Forums > Social Discussion > Please Help! Segregation-era Racism in Jena, Louisiana, USA

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Recently I heard a story on NPR that got me all riled up. I just found out about this online effort to help those being mistreated by the judicial system. The story is below with links for you add your voice to protest of injustice.

https://www.colorofchange.org/jena/?id=2153-237042

Last fall in Jena, the day after two Black high school students sat

beneath the "white tree" on their campus, nooses were hung from the

tree. When the superintendent dismissed the nooses as a "prank," more

Black students sat under the tree in protest. The District Attorney

then came to the school accompanied by the town's police and demanded

that the students end their protest, telling them, "I can be your best

friend or your worst enemy... I can take away your lives with a stroke

of my pen."

A series of white-on-black incidents of violence followed, and the DA

did nothing. But when a white student was beaten up in a schoolyard

fight, the DA responded by charging six black students with attempted

murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

It's a story that reads like one from the Jim Crow era, when judges,

lawyers and all-white juries used the justice system to keep blacks in

"their place." But it's happening today. The families of these young

men are fighting back, but the story has gotten minimal press.

Together, we can make sure their story is told and that the Governor

of Louisiana intervenes and provides justice for the Jena 6. It starts

now. Please join me:

The noose-hanging incident and the DA's visit to the school set the

stage for everything that followed. Racial tension escalated over the

next couple of months, and on November 30, the main academic building of

Jena High School was burned down in an unsolved fire. Later the same

weekend, a black student was beaten up by white students at a party.

The next day, black students at a convenience store were threatened by a

young white man with a shotgun. They wrestled the gun from him and ran

away. While no charges were filed against the white man, the students

were later arrested for the theft of the gun.

That Monday at school, a white student, who had been a vocal supporter

of the students who hung the nooses, taunted the black student who was

beaten up at the off-campus party and allegedly called several black

students "nigger." After lunch, he was knocked down, punched and

kicked by black students. He was taken to the hospital, but was

released and was well enough to go to a social event that evening.

Six Black Jena High students, Robert Bailey (17), Theo Shaw (17),

Carwin Jones (18), Bryant Purvis (17), Mychal Bell (16) and an

unidentified minor, were expelled from school, arrested and charged

with second-degree attempted murder. The first trial ended last

month, and Mychal Bell, who has been in prison since December, was

convicted of aggravated battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated

battery (both felonies) by an all-white jury in a trial where his

public defender called no witnesses. During his trial, Mychal's

parents were ordered not to speak to the media and the court

prohibited protests from taking place near the courtroom or where the

judge could see them.

Mychal is scheduled to be sentenced on July 31st, and could go to jail

for 22 years. Theo Shaw's trial is next. He will finally make bail

this week.

The Jena Six are lucky to have parents and loved ones who are fighting

tooth and nail to free them. They have been threatened but they are

standing strong. We know that if the families have to go it alone,

their sons will be a long time coming home. But if we act now, we can

make a difference.

Join me in demanding that Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco get

involved to make sure that justice is served for Mychal Bell, and that

DA Reed Walters drop the charges against the 5 boys who have not yet

gone to trial.

Thanks.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
thats farked up....humanity never ceases to amaze...:(

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
thats some crazy stuff.

:/

reads like something from the 50s.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
I know. As I was listening to the story on the radio I couldn't believe it. And then it just kept getting more and more horribly ridiculous. Hopefully there will be enough of an outcry to make a difference.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
I cant say i'm surprised. If anyone seriously thinks that White america cares for anything rather than the complete dominace of white america then they are living in a fantasy world.

Just my opinion!!

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
These attitudes make me not want to travel, cause I look white

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Faith...don't even THINK about letting your apperance limit your desires to travel.

3,556 posts

Posted:
With attitudes like that, ugh

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Here's a little follow up to this story.

What do you figure, the media got it right the first time and this is just spin ?

https://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1024/p09s01-coop.html?page=1

Or was the media just looking for something to sensationalise in order to sell more papers?

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
now, I really have to jump in and play devils advocate here.. but let me first say that I don't advocate racism on any level.

