Forums > Social Chat > Pringles and Acrylamide... change your junk food habits

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Change your dietary habits, especially (MCD and Burger Kings) French Fries and KFC Potato wedges are to separate your soul from your body...

I admit, I was to be able to empty an entire tray of Pringles alone...

Article 1
Article 2

But I knew it: Things that taste good are lethal! shrug

Who wants to live forever? umm wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
eh, doesnt seem like enough to really worry about. I mean i smoke, plus i lve food. I definatly dont want to live forever and im working on that everyday smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
with all the preservatives-I'll leave a good looking corpse

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
well preserved my grandad used to say biggrin life is for living, and i dont think i will be doing it without all the yummy things biggrin moderation is the key they say...interesting though.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Ah well, smokers do know acrylamide (which is not a preservative)...

Basically it's said to cause cancer (not sure wich type) but if I happen to develop cancer I will sue Pringles (as having been my primary source of junk food)... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
https://www.vialls.com/transpositions/smoking.html

Personally I like the above link. It's slightly biased, but interesting and quite ponderous....

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
hmmm., but what is the ACTUAL safe limit for acrylamide? it mentions what the EPA guideline is for a glass of water but that's the Environmental Protection Agency, they're more worried about chemicals damaging fish, causing algae etc, at no point in either of those did it say what the recommended safe limit for humans was

https://enhs.umn.edu/5103/acryl/harmful.html

this seems to mention the acute toxicity level as 300mg / kg of body weight so the bigger you are the safer you are... and if you eat that much McD's and pringles you'll get quite big wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, hold the presses.

STOP OVERREACTING

There are small quantities of toxic chemicals in EVERY SINGLE FOOD THAT EXISTS. Peanuts have small quantities of aflatoxin-B1, which is the single most toxic chemical known to man. All fried foods with starch in them have acrylamide. ALL of them. And since all foods have carbohydrates in them, including meat (which has glycogen), then all fried foods will have acrylamide in them.

If you want to be 100% safe, kill yourself. It's the only way to avoid injury.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ok carcinogens and preservatives lol

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
It's fairly widely known that acrylamide forms during the cooking process (as the article says, particularly with frying). The article is incredibly misleading in its attempts to villify fast food outlets. Fact is if you have a bbq at home you'll probably get more acrylamide forming than you do from chips from a fast food outlet, not to mention other carcinogens like benzo[a]pyrene. I'm not condoning fast food outlets here, theres a lot wrong with them, just trying to give a balanced perspective. Also cancer risk from acrylamide in food is probably very low compared with other sources. I'm not familiar with the statistics but "A few thousand cases per year" is probably a drop in the ocean, that statement is misleading in itself because you'd be hard pushed to proove any statistic for cancer caused by acrylamide in food because of the many confounding factors.

/rant over

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
My diet used to be shot to pieces, my inherent laziness plus a few very-well placed fast foods near work/uni contributed to Maccas/HJs/KFC/whatever making up about a third of my weekly meals. A month ago I decided that whenever I had any type of junk food (including 'healthy' alternatives, like the local bakery) I'd transfer $100 from my spending account to my savings account, and so far it's working OK.

I find it annoying though when people insist on telling me that take-away is so bad for you, trying to give the impression that eating one meal or combo will leave you overweight and you'll die. As Motley pointed out, even a few thousand a year in nothing compared to how many people eat regularly at such places. And again with confounding variables - it's very difficult to pinpoint fast food as a single cause of cancer; what if those who have a higher risk of cancer are psychologically attracted to fast foods? Could it be that those who eat fast food as a main part of their diet are likely to not exercise as much? The list goes on....

Kupo!