Forums > Meet Others > Neon Shaolin goes down.... under

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hello wonderous people of Oz...

As of 18th of September shall be making my way towards your part of the southern hemisphere for an 8month visit (and a long-needed break from the UK)

Main reason is to visit all you lovely people down there for major spinn-age and working for a living to keep me there as long as possible.

My main concrete plans are Melbourne Juggling Convention in er... Melbourne... and Common Ground in Adelaide. Otherwise it's pretty much a tumbleweed's life for me until May. I plan to visit at least Sydney and Brisbane (and that common tourist trap Alice Springs)

As far as I know I will be staying with Pineapple Pete from MJC till Common Ground.

If anyone has any other events I may be interested or if anyone can accommodate me whilst on my travels do let me know.

Hope to see you guys down there!

Peace Out xx

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Cheers for all the input guys.

Point Blank, NZ is definitely on the agenda (it's just a matter of when!) hug

Gabe: I'll check if Woodford clashes with Serpent Rainbow as both sound awesome (also depends on work and cash!) hug

Dentrassi: BRING IT ON spank

Everyone has given plenty of valid points regarding Melbourne/Brisbane. I am kinda conflicted with going for the chilled-out vibe of Brisbane or the metropolitan hussle and bussle of Melbourne. I think the best thing for me to do is maybe travel to Brisbane either before or after Common Ground to get a feel for it before deciding. Weather is definitely a factor in my coming to Oz having becoming increasingly sensitive to bad weather over here in Blighty in recent years.
Might even go to Sydney for the gayness!

Cheers guys. hug hug hug

Under 5 weeks to go! biggrin biggrin biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Definitely lots of hospitality work here. We have lots of pubs, bars and cafes smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Rainbow Serpent and Woodford dont clash so your safe smile Woodford is always xmas/new year - rainbow is late Jan. Theres a whole bunch of hippies who do Earthcore Melbourne (late nov) to Woodford (Brisbane, new year) to Exodus (100 km south of bris, mid Jan) to Rainbow Serpent (melbournish, late Jan) in one big long run of festivals & sunshine. oh and Easter Confest (about 500km NW of melbourne, 800km from Adelaide & Sydney)... and probably a few doofs & other parties in between ubbrollsmile

Well if you want to explore around - come to brissy before CG - fly over with the brissy crew to CG - then scab a lift direct to melbourne afterwards. If you decide you like melbourne - stay there - otherwise move on to somewhere else or back to brissy if you like us more smile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1187003588)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
What the hell do those hippies do for money when they just go from one festival to another all the time?

I'm being serious by the way, cos I really don't get it!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I have been saving... About £8,000 now... (about $19,110) tongue
A desk job isn't appealing to me as I've spent the past 3 years at one, so anything where I'm on my feet is appealing!

Cheers Dentrassi. Sounds very sensible! biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

What the hell do those hippies do for money when they just go from one festival to another all the time?

I'm being serious by the way, cos I really don't get it!

People get crew tickets to the festivals by running workshops/fireshows etc.
Blag lifts
Busk.
Work in between times.
Work the rest of the year
Sell *produce*
Not to mention Centrelink, Oztraya's largest arts sponsor....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gabe

Not to mention Centrelink, Oztraya's largest arts sponsor....

It all makes sense now wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I have been saving... About £8,000 now... (about $19,110) tongue
A desk job isn't appealing to me as I've spent the past 3 years at one, so anything where I'm on my feet is appealing!

Cheers Dentrassi. Sounds very sensible! biggrin

Lots of fruit picking work out there, or so the papers tell us. No idea how good the money is but maybe worth a thought. I heard a rumour that if you fruit pick for a certain time you get your visa extended.
some site about fruit picking..dodgy?..no idea could be

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
There's loads of work in Brisbane and in all the harvesty areas too.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Picking Fruit? *achem* No jokes to be made there at all eh...? rolleyes

I'd be up for that too. Really don't mind getting my hands dirty...

Bar work is a bone of contention due to my inability to deal with really drunk people but it's an option...

Again thanks for the input...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
What about cafe work? Less likely to encounter drunks there.

Me and my mates were going to go fruit picking for a week after highschool...never happened though frown

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
[Quote]Picking Fruit? *achem* No jokes to be made there at all eh...? [/Quote]

is that a euphimism I have missed? (along with dodgy spelling 101)

There is this cafe is Perth that has a devine selection of foreign bar staff. Its worth it for the yummy accents as well as the lush food.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

[Quote]Picking Fruit? *achem* No jokes to be made there at all eh...? [/Quote]
is that a euphimism I have missed? (along with dodgy spelling 101)

picking fruit? ubblol dont worry gnor - we'll explain at CG hug

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, it doesn't involve Wombats... wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
um...... redface redface
I blush easily....
Does the explanation come with illustrations wink and guestures ubblol

Is it the Truth?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
No unfortunately, the illustrations and gestures only come out for the Wombats and other paperweights...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
*whew*

Will get Geo to be my stunt dummy for the explanation then at CG biggrin ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Dude, I'm going to be in Australia for a while from November too smile We shall have to co-ordinate.

"Take that, math!"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
OOoooh Yes MacDaddy! hug

Read the above contributions from the lovely HOPpers above for an idea of where we could intersect... Most probably be in Melbourne in November but as was once said 'I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar...'

Gnor, don't forget the nutella... wink

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:

... NZ is definitely on the agenda (it's just a matter of when!) hug

Just as well bucko!! ubblol

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
this is TOO cool!!! it'll be great to see you, dave...!! I'll be seriously jealous if you do woodford... cos I can't do it this year... got all my kids in the christmas/new year period and no way can I afford for all of us to go...

however... I can HIGHLY recommend it... the only downside of woodford is having decide what not to do, cos you'd need at least a dozen of you to do it all.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It'll be great to me you too matey! hug I'll be visiting Brisbane before Common Ground hopefully. You coming to CG? Or is it another 'I've got the kids' scenaro?

With woodford it all depends on Job and money when I get there but I shall work towards it...

4 weeks to go! biggrin

Peace Out mate peace hug

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
theres a big volunteer focus on woodford. something like 30 hours of volunteer work for a ticket. if you have a week free before then - you can get your hours down during set-up - then enjoy the entire 6/7 day festival smile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1187320041)

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'm a nerd - skim reading and all I pick up on the movie reference. See you when you come down to Melbourne!

Kupo!

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:

OOoooh Yes MacDaddy! hug

Read the above contributions from the lovely HOPpers above for an idea of where we could intersect... Most probably be in Melbourne in November but as was once said 'I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar...'

Gnor, don't forget the nutella... wink

But of course smile I'll give you a PM when I sort some stuff properstyle but I think it's fairly safe to assume I'll be at all the relevant spinny type events biggrin

"Take that, math!"

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:

You coming to CG? Or is it another 'I've got the kids' scenaro?

nah... missing CG (ra ra freaking ra...!!) for an entirely different reason. my sister is getting married on the saturday.

bit bloody rude, I reckon... 52 saturdays a year to choose from and she picks that one!! and it's not like she hasn't been married before... rolleyes

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi - just weighing up the pros and cons of working for a week for a ticket - i.e. is the price of the ticket more or less than a week's salary? tongue

Then again if I help I'd probably get better choice of camping spot biggrin Plus it'd be great to meet people there whilst on the job...

Jarle - What film reference? rolleyes

Puresock - See you at Sydney Pride then... biggrin

Pogo - ask your sister to get cold feet then change her mind again the week after and have a beach wedding! You do have beaches in Oz right...?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
errr cant remember off hand how much a ticket is - i think its like $250-300 ish - which probably works out to being close to the minimum wage standard for a 28 hr volunteer contract (or whatever it was). Its not a bad deal. newgabe probably could give you a better indication.

they usually require fire-spinner volunteers for the fire-event at the finale - i think dale did that - ask him how that was. your hours for that will take up time during the festival though.

gabes been involved in woodford since before the big flood wink - so will be able to fill you in.

hug
E.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
just to warn you ozzy types....

he's much shorter in real life ubblol

loveya dave hug

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate