Forums > Meet Others > Neon Shaolin goes down.... under

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hello wonderous people of Oz...

As of 18th of September shall be making my way towards your part of the southern hemisphere for an 8month visit (and a long-needed break from the UK)

Main reason is to visit all you lovely people down there for major spinn-age and working for a living to keep me there as long as possible.

My main concrete plans are Melbourne Juggling Convention in er... Melbourne... and Common Ground in Adelaide. Otherwise it's pretty much a tumbleweed's life for me until May. I plan to visit at least Sydney and Brisbane (and that common tourist trap Alice Springs)

As far as I know I will be staying with Pineapple Pete from MJC till Common Ground.

If anyone has any other events I may be interested or if anyone can accommodate me whilst on my travels do let me know.

Hope to see you guys down there!

Peace Out xx

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Oh yes, I forgot to put 'Actual Size' next to my pics.

You can fit me in your pocket! biggrin

rolleyes

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
MY LAST DAY AT MY JOB!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Then 2 weeks of sorting stuff out. (i.e. finding my passport!)

Gabe. Would you be able to put me up for a week before Common Ground if I decide to visit Brisbane after Melbourne JC?

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

You can fit me in your pocket! biggrin

Oo! Can I put you inside a contact-ball-sized sphere and have you run up and down my arm? biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Like a Hamster! That'd be cool! biggrin

JUST your arm...?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:

... if I decide to visit Brisbane after Melbourne JC?

That's an... interesting... order to do things in!

Gabe. Would you be able to put me up for a week before Common Ground?

Possibly, It depends a bit on the family illness/situation. Both my daughter and I are hell sick with flu at the moment ( she went down just before 2UberOz, me just after), and I have just started a full time job (that I have just dragged myself out of bed to get ready for. as in, I am NOT on Hop right now, I am checking the train times, right wink)

So although we have room etc we may not, for once, have emotional/health space. But that IS a few weeks away so chances are, yes. Is that scarily vague enough for you? ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
What can I say? I'm a retard with no respect for geography...

I think Brisbane before CG was a bit of a stretch but I wanted to check out Brisbane to decide whether to settle in Melb or Bris before I started working ASAP...

Plan could be to stay in Melb till New Year (Woodford Folk Festival) and stay in Brisbane afterwards...

Hope you and your daughter are feeling better. Afterall, I don't wanna contract man-flu (believe me, it's deadly wink )

Things are conspiring to stop me arriving. First of all an evil set of drillbits placed itself on top of my passport causing me to panic for at least a week. In turn I went to order travellers cheques from my bank, only to find they have ordered CURRENCY. Which is fine if you don't mind risking losing ALL you cash without the option of replacing it.... I would be angry if it weren't for my zen-like personality. The fact that I signed without fully reading the order form is beside the point...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Now currently in Hong Kong at my Aunt and Uncle's (one of many here). Gonna sort out my Hong Kong ID card tomorrow and MAY or may not go to Mainland China to visit some long lost distant relatives. Depending on my slack/insistant my dad is. Kinda scared as it's a 6hr bus ride and I don't speak their dialect! Eek... Alternative is going electronics-shopping with said Uncle...

Not long to go now... biggrin biggrin biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hope everything is going great for you mate. hug
Reminds me of when I had hobnobs in hong kong ubblove

J.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
eek

Jeez! You go to the Far East and instead of sampling the local cuisine you eat HOBNOBS!!?

Bloody Tourist!

Cheers dude! hug stay uber...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No.. I had an hour long stop over in the airport and opened the pack that I had especially taken with me so I could eat "Hobnobs in Hong Kong" biggrin

Its not liked I lived off biscuits for a week! ubblol

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
If you need more places to stay in Melb there's a futon for you at mine hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:

Like a Hamster! That'd be cool! biggrin

JUST your arm...?

I can go one better than that. Both arms tongue

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
By the way, I can give a little advice on fruit picking in Oz..

DON'T!!!!

Unless you can't avoid it. There are exception of course, but a lot of the farmers (who largely are in a pretty bad financial state due to the drought) really do screw over backpackers. I wound up doing about 4 months of agricultural work.. the last month was the only one I made any money, 'cos I found one good boss.

One person paid me what worked out as £1.25 an hour (piece rates and nothing to pick)..
Another guy I worked for for 4 weeks, then he declared bankrupt instead of paying up, and gave a bunch of us a fake business number so we couldn't even use the month on the second year visa application..
I could go on..

Seriously, do it if you'*have* to, but you really won't make money unless you get a lot luckier than I was..
Go for the bar work biggrin
Maybe bump into you at some point over here (or NZ) though I think I'm in Brisbane until the end of october now..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Thats a good point. Ive heard a few dodgy things with some of the Woofers too.

Other places are happy to pay at least a smeller wage as well as bed and food. But there arent on the tourst strip and in small towns.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:

I think Brisbane before CG was a bit of a stretch but I wanted to check out Brisbane to decide whether to settle in Melb or Bris before I started working ASAP...

Plan could be to stay in Melb till New Year (Woodford Folk Festival) and stay in Brisbane afterwards...

Hope you and your daughter are feeling better. Afterall, I don't wanna contract man-flu (believe me, it's deadly wink )

just realised our collective household should update - we have recovered from uberoz, and the flu which hit the other housemates has migrated on. Lovely sunny days now - and the pools just about warm enough for a dip - so happy sunny open house is back ubbrollsmile

so if your still heading up this way pre-CG (or post for that matter), offer of spare bed & much silliness is open.

hug2
Ed & Gabe

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Currently sitting in my Aunt and Uncle's getting ready for bed.

Have been seeing a few places in Hong Kong. (Not many, seen them all now over the years tongue) Brought a video camera - correction - had one bought for me by over-generous relatives who sneakily bought me one as a gift under the pretense that I would pay them back when I get back to England. Only to refuse my promise of repayment! Oh horror...

Visited mainland China (just across the border) for all of 3 hours(!) for a back and foot massage administered by young and underpaid girls (my dad flirted with them on my behalf as I don't know Mandarin ubblol), a quick dinner and a tour of the public tube system (London definitely need to replace theirs!)

Spent a day with other relatives but mostly spent it playing with their dogs and watching movies.

Have a another day of dinner and shopping (I have nothing to buy but they are VERY insistant!) before getting on the plane and going down under! biggrin biggrin biggrin

P.S. It's too bloody warm... I know that's strange considering where I am going but it's the fact that it's hot and humid outside but like a fridge freezer indoors with the aircon turned up to full (I'm sure that REALLY doesn't help in the long term!). HK should start talking to the climate change people. (I've given up on China). Erm.... yes... my flight tomorrow.... redface

Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

No.. I had an hour long stop over in the airport and opened the pack that I had especially taken with me so I could eat "Hobnobs in Hong Kong" biggrin

Its not liked I lived off biscuits for a week! ubblol

You say that like it was a bad thing... tongue mmmm ubblove ChocHobNobs...

Did you take advantage of the smoking rooms in the airport? I know I will ubblove

triskaidekia & Gnor Thanks for the warning. It would've been nice to put my back into some REAL work for a change instead of a cushy desk job. Though hopefully I will still be indulging in SOME kind of fruit-picking wink

Speaking of which...

Dentrassi Cheers medearie! The ski-trip with Petey has fallen through so I may very well be heading up to Brissie before CG (depends on travel prices and how desperate I am for work if/when my funds dry up within the first week biggrin)

Roarfire Again thanks for the offer. I'm sure that will come in useful when Pete and family have had enough of me or throw me out for sexual harrassment (His dad IS tasty tongue)

Written by: Brenn

I can go one better than that. Both arms tongue

eek OUCH...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon

young and underpaid girls (my dad flirted with them on my behalf)

confused
Flirting... with girls? That's a first for you surely? wink

ubblove ChocHobNobs...

ubblove indeed.. i think also :drool: ubblove

Did you take advantage of the smoking rooms in the airport?

Yes, but only because I thought I rather have a smoke and be on the plane not wanting one for the next 12 hours, rather than not have one, and spend the next twelve hours wishing I had.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Funny thing my dad KNOWS about me! He just refuses to speak about it, as do I, but honestly I'd be the same if I were into girls! ubblol Now what I meant was he was asking the girls if they thought I was goodlooking (I think they nodded, but I dunno if they were being polite or that as was the only man under 40 there that wasn't being loud and obnoxious! ubblol)

Yeah I was a bit thrown by the fact the smoking rooms were still there after the imposed smoking ban. Then I remembered that a FAR higher percentage of HK residents smoke than they do in England! (Not that I'm condoning smoking at all, it's a filthy habit)

I need to stock up on Almond Snickers and Dark Chocolate M&Ms and Malteasers ubblove

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey.. you arrive tomorow smile

see you then i guess biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Look forward to meeting you Mr. Neon smile hug

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
There shall be many hugs awaiting! hug

Kupo!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
My arms and legs will be open to receive such hugs! biggrin

Just awaiting my Uncle to come home from work, go to dinner then off to the airport! for a 9-hour flight. Should I bother sleeping! Can I even sleep! umm

Sod it!

See you guys soon!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
hug have an awesome time, take care and don't get too cramped up on the flight smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
To my Australian friends; Hug my Mancunian friend please for me smile

Neon: Give UCOF Hugs to everyone there for me, and tell them I miss them frown smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
we miss you too jonny hug

( ubblol on HoP at work already.. on your first day, well done tongue hug )

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I have given Petey a UCOF huggie. No one else though as I haven't met anyone else yet!

It's been a lovely day. Pete picked me up from the airport and went home. Most of the journey involved me lugging my extremely heavy and unbalanced suitcase around, a tour of Petey's impressively huge house and having a spin! Just had dinner and now he's gone to band practice. I could've gone with him but I like having space to myself when being creative and so I hope to afford others the same luxury. Besides I have boring tax stuff to sort out ASAP...

hug @ UCOF

Yakumo: Wasn't possible... it's economy class frown

But I'm here now. One less thing major thing to worry about... biggrin

wave

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Welcome to Aus Neon smile I'm sure I'll see you in the coming days! hug

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Indeed! Hope to meet you at the Sunday meet!

I like meat.

Kupo!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
You damn Aussies!

Stealing Dave like this! **Shakes Fist**

Make the most of the time with him.
Manchester will certainly not be quite the same for the next few months.

Glad to hear you're there ok dude. Keep us updated on the situation down under (They'll never suspect a thing wink )

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Hahaha, we're a desert country surrounded by oceans! You'll never find him! Mwahahaha!

Kupo!

Page: ...