I think stouts brings up some important issues, there is after all *always* another side to the story. If the DA is distorting charges than that is indeed bad, but if those 6 really did get in a fight with anyone regardless of who was what race, they shouldn't be fighting the charges, they need to accept responsibility for their actions.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Stout, I’d say the media got it right the first time, and question the motivation of your source publication.

Without going into a whole lot of detail, I find it difficult to believe that in Louisiana, USA “The committee further concluded that the three young teens had no knowledge that nooses symbolize the terrible legacy of the lynchings of countless blacks in American history”.

Cheers

Lurch, I was just about to post. I suspect Stout is playing devils advocate.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

3,556 posts

Posted:
As is said, there are three sides to the truth. What you see as the truth, what I see as the truth, and what is the truth

Faith

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I think he is too, but regardless hanging a noose from a tree does not constitute a hate crime. And while it may be racist, it is probably perfectly legal, and doesn't condone a beating.

I could hang a giant 'White Power' sign in my window if I really wanted to, that doesn't mean someone is allowed to attack me

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Stone...I'm not playing devil's advocate here, although I quite often do, but more doing follow up. The CS Monitor is one of those papers I scan through every morning along with my extreme right wing, and extreme left wing media sources.

Followup is good...no ?

Heck, I'm even planning on bumping the Conservapedia thread in a few months so we can all see whether our predictions and opinions about that manifested themselves. I haven't looked at that site in quite a while but my suspicions held that their writers are going to be more concerned with doing damage control, or fixing vandalism,( hello...Jeff ) than actually growing and promoting the site.

After the initial hype of a story or issue has died down, I find it interesting to see what ever became of that issue. For instance, this story references the Duke lacrosse story. Big hype there,, and then ?

Stone...are you basing your view that the high school students didn't understand the symbolism behind the nooses on a ....*wince*...stereotype ?

Lurch, the noose from a tree could be considered a hate crime, at least in Canada. The boys say they were motivated by an episode of Lonesome Dove, a show I've never seen, and in theory, if that episode showed using a noose as a way of terrorising black people then there may be a case for a hate crime.

Faith..I'm more concerned with what is the truth. If it was racism, then it's racism, if it's not then it's not. It doesn't really affect me, I don't live in Jena, Louisiana.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Hanging a noose from a tree is not really a crime. It's distasteful, and possibly racist, but if it's not a crime it can't be a hate crime.

Like I said, they have a right to say whatever horrible distasteful things they want to say, that doesn't give anyone the right to enact physical violence on them. Which is why the police *protect* the white supremacists when they have their rallies. Complete with nooses and swastikas and everything else stereotypically associated with racism.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*lurking mode off*

Faith: The truth is... and there is only one, but myriad ways of looking at it. You don't travel because you're a white female USAmerican? umm shrug what to say... media propaganda works (on you)

Lurch, if I would walk into a Hells Angels bar and call all of them "c*ck sucking retarded ***", it would not give them the right to kick the living crap out of me - but the lack of said right would not stop them from doing so. Having said this: if a violent act would be be preceded by the victim *asking* for trouble... Hang on, did you ever mention anything anywhere about "someone deserving to die" simply because he was carrying a gun, whilst approaching someone elses' porch? umm

What are these double standards in approaching a subject of violent crime?

If one German national was to vandalize a jewish graveyard in Germany it's a hate crime, now if the same subject commit the same action on a graveyard without any explicit racial or religious background it would not be considered a hate crime...

The Jena incident clearly shows one thing: USA today still has significant racial issues. Any which way the story is looked at (the initial report is true, the media blows the incidents out of proportion and gets away with it, or the story needs to get covered up in the aftermath). IMO the world ain't just "black and/or white" - it's greyscale. Meaning that the truth might lay in between all the presented versions. The only important thing (for me) is: what conclusion am I drawing from all this and will I let this affect me in my views of Northern Americans?

Personally I have to say that it won't, simply because I am aware that the US still *has* (racial) issues and that generally people are people (not) depending on their racial, social, cultural, educational, financial, sexual or martial background... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
You're mixing issues FireTom, there are no double standards.

