Forums > Social Chat > Hen Party Drinking Games

Login/Join to Participate

Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to go to a hen weekend, the day bit is at a spa (SOOOOOO Not my scene!). Then we're going to a classy nightclub.
I need some drinking games, make them as risque as you like..I have a feeling I'm going to need something extreme to stop me injuring myself for kicks!!!

I'm not even allowed to take my poi...sob frown

Heeelllllppppp!

Mako xxxx

why do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow!

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to witness it...do the other trees laugh?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry, but I'm very opposed to this topic.

The other night while I was on call, a young lady (16yo) came in to the emergency room with a blood alcohol level of 466. 80 is legally impaired in all states in the U.S.A. A level over 400 is typically associated with coma and death. Fortunately for her, it was coma. When she came around, it turns out that she had so much because...she was participating in a drinking game. I fear that with a blood alcohol concentration so high, she may have permanent, subtle brain damage.

A few weeks ago, a young man (17yo) came in with a blood alcohol level of 266. He required intubation (a breathing tube down the throat) because he kept on failing to breathe as the alcohol suppressed the re. Luckly, he, too survived. Again, the culprit was a drinking game.

A few years back, a man at the University of Michigan died after he took 21 shots in rapid succession in celebration of his 21st birthday. Police ruled it a suicide.

I could tell story after story after story, but I hope that you get the idea of what I've seen and why I'm reacting so vehemently.

Alcohol is a recreational drug. The fact that it is legal does not make it harmless. The difference between an intoxicating and a toxic/lethal dose is less than a factor of 10. Alcohol costs the healthcare system more than any other recreational drug known with the exception of tobacco.

By posting a thread seeking drinking games, you are asking for help in abusing a recreational drug. I am not opposed to the moderate use of any recreational drug, legal or otherwise. But drinking games are not use, they are ABuse. They very often lead to injury and death, and I've seen the unfortunate results entirely too often.

There are many other fun (and quite risque) games that can be played at a party that don't involve ingesting toxic amounts of alcohol. If you'd like to post a thread asking for some of those, I'd be happy to throw in plenty of ideas.

I can't stop you from playing drinking games, but I hope that nobody here will offer to assist you.

I hope the moderators will lock this thread.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
Sorry Mike,
certainly wasn't planning on taking any of them that far. but I understand why you feel so strongly.
I would also hope that all of the women going were adult enough to know when they've had enough and call it a day.

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to witness it...do the other trees laugh?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Due to Doc's reply im gonna second his desicion. Why cant you take your poi?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
It's all in a complex and its quite a high profile place, apparently they would just prefer I didn't?!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mako

Sorry Mike,
certainly wasn't planning on taking any of them that far. but I understand why you feel so strongly.
I would also hope that all of the women going were adult enough to know when they've had enough and call it a day.

I would hope so, too. But the attitude behind "let's play a drinking game" makes me pessimistic.

-Mike

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
I played loads of drinking games, the thing about them indeed is you just have to know when to quit, don't let your pride or love for games beat your health...

Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
Same here and I must confess most of the ones I've played are not competitive.
By risque I meant getting people to do silly things to avoid drinking - not as in drink as much as you can in the next 30 sec.
To be honest most of the women present are older than me and will be adept in making fools of themselves in public anyway?!! lolsign

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
People can end up inebriated even if they haven't been playing drinking games. And I agree with Mako that there is an adult responsibility with knowing when you've had enough.

I also think that incidents such as the ones listed highlight a problem with such strict legal drinking ages and attitudes to drinking. Two of those people were underage and one was only just of age but that's not a topic for this thread.

oh, I don't understand your blood alcohol content levels either.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
wikkid fun game:

get red stickers and yellow stickers (or any two colours really)

red is "hot" or a "good sport" (aus english for a great person)
yellow is for "not" (ie: ugly) or a "wanker" (no, not literaly!)

and you have to go around the pub where you are and stick them onto unsuspecting guys! although I warn you that there will eventually come a time when you have to leave the venue as the yellow stickers gradually figure out what it means! ubblol

