Forums > Social Chat > poi to help global warming?

Login/Join to Participate

yogapoi1SILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
hello, right yesterday i had a really good idea,then realised that it's prohibitively expensive really but it's quite an entertaining thought.
sooo....electricity is made, basically by a turning magnet inside loads of copper coils which creates flux (i think) and then moves through wires as electricity.isnt poorly remembered physics good! can you see where i'm going with this?
what if: you had a copper coil big enough to stand in and swing your poi around in, then put magnets on the end of them(really really strong ones:neodymuim-i did my research cool ) then just by playing with your poi you could,say,boil the kettle, or power the toaster, maybe,just maybe have enough electricity to warm water!magic.
what do you think? entertaining trash?

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
You'd be spinning damn fast for a very long time to get your brew...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
and with the magnetism and the big metal ends they would be HEAVY which I suppose would aid in rotation...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't the magnets just get stuck to the coil? Call me a weakling, but that would just like get me stuck to the top of the coil or rip my fingers off with my grips!

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

scoshBRONZE Member
non stop uber rocking electro rock party
122 posts

Posted:
haha thats such a funny image or it would be if i knew what u looked like rite now ur kinda like just rag doll ish and i mean that in a totally lovely way ur the best rag doll i've ever seen in my head hug

"im quite depressed, im quite a mess, so beat me up, beat me down, mess me up beyond all recognition"

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Who, me? Am I hanging from the cieling of a metal coil in you're mind? wink

Here, let me help you...I'm 5'4", built like a ballet dancer, I dress like an emo kid with red and black emo hair. Any better, lol?

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

scoshBRONZE Member
non stop uber rocking electro rock party
122 posts

Posted:
amazing image heehee smile

"im quite depressed, im quite a mess, so beat me up, beat me down, mess me up beyond all recognition"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Maybe just getting on a stationary bicycle attached to a generator might be simpler?

Not as fun, mind you, but simpler and more efficient. And less likely to whack you in the head when a magnetic field throws the poi out of line.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Ooh, magnetic fields. Now we're getting all technical! I didn't even begin to think of that, lol.

Wait, just put the magnets inside a set of fluffy poi!

Proudly MCRmy

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fireina

Wouldn't the magnets just get stuck to the coil?

If you can get magnets to stick to copper coils then you should set about copyrighting and then publishing your results... wink

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

yogapoi1SILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
it would be insanely expensive for the copper too.it was just a random idea,but i'm sooo happy you're entertaining it!!! biggrin
i just realised another big problem though:the magnets would have to be so powerful that they would stick to each other and be almost impossible to separate (unless the incredible hulk lives next door)
i wish it would work though confused

fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
new to home of poi shop:
energy saving poi!
spin for ages... kill your arms but have a nice cup of tea at the end!