Before you can use force to defend yourself you must first try to remove yourself from the situation in most cases. If that fails, in order to defend yourself with deadly force the 'aggressor' needs to have the ability the opportunity and the intent to cause you grievous bodily harm or death.

If someone approaches me with a weapon threatening me harm I have every right to defend myself. If someone says something mean to me and I most certainly do not have the right to attack him with 5 of my friends and send him to the hospital. In fact, if the boy being attacked had defended himself it probably would have been perfectly justifiable.

I've never condoned violent crime FireTom, I've been very specific about that. You could walk into a HA bar and say that, and you probably would get the living crap kicked out of you, that doesn't change the fact that what you did, was NOT a crime, and what they did WAS a crime.

Those laws need to apply to everyone, if 6 white men attacked a black man because he was black, that is a hate crime. If 6 black men attack a white man because he's white, why is that not a hate crime? Him being a racist is not justification for violence

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I really think it's a serious error to make any kind of judgement on this one since we're privvy to so few of the details, and the sources are so unreliable. With a little luck there'll be a decent follow-up so we can get some facts, but at this stage it's just a he-said she-said situation.

Written by: Stout

Heck, I'm even planning on bumping the Conservapedia thread in a few months so we can all see whether our predictions and opinions about that manifested themselves. I haven't looked at that site in quite a while but my suspicions held that their writers are going to be more concerned with doing damage control, or fixing vandalism,( hello...Jeff ) than actually growing and promoting the site.

FYI, you're exactly right. Virtually every account is now blocked and most of the important pages are permanently locked. Most of the what I put it pales in camparison to what the "serious" stuff is. For one, they've decided that Richard Dawkins isn't really a proffessor, Fred Phelps is a liberal and Relativity is an evil liberal lie.

EDIT- For your consideration, Wikipedia has an article on the subject Jena six
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1193404398)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Stout, follow-up is good. I’ve had more time for research, and some of Mary Baker Eddy’s philosophy about Christian Science seems more like Buddhism than American right wing Christianity.

Perhaps there was a bit of stereotype in what I said earlier, but I do think I answered your question. Both you and Lurch raise a good point about symbolism; be it the hang man’s noose or the swastika. Like you say they are only symbols, and it’s us (people) making the symbols mean something that causes the violence. Another example that comes to mind is the publication of caricatures of Mohammed in 2005.

Dualism comes up a lot in these discussions. Personally, I prefer the Buddhist ideal of being skilled or unskilled in life, rather than the Judo-Christian idea of right/wrong, good/bad moral judgements.

So Lurch, if as you say, you don’t advocate racism on any level, then why are you supporting racism? For example, “ And while it may be racist, it is probably perfectly legal, and doesn't condone a beating”. “It's distasteful, and possibly racist, but if it's not a crime it can't be a hate crime.” “Like I said, they have a right to say whatever horrible distasteful things they want to say, that doesn't give anyone the right to enact physical violence on them.”

Like, Fire Tom said picking a fight with a Hells Angle is pretty unskilled, as is hanging a giant 'White Power' sign in your window. While, the law might protect someone from attacking you for your views, it’s a pretty unskilled action in that it causes division and provokes violence. Just because something is legal doesn’t necessarily make it right. And hey, don’t you think the kids that put up the hang man’s nooses need to accept responsibility for their actions?

faith, I like the idea that there are three sides to the truth. Though, learning how to overcome our stereotypes of people is difficult.

Fire Tom, lurking mode off, lol , that made my day wink Good point, the USA still has significant racial issues, as do all countries. Seeing the person, instead of the stereotype, is a good start.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Tom..I'm not seeing a double standard in what Lurch is saying..in one instance we're talking about a direct threat on someone's life, in the other, an insult. Big difference there.

You are right however about the grayscale..and that's what makes topic like this interesting. If you want black and white, you should see the response I got when i posted the CS Monitor story on a "progressive" message yesterday, just before I posted it in here. At least they haven't banned me...yet.

