MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This is one translation of the original Hippocratic Oath:

Written by: Hippocrates

I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.

I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.

If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Interesting points in this oath:
1) Although Hippocrates strongly stated in his writings that there was no supernatural cause for any disease, the oath is sworn on Apollo, Asclepius, Hygenia, and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses. What does this mean?

2) The original oath prohibits surgery: "I will not use the knife..." as that was the job of a surgeon, not a physician (which is why surgeons in the U.K. are "Mr." or "Ms."

3) That I owe my professors money if they need it and to regard my professors' kids as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach it to them for free. (Second clause)

4) That euthanasia and abortion are prhohibited "I will neither give a deadly drug.... I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy"

We had a discussion today about our respective oaths. Here is the one I took when I graduated medical school.

Written by: The University of Michigan Medical School Version

I do solemnly swear by that which I hold most sacred:

That I will be loyal to the profession of medicine and just and generous
to its members;

That I will share the knowledge and skills which I have received with my
colleagues and with future generations of physicians;

That I will lead my life and practice my art in uprightness and honor;

That into whatsoever house I shall enter, it shall be for the good of the sick to
the utmost of my power; I holding myself aloof from wrong, from corruption,
from the tempting of others to vice;

That I will exercise my art solely for the good of my patients, and will give
no drug, perform no operation for a criminal purpose, even if solicited, far less suggest it;

That whatsoever I shall see or hear of the lives of patients which is not
fitting to be spoken, I will keep inviolably secret;

These things I do promise and in proportion as I am faithful to this my oath may
happiness and good repute be ever mine --- the opposite if I shall be forsworn."

1) One swears by a non-descript concept, rather than on any one specific thing.

2) Surgeons are now physicians, hence no prohibition.

3) There is no prohibition on either euthanasia or abortion.

4) There is a responsibility to teach my art. But that's it. No other debts owed.

Here's another modern one:

Written by: The Declaration of Geneva

At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession:

I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;

I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;

I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;

The health of my patient will be my first consideration;

I will respect the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;

I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;

My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;

I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;

I will maintain the utmost respect for human life;

I will not use my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;

I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

Seen any others you like? What do you like about them? Which do you want your doctor to have taken?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
yours sounds the best. the last one seems just a tad bit obsessive

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Flippant comment from me is
Do we need a HOPpocratic oath when we join here.
1. To spread the spinning word
2. To teach
3 To buy Malclom an icecream

Ive never had cause to think about the Hippocratic oath. Food for thought.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
mmmm icecream....

if i could be a busy busy bee...

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
lol thats an awsome idea we should definatly have a HOPpocratic oath

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lizzybeth

mmmm icecream....

We had a really nice time writing our wedding vows. But we definitely should have put "ice cream" it them. wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]