Forums > Social Discussion > Creating a fire performance group

Login/Join to Participate

PiRhonewbie
1 post

Posted:
I live in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and myself, along with many others, are going to try and start a performance group. The city has been adverse to it in the past, but has been really close to letting it happen. This is the first time that I've been involved, and before I approach any authorities, I'd like to know if any of you have any interesting approaches or successful strategies in dealing with reluctant authorities in this regard.

Thanks for your time,
- PiRho

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
A fully thought out safety plan and risk assessment is good, ! of my fire group is actually a fireman, I advise speaking to your local fire service and asking what they would advise safety wise. If you have the OK from the fire service it's a good step towards convincing local authourities. hug good luck.

oh and full public liability insurance in case of accidents even if you don't get it until they OK it tell them you plan to and show the company you plan on using.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
When you say Fire Performance group - what do you mean?
Are you refering to a regular meet outside, on Public Ground? Or a working performance group?
I can give advice for both but they arent neccessarily the same thing
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Boston and Cambridge are pretty strict about the law. I've only performed in Boston proper twice, and even then there was a lot of work and many hoops to jump through so we could.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireNix

When you say Fire Performance group - what do you mean?
Are you refering to a regular meet outside, on Public Ground? Or a working performance group?
I can give advice for both but they arent neccessarily the same thing
Peas

never thought of that but still approaching the fire service and getting their approval is always a good start for either option.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Find a spot on a swimmable chunk of water. It's really hard for the authoritys to complain about fire safety too much if you have a body of water right there to jump into should anything go awry.

That and having a good amount of performance and warm up area seperate from a spectator area.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fireina

Find a spot on a swimmable chunk of water. It's really hard for the authoritys to complain about fire safety too much if you have a body of water right there to jump into should anything go awry.

Bournemouth council wouldn't allow a large group of us to spin fire on the beach, I couldn't understand either, ...
if more than a few are down there the police come and chase us off due to the cameras along the waterfront. We have to spin in a closed section of road up by the gardens. rolleyes