GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Really, how heavy are the balls/weights that your use in your poi?

Ive got 135grams juggling balls in hyperloop cones at the moment.
90gram juggling balls in foxy socks
90gram rainbow glowballs in foxy socks
2 light LED wands on nylon cords
and 2 glowsticks on thread

Would it be a good idea to put the 90gram juggling balls in the new hyperloop cones or practice with heavy for a bit?

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
eeerm cant say i have weighed them, but all mine are moderately heavy.
sock poi have decent quality juggling balls in them.
my amazing amsterdam poi have fishing weights
my fire poi are stupidly heavy, especially when soaked, but are the best i have ever played with. but i guess they would be heavy cos the wicks are huge.

i guess i swing towards the heavy side of things where the weight of my poi is concerned. not sure why. maybe because they are easier to control? and not blown off course by the wind.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
or maybe you just like big balls?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

272 posts

Posted:
wink oh i just cant help myself wink

dirkjentlyBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
i was surprised as to how much differnce the weight made, the chains on my fire poi where to long so i bunched it at the handles for a bit cos i didn't have cire cutters and it was really hard, when i reversed the chains and put all the spare chain at the bottom, it was so much easier.

'The prerequisite of originality is the art of forgetting, at the proper moment, what we know.' 32

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I found JtJ's juggling balls heavier than mine... but 2 of his and 3 of mine and I found I could flash 5 balls no problem

I have many balls... quite a few of them large ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
I have a pair of foxy socks, and the innards get changed frequently.
Used to use the rainbow glow balls they came with, presume 90g.
Now use 110g juggling ball, less painful!
Also have 140g juggling ball and 150g of rice in bags that occasionally get put in if I want more weight for some reason, but I dont really like them much, I think I prefer lighter than heavier poi.

As for the question as to what you should use, only you know that, experiment. One good suggestion I heard was put rice in the socks, and just vary it till your happy, then put the rice in a bag so it doesnt fall out or whatever.

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I prefer heavy balls.

Mine are 150gms.

At the moment, because I left my poi in Berlin, I'm using silicon balls in my poi. they weigh about 170grams, I think... maybe heavier... But I don't advise anyone to use bouncy balls in poi... two days ago I hit myself in the balls for the first time in almost two years... when they collide, they bounce...

Heavy for me = slower spinning, which gives more time to think, and makes moves look so much more controlled.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
To be honest, I think no weight is the best weight. I used to love heavy poi (160g+), but then I got annoyed with the fact that I couldn't really isolate with anything lighter so moved to lighter poi, which also helped as I wanted to practise spiral wraps (which are aided by lighter poi).

So now I'm going back to light and I'm going to work my way back up to heavy again, making sure I practise all my skill sets. But I'm not going back to 250s again, they made my wrists click!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
im now back to 90gram because they make isolations, stalls and hyperloops harder, therefore will be easier when i use fire/heavier practice poi

luke2063newbie
2 posts

Posted:
I like the feel of my 125g thuds in hyperloops - I tried some large DX's (190g) but didn't like the feel of them, they just seemed a lot more jerky, which reflecting back seems counter-intuitive...but impacts were definitely less pleasant frown

wimberwayGOLD Member
3 posts

Posted:
my light balls are about 50 grams, and my fire heads are about 160 grams, but i also use some super heavy ones for training and muscle building. i picked up some 2 pound fishing weights a few months back (about 950 grams, so WAY heavier than anything else ive ever seen), and even though i can only spin the basics with them, and can only spin them for a max of like 5 minutes, they have done wonders for my spinning. imagine the first time you used fire, and how much easier it was to use light poi afterwards, cuz youre not nearly as worried about hitting yourself. well the weights are like that, only a huge step above fire. and trust me, it hurts alot more to hit yourself with a two pound weight spinning at high speeds than a light ball of fire

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Ive got a few 10kg plates lieing around somewhere and im sure i could find some rope. Dont fancy shattering my kneecap or getting a brain hemorrhage practicing my forwards btb weave though!

(id get big muscles i suppose)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
double post frown
EDITED_BY: Geeza (1187993704)

272 posts

Posted:
well look who it is. luke i want a chat with you. will get you on msn. and nice point about the light poi i might try that - my upward stalls are really messy

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lizzybeth

well look who it is. luke i want a chat with you. will get you on msn. and nice point about the light poi i might try that - my upward stalls are really messy

I just practice doing overhand and underhand buttlery and upward stalling then over stalling each one

272 posts

Posted:
smile cheers will try that