Jeff.... well said we only "know" what the media tells us, and given the fact that the media is a business with their number one goal of getting us to pay attention to them it's hard, if not impossible to discount bias in anything you read.

So Conservipedia is basically dead in the water ? I figured that would happen given their target audience was home schooled kids and no doubt the parents of those kids are wary of the overwhelmingly "liberal" internet. It would do much better in a print version. Are your "amendments" still up..like the one about aliens from outer space ? I'd look myself but I can't remember where that was and I'm too lazy to search the thread.

Thanks for that wiki link. BTW..I've been haunting James Randi's forums lately.

Stone...I just looked into Mary Baker Eddy. and I always assumed that the CS Monitor was a right wing Christian conservative paper, that is, until I started actually reading it.

In theory, it is conceivable that a bunch of 16 year olds might not understand the symbolism behind the nooses. I have no way of knowing for sure, and unfortunately I don't have any access to a group of 16 year olds that I could randomly poll ( IRL ) nor do I know what's being taught in history class in Louisiana.

Something I found interesting about the nooses.

From the wiki entry.

As of October 25, 2007, those who hung the nooses have never publicly stated the reasons behind their actions. A black teacher described seeing both white and black students "playing with [the nooses], pulling on them, jump-swinging from them, and putting their heads through them" that same day.[5] The Jena Times reported that the nooses were removed by 7:15 a.m. after school officials were informed.[10]

So a black teacher saw black students playing with the nooses...does this mean that the black students didn't understand the symbolism behind them ? Students playing with nooses at 7:15 am ??? yikes...what time does the school day start in Jena. Around here it's about 9:00 am. My guess is that black teacher saw those nooses and pulled them down the minute he did. Surprising he didn't take any photos.

Stone are you suggesting that using violence against someone, or something you find offensive is acceptable ? That the Muslims were justified in their reaction to the cartoons, including killing Dutch film maker Theo van Gogh ? That his murder should be attributed to his being "unskilled" in life in the views of those who killed him rather than a case of over reaction and sending a message of terror ?

Stone,, your right about all countries having racial/cultural issues and , indeed it's a "skilled" philosophy to look at the person rather than the stereotype. But suppose that person is presenting themself as a representative of that race/culture and demanding that you concede to their demands that are clearly in opposition to your race/culture ?
EDITED_BY: Stout (1193416889)

3,556 posts

Posted:
Seriously Tom?
I don't travel because I don't have money

Attitudes such as yours makes me not WANT to travel. And I am not soley a White US American.

Faith

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Stout, I suspect my previous post was confusing.

I never suggested violence against anyone was acceptable. I was replying to your question. “Stone...are you basing your view that the high school students didn't understand the symbolism behind the nooses on a ....*wince*...stereotype ?” The example of Muslims killing Dutch film maker Theo van Gogh over cartoons, was an example of the not so big difference between a insult and direct threat.

If you are in any doubt that the bunch of 16 year olds might not understand the symbolism behind the nooses, then ask their parents for their views.

Stout, I’m not sure what you mean with your question. “But suppose that person is presenting themself as a representative of that race/culture and demanding that you concede to their demands that are clearly in opposition to your race/culture ?”

Clearly that person is racist. Are you asking how the prevent racism?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Stout, just to clarify the bit about Dutch film maker Theo van Gogh. I think he was killed in 2004, for his “unskilled” and outspoken criticism of Muslims. The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons, another unskilled action, were published in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten on 30 September 2005. To be perfectly clear on this point, I am not in any way trying to justify retaliation killings.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Stone...I'd ask the parents, but I'm more interested in what the 16 year olds think and know about this issue. Whether they understood the gravity of the symbolism, or not. I know they sure do now.

I'm not asking how to prevent racism, assuming we're all working off the same definition of racism., you know, the one that doesn't give any credence to the term reverse racism.

We can expand on this idea later, but to apply it to this issue. Why do you suppose that the the black and white students were supposedly segregating themselves at Jena High school ? OK given the ratio of black/white is something like 15/85 % , do you think it's possible that the black students might have wanted to separate themselves due to cultural/race reasons.

Or is it the stereotypical southern racist mindset that's to blame here ?

