Forums > Social Discussion > Burning Man burnt four days earlier by arsonist

Login/Join to Participate

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
Forbid me if there is already a thread, but I just heard:

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070829/ap_on_re_us/burning_man_burned

I'm shocked. It's so devastating. It just won't be the same without the elaborate man. But thank god to the engineers for being able to make a new one in time.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
wow.. thats a bit selfish on that guys part.. but i agree.. go the engineers smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Holy crap. Thats poo and selfish

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I have two friends going to burning man for the first time. they will be pissed off frown

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
why would someone do that seems a very odd thing to do? was it definatly arson or could it have been an accident?

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Awww man, that really sucks.

I wonder if these guys had anything to do with it: https://www.stopburningman.org/

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Maybe it was someone trying to be artistic?

smile

No doubt they'll rebuild it and Saturday night will be even more of a celebration...

Getting to the other side smile

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
They caught the man I believe. It's in the article. He said it had to do with the eclipse.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Ouch...

I've got a bunch of friends located at 4:30 and C, so I'll hear all about it multiple times over. I was supposed to go there myself but it didn't work out.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Man... What kind of lowlife goes and does something like that!? umm

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Honestly, I find it humorous. I've been and wasn't impressed and the friends that I have that were there aren't broken up about it at all. They are just happy they get to see stuff burn. They find it stupid to get worked up over and a dumb action on the part of the guy but they are finding the humor in it.

The eclipse was really wicked that night, and evidentally the best place to see it was the west coast. A statement was released that it was some "artistic statement" about bringing light to the world in a time of darkness. I dunno how true it is though.

I am also surprised it hasn't happened before now, truth be told.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Honestly, I find it humorous.

I'm sure if somebody burned your art you would NOT find it humorous. In fact, I'd nominate you for "least likely to find it humorous if somebody burned their art." In fact, I can't even imagine the size of the thread you would write on HoP if somebody burned your art.

And, if somebody posted that they found it HUMOROUS... well, I'd pay to see that asskicking. wink

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Crap. My post seems all bitter and mean when it was supposed to be light and silly.

Oh yeah. The internet.

Nevermind. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm saddened about it.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
https://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/08/man-hangs-self-.html

Written by:

For the first time in 21 years of Burning Man, a Burner has committed suicide, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

A man was found hanging inside a two-story-high tent this morning, said the federal Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the festival on the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada. The man's identity has not been released pending notification of his family.

He dangled for two hours before anyone in the big tent thought to bring him down, said Mark Pirtle, special agent in charge.

"His friends thought he was doing an art piece," he said.

So far, an estimated 36,000 people have arrived at the gathering, with 46,000 expected by the time things end Saturday with the burning of a 40-foot-tall wooden man. Earlier this week, a participant set the structure ablaze and was charged with arson. Burning Man organizers say the man will be rebuilt in time for the official burn.

seems like this years BM didn't go too well

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know what? It was fine.

Really. It was kinda a not-so-perfect year.

But it was fine.

Even without the Man.

We managed to show that even with two suicides and a pre-burnt man...we still made it happen.

The rumors of the Man's death are greatly exaggerated.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
https://tribes.tribe.net/pauladdisformayor

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Honestly, I find it humorous. I've been and wasn't impressed and the friends that I have that were there aren't broken up about it at all. They are just happy they get to see stuff burn. They find it stupid to get worked up over and a dumb action on the part of the guy but they are finding the humor in it.

The eclipse was really wicked that night, and evidentally the best place to see it was the west coast. A statement was released that it was some "artistic statement" about bringing light to the world in a time of darkness. I dunno how true it is though.

I am also surprised it hasn't happened before now, truth be told.

Yeh i think it's pretty funny too TBH. Besides, if things always went perfectly to plan, year after year, doesn't this seem a bit rigid and lifeless?

LadyChaos772BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
I went to Burning Man this year (my 2nd Burn) and it was shocking to find out that it burned early this year but after the shock wore off, it was actually kinda funny that someone had done it. People have been trying for years I believe to burn it early. The story is that the guy was from San Francisco and was protesting how corporate Burning Man was becoming and climbed above the pyrotechnics and set off a flare and lit it up. The ABC story says 80% of the man burned before they could stop it. They spent most of the week rebuilding it and the burn went fine on Saturday. This year was a year of many firsts: first suicide, first DOUBLE RAINBOW (it rained this year a bit, just sprinkling for about half an hour perhaps) and first early burn? But that is what makes Burning Man great, the best adventures are the side adventures that arise accidentally.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ya my friend weas on the re-build team and his BM got ruined cuz of this guy. But 3 months of work in 3 days is not too shabby.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!