I had one guy who was being a wanker so i yellow stickered him and he got offended and called me shallow and i was like "no, you're just a wanker" (cos, really, he was). or there were the guys that pinched my friend's arse so we all swamped him with yellow stickers!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
Haha great game have to try that once, not really a drinking game though is it?

anyway, here in belgium you're allowed to drink when you're 16 and doing so before you're 16 isn't that weird or anything, i think making drinking legal at 18 or making a fuss about it before you're 18 or whatever age isn't such a good idea, its illegal so it appeals to some people, here its just normal and people get to know it at their own pace most of the time so the risk of things like alcoholpoisening is smaller i think.

just my opinion...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
completely agree.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Bigfoot67

Haha great game have to try that once, not really a drinking game though is it?

anyway, here in belgium you're allowed to drink when you're 16 and doing so before you're 16 isn't that weird or anything, i think making drinking legal at 18 or making a fuss about it before you're 18 or whatever age isn't such a good idea, its illegal so it appeals to some people, here its just normal and people get to know it at their own pace most of the time so the risk of things like alcoholpoisening is smaller i think.

just my opinion...

I agree wholeheartedly. The U.S. (in its infinite wisdom on drug policy) has the highest drinking age in the world (excluding countries that ban drinking outright). The U.S. also (almost certainly by sheer coincidence wink ) suffers the highest per-capita damages due to alcohol-related injury and illness (WHO data).

When I was three, I asked my father for a sip of the whiskey he was having before dinner (my parents drank moderately, 1-2 drinks/day). To a child of that age, the reaction is "YUCK!!! POISON!!!" Kids are smarter than adults in many ways...

Throughout my childhood, alchol was always available to me, I was always welcome to try it, and I always had that same visceral reaction: "YUCK!! POISON!!" Thanks, in part, to that upbringing, I never became a heavy drinker.

Yes, the drinking age needs to be lowered and alcohol needs to be demystified. We can't ban it; we tried that and it was a miserable failure.

The fact remains that alcohol is a strikingly dangerous drug. It is a major cause of both acute and chronic morbidity (injury/illness) and mortality. In 1998, alcohol-related damages cost ~US$500 per U.S. citizen (WHO data).

In pharmaceuticals, there is the concept of a therapeutic index. This is the difference between the therapeutic and toxic doses of a drug. An antibiotic such as amoxicillin has a very high therapeutic index, because it takes a spectacular overdose (hundreds of times the therapeutic dose) before it gets toxic. Digoxin (a heart drug) has a low therapeutic index because the toxic dose can be as little as 3-4 times the therapeutic dose.

While there is no "therapeutic index" for recrational drugs (because they are not therapeutic drugs), I call the equivalent the "Toxicity Index" (term I made up). The toxicity index for alcohol is about 10, meaning that it takes an overdose of about ten times the intoxicating dose before it becomes toxic (3-4 stiff drinks can get you drunk; 30-40 can get you dead). Cocaine and heroin have similar toxicity indices to alcohol. (Marijuana, by contrast, has a toxicity index of about 500 [based on dog data]. A 75kg human have to take about 2,500 hits of marijuana at one sitting to risk death.)

Oh, and alcohol withdrawal can cause seizures and death. Heroin and cocaine withdrawal, while unpleasant, do not cause significant mortality.

We don't run around asking for "shooting games" for heroin or "snorting games" for cocaine, so why the drinking games? It's every bit as dangerous.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I think the answer to that question is simple. Because alcohol is legal. And still far more "cool" than smoking - cigarette games (if any exist) would probably not be advertised on here, simply because there's too many people strongly opposing smoking on here and even most smokers have realised that it's not cool.

With alcohol, we're still miles away from that realisation. While I personally don't see the problem with playing the odd drinking game among responsible adults, I don't think the post is a very good idea in a PG forum. However, given how many posts more or less openly celebrate spliffs, which don't cause less lung cancer than cigarettes just because they're friendly hippie drugs, and also the mention of pills etc in some threads to do with spinning in clubs, it would be hypocritical to lock this thread and keep all the other ones running.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
it's all about understanding and education, i myself did used to bang on about the use of mdma/pills but as i've gotten older and wiser (laugh if you will) i've discovered i don't now like such things but i DO NOT slam down on people for using them, nor do i preach about the evils. everyone makes mistakes in this life and it is through such things lessons are learned.

the more people bang on about "ooooh it's bad, it's evil, it's criminal etc" the more youngsters using such things will dig in and come to the attitude "you don't know what your on about"

just look at prohabition in the states, they totally banned alcohol,hemp and marijuana and over the decades whats happened??

they've spent billions on this "war on drugs" why not save that money and pump it into education and reserch into these things seen as taboo??

we're all young and reckless,thinking ourselves indestructabel at some point while growing up and getting it wrong dose have harsh consiquences, but instead of criminalise and deamonise people that make such mistakes why not try to educate them.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

I think the answer to that question is simple. Because alcohol is legal. And still far more "cool" than smoking - cigarette games (if any exist) would probably not be advertised on here, simply because there's too many people strongly opposing smoking on here and even most smokers have realised that it's not cool.

Well that and smoking doesn't get you nearly as intoxicated as alcohol does. And the more you smoke, the less intoxicated you get because your brain rapidly develops tolerance (a term called tachyphylaxis). Nicotine is quite toxic, but at a dose of 25-60mg in an adult. The average cigarette has about 1mg (Erowid). So you'd have to smoke 1-3 packs at a sitting for it to get dangerous.

Note that TOBACCO SMOKE (and, to return to my previous post, marijuana smoke) is awful for you, but I'm not addressing that. I'm just addressing nicotine.

-Mike

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i agree with you doc, and yes kids www.erowid.com if your friend wink you can learn a great deal from that site

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hahaha... I wasn't meaning "smoking games" in the sense of "getting high on nicotine" (I'm a toxicologist after all...). More of a hypothetical "fun things to do while having fags together" or something, but you know what I mean anyway.

Though one of my profs told us a very funny story about back-in-the-days where people mouth-pipetted, and he was mouth-pipetting a concentrated nicotine solution, not realising it was quite volatile, and was found knocked out on the floor by an assistant a short while later ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
there are "smoking games". I came across quite a few in Romnia.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Though one of my profs told us a very funny story about back-in-the-days where people mouth-pipetted, and he was mouth-pipetting a concentrated nicotine solution, not realising it was quite volatile, and was found knocked out on the floor by an assistant a short while later ubblol

He's lucky he didn't get found dead...

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
That's medics trying to do science for you... tongue

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
hehehehe...

...heeyy! Wait a minute!

mad wink

-Mike

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
hehe, it really amazes me that there are so many people on this forum who actually think about things rationally and who i can relate to that good.

I mean the rate of such people on this forum is much higher than people i meet in real life...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Nae worries, I'm sure what the medics thought of me and the other 2 biochemists who were on their pathology course was just as bad hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well I have a M.S. in molecular biology, so I take no offense.

Most doctors wouldn't know science if it got into bed with them.

-Mike

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Now correct me if im wrong but i heard that the US drinking age was made based on when your liver (or possibly kidneys) are finished maturing. If this is true then i think that 21 is a proper age to have the legal limit set at. But I also agree with the outlook those around you have on the stuff.

If your a kid and your parents are adament about not letting you have a taste even, your going to be more curious and probably more likley to keep trying different things.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poje

Now correct me if im wrong but i heard that the US drinking age was made based on when your liver (or possibly kidneys) are finished maturing.

Oh, I'm sure there's some such government justification. I'm even sure they have some cooked-up "data" to support their view.

It's sheer hogwash (that's a polite term for "lies," which is what it's called when you deliberately propagate an untruth). There is no significant difference between a 17-year-old liver and a 21-year-old liver. Same for kidneys. In fact, children's livers and kidneys tend to be far more efficient than those of adults at removing toxins, including alcohol.

Brain is different.

-Mike

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
see, ya learn something everyday.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!