Forums > Technical Discussion > Is chemically-treated hair more likely to catch fire?

Login/Join to Participate

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I recently dyed my hair black and this is the first time I've dyed it since I started lighting up. Black hairdye takes a while to completely wash out of my hair, usually about a week and a half to two weeks of slightly bluish tinted shower runoff. Does anybody know if my hair is more likely to light when it it still having chemical residue oozing out of it? I'm smart enough to use light to no hairspray when I go to light up or to wet it all down a little, but do I need approach hairdye like it was hairspray and treat it with simmilar caution?

Oh yeah, and I'm really not a fan of the head-covering thing. I own a pretty blue and gold one but in order for it to look good my hair has to be down, which means it's still out there to light and thus makes the headcovering pointless...so I just go without and opt for a french braid or a bun.

So does anybody know my chemical status?

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

DeempjeSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
You could wear a hooded sweater and put your hair in the back, a friend of mine does that all the time.
Don't know if dyed hair catches fire more quickly though

Well how about that...

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
I don't think hair dye makes you any more flammable. I've never caught my head on fire anyway, and I regularly use both dye and gel (actually the gel's water based, so it might even make me less flammable).

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I don't know about it makeing it more flamable. But some times dying your hair can make it more dry or frizzy so make sure you are aware of where it is.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Oh, that's a point. Frizzy hair would be more flammable...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I imagine dark hair dye would be much less likely to catch fire than blond hair dye with hydrogen peroxide.

But I really have no idea, just be sensible, I don't think you have any more to worry about than normal.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FelixwahSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
From experience hairspray catches on fire so if you use that be careful. i used to have a nice mohawk frown

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Oh, no way man! That sucks...