Maybe it's a combination of both ?

I'm thinking this is 2007. we've had years of anti-racism education and sensitivity training through the media, sometimes at the office so it's conceivable that these kids themselves might not be as racially polarised as the media and activists are leading us to believe.

These kids could be viewed as unskilled, but they're only 16 so I prefer the term not yet skilled , or possibly not yet skilled. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

I don't know, like I said, I don't live in Louisiana.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I don't condone racism Stone, nor am I supporting it. I'm supporting someones right to believe whatever the heck they want to believe, no matter how convoluted it may be.

So yes, if the noose in a tree violated some law, than the boys should be held responsible, same for any previous violence. NONE of that changes, nor excuses the actions of the 6 beating up the one. Being racist or a bigot is not a hate crime Stone.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Lurch...my google-fu is weak today. I can't find anything useful about American federal hate crime laws online. Everything seems to concern hate crime legislation vs the First Amendment, but nothing on what the actual legislation is about.

For reference, here's the Canadian federal hate crime laws. I think they're well thought out and if we actually had a document like the First Amendment, I don't think these laws would violate it. Note the exemptions for truthfulness, and religious views.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/background/hatecrimes/

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
rereading some of the laws the noose *may* be a 'hate crime' but it would be difficult to argue as such since you would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was indeed hung here on the basis to intimidate or terrorize another race. It seems they already have reasonable doubt in that theory.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Stout, thanks for the link to Canadian federal hate crime laws. Good point about definitions. I’ll go with wiki “racism has many definitions, the most common and widely accepted being the belief that members of one race believe they are intrinsically superior or inferior to members of other races.” I’d suggest that would include reverse racism.

I was suggesting that kids get their education on things like racism from their parents. Sure, I get that some students might hang together due to cultural/race reasons. But then that doesn’t explain a “white’s only tree”.

Sure we’ve had years of anti-racism education and sensitivity training through many sources, and we don’t use certain words any more because they are perceived to be racist. But do you really think anything has changed, deep down? Jena gained international attention for alleged "new 'stealth' racism" that lives on in the United States.

I’m going with the stereotypical southern racist mindset, white supremacist backlash builds over Jena case. Until at least someone puts up a credible argument against the stereotype.

Lurch, I’m not condoning the beating, but I don’t think putting up nooses was a very smart thing to do either (see the Hells Angle example above) and it does appear to have racist intent.

Free speech is one thing, but inciting racism is another. I suggest, very strongly, that being racist or a bigot does leads to hate crimes. All you are really doing is supporting what is rapidly becoming known as 'stealth' racism. Remember Katrina?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I figure the hate crime laws would be hard to argue too, especially given the age of the defendants. Were it a group of adults dressed in full Klan regalia, then my opinion would differ.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I don't think I'm supporting any sort of racism. I have just as much right to say 'Jews are evil!' as you do to say 'Only Jesus will save your soul from hell!'

Everyone has the right to believe, and express themselves however they want. Whether I agree with their point of view or not. By saying that the 6 shouldn't be charged, or their charges should be reduced because of the noose does absolutely nothing to *help* the community, does it? Racism can go both ways, and if it's tolerated in one direction why not the other? That is a double standard.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Stone..I don't actually like the term reverse racism as it feel the word reverse somewhat diminishes, and excuses racist behaviour. We'll go with your wiki definition, I'm happy with that and I'm glad we're avoiding the more radical definition.

According to the CS Monitor article, the whites only tree is a media myth.

Speaking of media myths...stealth racism ??? I've never heard that term before. OK I just googled it, and it looks like an anti-conservative, liberal feel-good term, like reverse discrimination.

Interesting article though. Is Jena really that segregated ? I also find it interesting how they played up the whites only tree, and downplayed the assault. But hey..the BBC did send a reporter to Jena so the CS Monitor allegations that the media was drawing their news from blogs clearly doesn't apply here.

Errr, yea, white supremacists. Here's another issue I have no direct experience with. Just how prevalent is this school of thought in the southern US ? Are they a fringe group, or a little more mainstream?

Page: