Forums > Social Chat > poi-ing continuously in my head.

Login/Join to Participate

arachnesweaveBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
I can't close my eyes for a second without visualizing myself spinning poi. It's amazing how every song I hear, I think of how I can spin to it. All types of music with varying tempos and sounds. Electronica, Industrial, New Age and even some Punk! I see myself spinning around a fire circle one moment, ever so graceful and then in the middle of a mosh pit the next, slamming all around. ubbloco

I think about it all the time. I now fall asleep spinning in my head. I'm very excited to be picking up the moves so quickly. Actually, I'm catching on much quicker than I expected to catch on. I truly believe that creative visualization is helping me. If you can see it, you can do it. I guess there is something to be said for hypno-therapy. ubblol

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
its a good thing biggrin usually when i can visulize a move then it means i can do it, or im on my way to being able to do it smile i get excited when i wake up seeing poi - it usually means that whatever i have been doing has finally sunk in! smile

if i could be a busy busy bee...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i hear songs ALL the time and think of tricks to do at certain parts....now if only i could do the tricks smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

gingernutnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I keep thinking of dance moves that would go really well, but I don't practise enough for them to look good frown
One day I'll get my ass in gear and have an amazing poi/dance routine!

12 posts

Posted:
.....except for the backward 3 beat weave. That one is a toughie for me. I can see it in my head. I can work through the moves, visually, but then I start swinging the pio IRL (in real life) and it's a mess. My husband says I look like I'm being attacked by killer bees. LOL!! I hit myself and keep hitting myself hoping that one of the bonks will result in a smooth reverse weave. I'll get it, I know I will. Much of my success is sheer determination. wink

12 posts

Posted:
ubblol I hear ya! The mind is an amazing thing, it's the phsyical that keeps getting in the darn way. All we can do is practice, practice, practice and have faith that it will eventually become a reality. hug

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
yeah i get that too. i always think of how to spin to any song i hear and like

12 posts

Posted:
Well, I sure hope you'll et us know when your routine is running on u-tube. I can't wait to see it - no matter how long it takes. ubbrollsmile

I have a jam packed schedule too. It's a bummer I don't have more time to practice. I'm aiming for at least 2-3 times a week for at least an hour or so. weavesmiley

12 posts

Posted:
I just hope that stringing the moves together into some sort of a choreographed routine comes more easily with time. Although I love dancing, and can dance quite well, if I don't say so myself, getting my feet to move along WITH the poi is proving difficult. I get stuck on where to move my feet and when I think too much about it - instant tangles. redface

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I do this too!

Unfortunately quite often when I'm driving, which is probably not the safest of things but... meh

I'm now trying to do it on purpose with hoop, but not quite there yet, only been hooping for 2 weeks, don't think I'm doing too badly, being able to spin poi and do hat manipulation definately helps too!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
people get annoyed talkin to me on the phone now cuz things pop into my head and all they get is me going ow butterfly flowers i wonder lol etc

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I can be reading a book sometimes and go to turn the page and think 'I didnt actually read that, I just looked at the words and thought about anti-spin"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
HA!!

Remember at Pride last year? (bloody hell the year went quickly!) and we looked at a ride and dubbed it the 'AntiSpin Ride'. It rocked!

Yup, pretty much think about spinning every waking hour. Is this healthy?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

I can be reading a book sometimes and go to turn the page and think 'I didnt actually read that, I just looked at the words and thought about anti-spin"

I know EXACTLY what you mean, sometimes its a whole chapter

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

janatheGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
The other night I couldn't sleep because I could only think of how to hoop and spin poi at the same time. I had just hooped for the first time since knowing what was possible with it. I figured out the secret in my head, now I have to figure how to keep the hoop up in real life.

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
I could have posted that first post on this thread... I'm experiencing exactly the same.

The difference is i can't dance but poi is teaching me to... When i'm spinning on music after a while i start moving in harmony with the poi and when i put away the poi and keep moving like that i'm just dancing but i wouldn't know what to do with my arms ubblol

hooray for weavesmiley !