Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
a couple of articles about it:
Barak says soldiers are israel's true heroes
draft dodger's reasons
High schools to help fight draft dodging?
Yitzhak Laor's view on this

now something that isnt in those articles:
Some of the methods suggested to fight draft dodging in Israel were to take voting rights away from draft dodgers, and not allowing them to get driver's licenses.
As someone who's planning on not serving in the army, I'm really angry at this. by doing that israel will lose any trace of democracy it has left, and basically it almost guarantees that people like Baruch Marzel and other radical-right parties would get a bigger percent of votes, while many liberal-left parties get close to none (many of them has very low representation in the knesset now, without draft dodgers they probably wont have any at all) so there would be even less balance between the left and right parties.
if these laws pass i'm moving out of this place... (anyone in england want to marry me? wink)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
frown

I met many guys when I was travelling, from Israel, who were just out of the army.

Some were quite badly affected by the experience and went travelling to drink and party as much as possible... others were angry that their early 20s had been stolen... One guy (who I think was about 24) had been forced to shoot at children... frown frown

Forced conscription is appalling, in my opinion... so best wishes in your mission to get out of it hug

Getting to the other side smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
The problem is deep-rooted in the Israeli dilemma and as complex as it is simple:

You have to (at some stage) come to a peaceful solution and this by democratic means - or move. Is it still that you could move to the US (with an Israeli passport)?

Well it might not be the best alternative of all, but hey at least they would shoot you just because they think you're an Arab, not because of being a Jew (if that helps)

Sarcasm set aside: If you feel like not joining the army, you have to follow your heart, despite all the obstacles. Not being legible to vote or to drive a car might be a temporary problem - shooting ppl and children will haunt you your entire life....

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well you're quite cute and I'd offer to let you marry me.

Unfortunately, I'm roughly half your age and we can't legally marry here.

Besides, draconian draft rules or not, I still think Israel is a freer society than the U.S.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Well you're quite cute and I'd offer to let you marry me.

Unfortunately, I'm roughly half your age and we can't legally marry here.

Besides, draconian draft rules or not, I still think Israel is a freer society than the U.S.

That should read "double", or is this the 8yr Doc junior signing up under his screen name? umm wink And there are states in the US where the "age of consent" would be 14, no? Oh, but these are the states where "same sex marriage" is still illegal, no? wink footinmouth

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've travelled a bit in Israel and met some guys who were planning to dodge the draft by claiming they were crazy. Unfortunately, some of them ended up going because they said they'd not be able to get a good job if they hadn't served.

As someone who has witnessed drunk soldiers with guns in clubs (because they have to carry the guns wherever they go), or guys in Yad Vashem wearing shorts, a girlfriend on the arm, and a gun over the other shoulder, thinking it was the most normal thing in the world to carry a weapon into a building like that, I wish you all the luck in managing to dodge your draft and make a change. hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
look out for shin bet wink

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
i've got a bit of knowledge about the army, although not the israeli army, since my dad was in the army and i got to see what most other people never did. i'm totally against conscription (i'm anti military altogether, but whatever) but it seems to me that by doing this the government is losing the support of the people they need on their side, the general public.

i'm not going to pretend that i know everything about this topic, because i don't, but in my opinion the israeli government should set themselves up for a hell of a lot of trouble if they do use those methods to tackle dodge drafting.

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnclassifiedLeggyGirl

it seems to me that by doing this the government is losing the support of the people they need on their side, the general public.

I dont think they'll lose support by the general public, a lot of israelis are really militant and actually think that people that dont serve in the army dont deserve the same rights as people that do.

Written by: Doc Lightning

sadly israel is always second to the US when it comes to bad things. we're probably the most militant society after the US.

Written by: Birgit

I've travelled a bit in Israel and met some guys who were planning to dodge the draft by claiming they were crazy. Unfortunately, some of them ended up going because they said they'd not be able to get a good job if they hadn't served.

my current plan is to get out of serving in the army without lying, I'll tell them im a pacifist and that i cant be part of a violent organisation, I'll probably have to do some time in military jail though (which isnt like real jail. mostly draft dodgers and order refusers).

anyway no job is worth 3 years of my life being wasted as part of the army.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
poiboy - I have a lot of respect for people who stand up for what they believe in. Best of luck with it. hug

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ditto hug good luck hug

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Maybe you could get political asylum somewhere? The UK has a policy of giving asylum to all high profile crooks, criminals and terrorists from third world countries (e.g. Russian Boris Berezovsky, Thai Thaksin Shinawatra, Pakistani Altaf Hussain, etc.), but I'm not sure what the policy would be in a genuine case like yours.
EDITED_BY: Yell fire! (1187087075)

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I wanted to bump this.

There's a new anti-draft dodging ad campaign here, going by the slogan "A real Israeli doesn't dodge the draft", it's all over the place, and I hate it. It saddens me to see almost no one except other draft dodgers say that this campaign is very very wrong.

Anyway I've been looking for an article about this in English, this blog entry is what I found:

Real Israelis Shoot Guns - Part 1

Real Israelis Shoot Guns - Part 2

Your thoughts?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I'm against drafting anyway and beleive in free will. I hate war as i am sure most people do but to go to these levels it puts selfdoubt into peoples minds which niggles away at them until they cave in as the guilt is too much. Thats what they count on.

*takes a deep breath*

the world sucks hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto and hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Ahh.. go on, I was holding out for a Kiwi sheep farmer, but if y'need a visa.. wink

They should at least have an alternative option, as a lot of countries with a compulsory public service term do, so you can do something that serves your country in a non-violent way.. Good luck with it all anyway..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
find out you have an obscure medical disorder which prevents you serving. or severely fail an eye test to be registered blind biggrin then you get to wear cool shades and carry a white staff..i mean stick hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You can't really do more than democratically oppose it. If you find the majority of Israeli citizens supporting it, you have a few choices, one of them is to leave the country (which is what I would opt for, but that's just me). Dunno whether the UK is that much of an alternative, certainly Germany ain't for me (which is why I am relocating).

"May the universe provide me with the strength to change things I can change, the patience to accept things I can't change and the wisdom to tell one from the other."

hug

dbrgBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Come on... Poiboy...
You should know your not a "true Israeli"
I mean, if this is the definition...
Personally, as a one with a bit anarchistic tendency, I find this definition very irrelevant for me.
I am Israeli because I live here, and thats it.
Actually, I find it rather satisfying to see that someone up there have noticed that the army have lost some popularity...
Rules are nice, but if enough people do not want to serve in the army, then they won't have any public effect...

Daniel, a *proud* true Israeli

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I really dont care if I'm a true Israeli or not, actually I always make jokes that not cutting in line, not being a crappy driver, and not being an ars is not much of a threat to me tongue.
and yeah, I totally agree with you on "I'm Israeli because I live here". I really have no connection to any country other than friends/family.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
go travelling then...

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I hate the army so much right now. It's like they systematically call me up at dates I can't make.
So far I've missed callups due to a math test, and a computer science test.
They sent me another one for the same date as my final in physics. I've sent them a request saying I won't be able to make it and asked them to postpone it to late August.

They sent me one for when I'm in the UK frown.
Obviously, I'm not planning on making it, just needed to rant.

On a brighter note, I've decided on moving to England as soon as I finish high school smile

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yeay you so should, hugs
x hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows