hear that some people here play. We'll have to start having rodas at some get togethers. And some fire capoeira sounds sweet. I'm trying to write a couple of my own Capoeira songs, and it is really tough, considering I don't know Portuguese. So, I have to keep having my lyrics translated then told whether or not it fits properly and change accordingly. I love playing the berimbau, but I tend to stay away from the atabaque, I lose the beat real quick when we start playing "Adeus, Adeus". If anybody is ever in the San Diego area, please e-mail me at phoenix471 -at- yahoo.
We will have to get together and play. Anyone else doing maculele or samba/ samba de roda??

~ciao~

Agua

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I reckon Wicks on the shoes and wicks on the hands would look amazing with two good Capoeira players...

Josh

6,978 posts

Posted:
I think two capoeiristas on my wicks would look painful

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
I've never seen Maculele, so don't know what it is. However at the Batizado this weekend there is a Maculele workshop. Will my poi experience give me an advantage?

-Cheryl

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
goddamm i wish i was fit and strong and energetic enough to do that shit...my god its sooooooooooooo damm sexy

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
Maculele is a rhythmic dance that the slaves used to do using ripened sugar cane or machetes. Like Capoeira is was disguised as music to hide the lethal techniques that were being taught. There are some legends of maculele fighters protecting villages from raiders and what not.

Well, if you have rhythm, maculele should be easier for you. And you can do some things like the weave or big movements and jumping around and stuff like that, as long as you stay on beat. Our group performed maculele for the first time a couple thursdays ago. It was a lot of fun Let me know how the workshop goes.

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
Tonight it's a Brazilian music and samba class co-taught by my Capoeira teacher and a woman from Brazil. She is supposed to be amazing at samba!

I'll look forward to checking out the Maculele. Also I'm sure that I will see some amazing Capoeira over the next couple of days.

And I'm fire dancing at the post-Batizado party It will be interesting to see if there are any other fire dancing Capoeiristas!

-Cheryl

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I do a few of the foot work (jinga?) techniques and a few spin kicks while twirling poi or staff, some of it is often mistaken for capoiera (although I realy just stole the foot work from eddie gordo, and the kicks come from standard martial arts origins). that is about as far as I go, besides a one handed cartwheel ocationaly. I don't count tumbling as capoiera though....is it?

I wish my body wasn't all semi-permanently damaged and weak, I would love to be able to full blown capoiera technique. I do love capoiera nuts though, they taste just like chicken. Still can't sing to good most of the time though.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
When I was at the Batizado this past weekend, I was playing around with this guy in my class. I had poi and he was doing some Capoeira moves and we were dancing around each other. It was fun!

I can imagine having 2 people with poi dancing around each other and avoiding each other's poi like when you are playing Capoeira. Hmmm something fun to explore!

-Cheryl

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Digging up an old thread here, but anyway. I'm about to start capoeira and was wondering if anyone else here still plays. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
Maybe I should learn, being half brazillian and all, it would be cool to learn more about my culture.

Though, doubt there's any classes all the way down here in Cornwall?

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Ok, went to my first lesson tonight, and was taught how to do the cartwheel type moves, good fun but somewhat sore. :P

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars