Page:
FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
HOWDI smile
I need a holiday starting end of August sometime for a week.
After a full on Summer....and 2 years actually...and more than that thinking about it!!!
I have decided I need a holiday, not just somewhere exotic on the way to or from Europe/Oz - I always end up travelling and never resting
So I want to book a nice, warm, dry, not muddy, by the sea, in the nature, not too many people, not preformery, place!!!
Not to much to ask, but heres another bit - im single and as such travelling on my own.
Apparently travel agents dont 'DO' single people - bloody couples!!! so I cant get a last minute deal.
Therefore I was thinking maybe booking O/W flights leaving Edinburgh, flying back to Munich (gigs!) and booking my own hotels/self-catering
But it all gets abit complicated and my head hurts
Anyone offer any advice, good websites, BIG luxury villa not being used that I could rent for a € a day!!! Or anything else which would make my life easier and warmer!!! I was thinking Marocco
Thanks ya'll - i'll send y a postcard cool

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Isnt Yonis place by the sea?

Or go to Yallingup with a tent.

Busselton have chalets that is they were any closer to the sea they would be pontoons. Basic but have kitchens.

Might have to wait till a bit later in the year as its a bit chilly here still.

If you avoid us all we wont make you teach us, Jeds shoulder is out of action at the minute so you are safe from him as well.

What about Thailand?

OK so its nowhere near where wanted....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Im certainly wanting to come and see you guys again, ive been recomending all over the place. Teaching isnt gonna scare me off, thats a bonus. - but I may have work starting in October in NZ and im basically working upto then, so this next week is my only chance it seems
I think flying to Europe is better financialy and environmentally than Oz!!
Give Jed a healing hug from me
Peas out

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
I just got back from 2 weeks farting around cambodia and vietnam. Definitely worth considering if you want to pack alot in to a short time for extremely cheap.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I've just got back from South Africa, if you go around the Garden route its very very beautiful and amazing beaches as well as very cheap. Its really green around there, and lots of adventury stuff to do if that kind of thing takes your fancy. You can stay in backpackers. Its safe to go on your own (I did!)

Just bare in mind that its winter in the Southern Hemisphere right now!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
winter... bit like England right now then! lol

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Damned right. I imagine UberOz Winter wonderland is certainly sunnier than its been here!!
You went to Cambodia and Vietnam for only 2 weeks? I think i'd need more than 10 days - Cambodia's a lovely country heh? Havent been to Vietnam (only ocuntry in SE Asia I havent been to)
SA - would love to go there - but again would wanna spend longer
I think ive decided on Morocco - cheap and short time to get there and should be warm and VERY different culturally aswell as good beaches (but cold sea- apparently)
Anyone been? Im thinking Marrakesh for a few days then Essoauiri, where Hendrix and Marley used to hang out
Thanks for input

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Go to Mauritius and see Gary Brophys Circus Sunrise and do lariat stuff.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
thinking about saving up for a break in goa over xmass/ NYE

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Yeah Goa's a nice warm/full of Europeans place. Good for party's although ive heard theyve been closing them again (this happens more and more but changes form one year to the next.
I lived out there for a while - so if you need advice PM me
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireNix

Damned right. I imagine UberOz Winter wonderland is certainly sunnier than its been here!!

Not today it isn't. Pouring rain, but that is wonderful, we so need it! People finally getting their tanks full...
And the chances of it raining 2 weekends in a row in August are teeeeeensy so next weekend should be fine!

Morocco - cheap and short time to get there and should be warm and VERY different culturally as well as good beaches (but cold sea- apparently)

Not that different culturally in the cities... lots of French influence and they've been having tourists since the ancient Romans!
I have been to Essouira, and Marrakesh, and Fes, which is by far my favorite. I liked Essouira but it's not a place I would go to swim. Big Atlantic seas. Both it and Marrakesh are a bit flooded with the mass tourist thing now there are cheap tickets, though more cafes and stuff aimed at foreigners if that;'s what you're after.

I LOVE Fes the old imperial capital, it is more traditional, but not stuffy, friendly cool people and beautiful buildings etc. They are great craftspeople and proud to be more 'cultured' and less hassly than the Marrakshies. Great to wander round the old medina. I have some friends who own a house there and they are well connected with the network of people who rent rooms in stunning restored houses. They are journalists who do a blog called The View From Fes

Moroccan trains are cheap and good if you want to wander around a bit. There is a little town called Asilah up near Tangier that is supposed to be very chill and artsy interesting. (If you go on a long distance bus don't be surprised if they charge you for your luggage, even if it is on the top of the bus. I thought they were doing an Indian style rip off but I was WRONG and had to apologise to the conductor for being a stupid tourist rolleyes which got me a round of applause from the other passengers)

Another idea for a cheap holiday is Tarifa, a short ride from Tangier on the ferry, it is the southernmost tip of Spain, lots of surfers and windsurfers.

SO for an extended trip you could get a very cheap ticket to Algeciras, bus to Tarifa, ferry to Tangier, train through Alisah to Fes, fly back from there etc. But personally I would just go to Fes. Not for swimming though smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:

You went to Cambodia and Vietnam for only 2 weeks? I think i'd need more than 10 days - Cambodia's a lovely country heh? Havent been to Vietnam (only ocuntry in SE Asia I havent been to)

Yeah, my work gave me 5 free holiday days so I added a couple of mine to it and jumped on the first plane Vietnam. I spent about a couple of days in each city in Cambodia and Vietnam and a couple of days on the Mekong Delta. I'm definitely going back once my contract's up, I could spend months chilling out there and still spend less than a weekend in Tokyo.

Oh, and Vietnam's Happy hours are much better than Cambodia's. beerchug

7,193 posts

Posted:
yeah i heard the local police in goa are cracking down on the partys nix hug shame, but it seems to be the case in most places, czech republic, france, spain and italy not to mention this country ubblol

i was wanting to go out to a party this weekend for my birthday................glad i didn't!!!!!

people baricaded themdselves into a building, the rig was siezed, about 200 people laid siege to a police station riot styleee..................~NOT IN MY NAME~

i was also contemplating heading to heathrow's camp for climate but i hear they are hardline actavists, a couple of people i know have headed there and headed back, police are being complete t*wats, F.I.T. (forward inteligance teams) squads keep trying to breach the perimiter and harrass the squatters.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Ah a fellow Leo. I had my Birthday las week.
Hope you had a good time not getting arrested - always a bumber on your Birthday that one!!
Indeed the Police state is expanding its grip
But as they squeeze community bonds get stronger
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Oh and Gabe thanks for all the info
Thats a intersting idea of going down through Spain
How long does it take on trains?
I dont wanna do to much traveling though.
How touristy is Essouari? Is the sea unswimable or just bloody cold!?
Good luck with all the final arrangements
XX

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:

I was thinking Marocco
Thanks ya'll - i'll send y a postcard cool

I dont know if you know this, But in Morocco you can witness tree climbing goats.

Non-Https Image Link

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

7,193 posts

Posted:
a distant cousen of the lesser spotted tree badger ubblol

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
If I had the time and inclination i'd photoshop that to make the HOP-ville Acro-Goats.....Im not copy-righting the idea, so I wanna see that Pic on here sometime soon

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
callabria in italy is nice.... biggrin

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've just got back from Budapest.

Don't go there.

Its a bloody ugly city, and 99% of Hungarians are rude and unhelpful.

Went for Sziget festival on Obudai island, and on the last day got a train into the heart of the city, to see what it was like - wish I'd just stayed in the comfort of the festival!
I likend it to a more continental Birmingham, with more dust and grafiti.

I like Germany, and France. Koln is nice, Nurumburg is too however the less pretty of the two.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Essaouira in morocco is lovely.

Good for surfing and kite surfing, too smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Corsica. There's beach and mountains on not much space, should be somewhat sunny, and you can definitely get away from places with too many people if you walk a few miles.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
It's all about the Swiss Mountains.

You want peace and tranquility, that's the place to go.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ya but do they have goats in trees?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Ive got a spare room in Ko PG... but ya probably have booked something by now, and I d probably make you perform winklol
xoxo
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... i guess maybe you already been by now if you're going... but anyway, for future reference holidays in my world are as easy as

1. www.easyjet.com (flights)
2. www.hostelworld.com (hostel)
3. www.seat.61.com (travel within country...)

well close to that easy, factor in mucho bank account checking, probably also ryanair, and seat61 to compare prices of travel and times, and hostelbookers if in need of more hostels, and a bit of googling... the internet's great sometimes... alternatively if you really want a cheapy cheapy holiday try the hospitalityclub.org and go stay with randoms all over the world... smile

i want a holiday now...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
You know Banshee
I may well take you up on that offer.
I found out that I have a few cancelled gigs in October and decided rather than rushing a holiday in Morocco, before gigs here in Germany, I will stop off in Asia for a longer period
Im Umming and RRRRRRrrrr-ing between India and Thailand with a 3rd option of Bali (depending if Nick goes back)
Thailand is probably highest on my list right now, but depending on how things pan out in Oz/NZ quite possibly India.
To all those that gave advice thanks loads - I move around ALOT and I shall be making use of the knowledge at some point for sure.
But Banshee - if the offer of a room is there - I may well see ya middle of Oct? and yeah you may well be able to twist my arm to perform!!...It'd be a pleasure
Where abouts on Koh Phan are you?
I'd also like to do another meditation retreat - can you find out when they are dated for in Oct/Nov?
Peas out

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
yep, will get you the meditation info for two places near here... I will be around in october, and happy to have you stay, no charge for people that are fun , basically clean, and handle their own needs, maybe even help carry things up the hill...

November I am travelling around asia a bit myself, so wont be home. The room may still be available, or the whole house if ya want to run my cafe?

will be in touch,it would be mucho fun! smiles a

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
oh, where am I... haad tien beach, Ko Pangan island, south thailand. A boat access only area- though the road may reach here soon soon. See it at www.dokbua.org, or look up the sanctuary, it is nearby and has some good pictures of the area. Basically hippies doing hippy things in the jungle and on the beach...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Im told Rob is mostly housetrained. wink

Is it the Truth?

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poje

I dont know if you know this, But in Morocco you can witness tree climbing goats.

Thanks to you, now I want to visit Morocco biggrin

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Page: