Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire Breathing story, technics, and Qs

Login/Join to Participate

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
The other night I had gotten asked to do a fire breath. The only reason I considered and agreed is because I had practiced with water, done some fairly exstenive research, and we had some high proof alcohol. I was more open so alcohol since if swallowed you just get drunk and not poisoned.

So low and behold I practiced with water a few times, lit up the torch, held it 18 in away, took a drink, and proceded to do the breath. Aparently the flame was ok..not spectacular, but my mouth was on fire from the alcohol. I decided since I was spinning anyways to try the lamp oil.

Again held the torch 18 in. away did a small prayer and did a breath. It was hot but absolutely amazing and very big. Finished off wwhat was in my mouth. It seems alittle goes along way.

I decided since I liked it to do one more. This time took more fuel and did a breath holding the torch 18 in. or so away. This time the flame came back to meet me very close.
I had mentally prepared and practiced what to do in case of a blowback with water. "when to breath, get rid of the torch, and spit and wash out my mouth" So I did so. I turnned out fine with some singed hair. I freaked out since it was so close.

I thought I might have swallowed some like the way you swallow a bit of mouthwash after spitting. I felt alittle ewie every once and awile but after reading some post found that seems to be normal. I want to encourage every one to be very careful considering how close I came to major trouble.

SO! I have some Qs. Is alcohol totally useless? should the torch be closer? I have been wondering what happened and figured I need to practice misting more. Was colmons too volitule? Ill get back to the Qs I have to go

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Coleman is probably the culprit in this. It is a bit volatile to be doing blows with. Alcohol is worse. Most breathers I know will use two seperate fuel sorces: one for torches (coleman is exelent of transfers and lights up fast) and one for blowing (paraffin generally, but some prefer Kerosene).

I think Pele wrote something up a while back on different fuels and what's good for what.

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Yes, the alcohol burnned my mouth very badly so I decided to use coleman. I didnt look since it was my first time but the flame seemed fairly close. then the last time it came too close for comfort. I will definately research on fuel now. If anyone has any tips on techique please share (I will post the video soon).
I would allso like to know if anyone else practices something different. Like a scenereo where there is a blowback or something.
(I know many of you insist on extensive research on the topic before posting, but I dont have time to search through since most of my internet time is at work, and most threads are at least a year old)

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/FireBreathing.php

also: pele's interview: https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/2_4_5

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
thank you for the links and your concern. I have seen the vid....Im not THAT guy. I aprieciate the help. I never wanted to at first but its probally the fastest way to performing especially in the states.

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
I'll agree with you there. Most of our troop know how to blow fire, and nothing exited the crowd like a few big booms in the middle of a perormance.

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
oh, of course. I saw these guys "the warriors of light" they blew fire while doing a buzz saw with their poi. is that how you guys do it or do you use a traditional torch?

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Kinda do it all... We've done blows off poi, staff, and fans. We also have a guy (also our mighty leader) who specializes in different types of blows using traditional torches. We may or may not still have our technical fire performer who does more things like transfers and plume passes.

our website is still under construction (though we've had it for a couple years, but we do have a myspace we never use:

https://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=118848450

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Is there anything you would sugest on getting started? Either with a troupe or other places. Anything would be helpful. I did start poi 6 years ago though I learned most of what I know all by myself.

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
oof, loaded question... At least around here in MN Fire Breathers/manipulators have gained a bit of a "secret society" status, due to the danger factor involved in breathing. Most wont give anybody a thread of info unless they completely trust you, and even then it's just the basics like fuels and such.

If you dig deep enough at https://www.fyretr.com/ you can get some valuable info though.
EDITED_BY: xjere (1186087081)

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
thank you I will check out both sites as soon as I get to a personal computer. So forgive me if I say anything prematurely on the subject. The comp at work blocks sites like myspace and tribe and fyrter.
Underground, thats kinda wierd. Its not like you have the same worries that rave promoters do. Why would you need to be hidden, and even then how do you perform in that sense?
If you have any other websites or people I could talk to you could PM them to me or post it here.
Thank you for your help...if you want to see what its on my myspace page under the same name.

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
It's not underground, just not something that's casually talked about. A lot of people consider fire-breathing/eating a "trade secret." It's like asking David Copperfield how to make the Statue of Liberty disappear. It's not information you're going to get without being completely trusted.

On another note, it's going to be impossible to get any info off the Myspace site, as some of my colleages hold the same beliefs I described above.

Mephisto's site (fyretr) will be the best option on getting info. just going through the tips section will give you the basics. He really is the most spectacular breather I know.

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
ok, thanks man